1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I pod interface or New HU?

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Cris_L, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Cris_L

Cris_L New Member

Hello all!
    I've just bought a 54 plate A3 S line, absolutely loving it but I miss having my I pod in the car. The head unit that is in the car now is a concert single cd player. I had planned on changing the stereo for a new one with ipod connectivity, but having read a few bits it doesnt seem so straight forward as changing a stereo used to be.

I've changed a few stereos over the years but to be honest I was planning on just getting halfords to install a new one to save me the bother this time around but I've read something about needing to rewire a few things in order to get it to work properly, is that correct? I wouldnt have a clue about this!

I've also seen threads suggesting an ipod interface might be the best bet, is one of there compatible with the concert and if so how tricky is installation? will I need the radio code after installing it as this didnt come with the manual. The only thing that puts me off the interface is they are nearly as much as a new stereo costs...

Thanks to anyone who take the time to reply :sly:
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. s8craig

s8craig Active Member

Dension gateway 100 ISO (CAN version) is what you want, it will integrate with the Concert HU on the CD changer port and display track information in the DIS. It charges all the latest Ipod/Iphones. I have a couple in the back of the car and I'm in Alsager J16 om Monday morning if you are interested in an installation.
  3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

An xcarlink is only about £70 IIRC so no idea what cheapshit HU you'd be getting from Halfords for that. I wouldn't let the monkeys at Halfords change my wipers let alone a stereo. You'll need £50 just for the wiring adapters to get any aftermarket HU to work so an iPOD interface is definately the way forward.