I need advice on chips!

gbhdavies

Reaction score
I spoke to Jabba yesterday re: a chip for my car (1999 S3 on a V plate) and was told that they currently can't remap the car and probably won't be able to until late next year. Is my car difficult to chip for some reason?I am tempted to go for the APR chip, but not knowing a lot about this kind of thing I was looking for advice from anyone in the know. I've seen the list of all the chip tuning companies and dealers and was wondering what the difference between chips are, or is it down to personal preference?
GBH

[ QUOTE ]
GBH said:
I spoke to Jabba yesterday re: a chip for my car (1999 S3 on a V plate) and was told that they currently can't remap the car and probably won't be able to until late next year. Is my car difficult to chip for some reason?I am tempted to go for the APR chip, but not knowing a lot about this kind of thing I was looking for advice from anyone in the know. I've seen the list of all the chip tuning companies and dealers and was wondering what the difference between chips are, or is it down to personal preference?
GBH

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at this

<font color="red"> COMPLIMENTS OF GAMBBA </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Just to save you a bit of time ploughing through the search engines I've put my choice of top/recognised tuners for Audi's (VAG), and although originally was aimed at chip tuning encompasses general tuning as well, and does have a focus on the UK market;

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD* tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
REVO- www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html - One of the first tuners to offer OBD* tuning in UK. Switchable options using switch (Dongle).
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.

European VAG tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT- www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM- www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
Projectzwo- www.projektzwo.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - Again a long runing tuner that's well respected.
SKN- www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on www.scottsmototune.co.uk - Not so well known but good products nonetheless.
Upsolute - www.upsolute.com - Austrian tuner, well known worldwide.

Other recognised tuners for chips mainly;
Superchips - www.superchips.co.uk - Regarded as a general tuner offering nothing special, but map on 1.8T does produce good results!
Wetterauer - www.wetterauer.de - Not so well known german tuner, but still heard of. Used in both the US and Europe.
DBM - www.dbmengineering.nl - Similar to Jabbasport but in Holland. Nice product range with carbon air boxes. Produced a 420bhp S3 for the road!!
Bullpower - www.bullpower.nl - Very little known about this tuner.
Sportec- www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.
Powerchips- www.powerchipgroup.com - Hardly ever mentioned on the forums, like Superchips, but look to provide good results. The website is extremely good, and the detailed datasheets provided within minutes of an enquiry are full of info. Available through www.mongooseexhausts.com or www.motorsportworld.co.uk &lt;http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk&gt;
Upsolute - www.upsolute.com - Austrian tuner, well known worldwide.

The below tuners are mainly for the US guys, as some tuners are not quite so well known or even available within Europe or have different US websites to the above.
APR - www.goapr.com - Very well known both in Europe and the States and stage III tuning gives very good figures.
GIAC- www.giacusa.com - Again another well known tuner in the states.
Neuspeed - www.neuspeed.com - Well known in the states, but less so than the two above.
Greedspeed - www.greedspeed.com - I don't know much about these guys but the Yanks do from what it seems.
TAP (Total Audi Performance) - www.tap1.com - Again I know nothing about these guys but they do across the water
AmD - www.amdtechnikusa.com - Newbie to the States, but based on the European arm will provide good products.
Forge Motorsport - www.forgemotorsport.com - No chip tuning of their own but they do offer a number of great tuning products for VAG cars.

All have their merits, and really it's a personal choice, and you have to check around before choosing in my opinion. There are many other smaller tuners who offer chips etc. but are not widely recognised, but can offer options cheaper than above, so additonal research will pay off.
Do not think for one moment that the above is comprehensive, it is only my opinion and based on my knowledge of tuning, the products offered and comments I have picked up on my travels and is intended to be unbiased, but I do have a weak spot for Oettinger these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thanks very much m8. There's more than enough there to be going on with. When I've made a decision I'll let you know.
Cheers
GBH

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Take a look at this

<font color="red"> COMPLIMENTS OF GAMBBA </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

It's contagious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:

It's contagious

[/ QUOTE ]

I fear for you all then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

ERR UMM DOH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif....i must read threads more carefully.....right 1000 lines...i must read carefully during lunchtime i must read carefully during lunchtime i must read carefully during lunchtime ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[censored]lovely[censored] [censored]looking[censored] [censored]B[censored]&[censored]amp[censored];[censored]B[censored] [censored]exhaust[censored] [censored]there[censored] [censored]for[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]s3[censored]. [censored]shame[censored] [censored]they[censored] [censored]not[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]uk[censored].
<[censored]br[censored] />

WTF going on in that post...?

i said lovely looking b&amp;B exhaust, shame there is no uk supplier

admin.. Adam... abouve appeared to happen whn i edited a spelling mistake...

[ QUOTE ]
GBH said:
GBH

[/ QUOTE ]
GBH - read this post for info:

link about remapping

Rich, Gammba and Imola S3 and everybody else,
thank you for all the advice re: the chip, especially the good words about AmD. Ironically I read the post about an hour after I'd booked my car into Awesome GTI for an APR chip (also used to work in Bicester)! I hope I don't live to regret my decision, but I'm sure I won't. I'm going for an APR chip plus optimax progrm, DV, Milltek exhaust and cruise control (using OE audi parts and stalks. Cost is £1285 all inclusive which seems to be a competitive price. As for AmD all I can say is keep up the excellent work. I'm sure as I've not finished with the car yet I'm sure I'll use them soon. Just sorry I didn't read the post earlier.
I'll let you know how it all goes
Cheers for the help
GBH