1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new clutch

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by giorgos_cupra, May 23, 2008.

1. giorgos_cupra

giorgos_cupra New Member

Hello guys and girls.My clutch after almost two years gave up...Now i'm in the market for a new one with a light weight flywheel.I know about the chatter and all,but i don't care.My car is a dd but i oftenly use it for drag...Official or not;)...My car is a 98 1.8t quattro.Chipped at 225 ps.But the next spring probably my 28rs is going in,so i need something to handle that...I tried to get in touch with southbend amerika,but no luck...So,i need your advice on a new strong clutch...TIA!!!
  2. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

I have the stage 4 southbend. Is good, pedal is a lot firmer than before and the bite is right near the bottom of the pedal travel.
  3. giorgos_cupra

giorgos_cupra New Member

hey what up soupie?Probably you don't remember me...I'm at audizine too.We have the same wheels and wheel spacers,probably drop too,i'm on h&r race.Anyway,i know about sb but i can't get in touch with them...I want a stage 4 with cryo and a lwfw...Sent them an email a week ago,but nothing...
  4. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

Strange I got a reply later that day.

Send Bitterchild a pm on AZ and he will sort you out. Say I recommended him and he will sell it cheaper than others hopefully. He should remember me as I asked a lot of questions and got a neuspeed tip off him also.

Get some pics up of your car to jog my memory, will be nice to see your car.
  5. giorgos_cupra

giorgos_cupra New Member

I'll post some pics tomorrow at the zine with the new bumper and here too.I'll send a pm to bitter right now and see if something works out...

ps.should i post them here or is there another section?
  6. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

Here will be fine
  7. jcb

jcb Active Member

I do southbend clutches and flywheel at 10-15% less than the website. pm me for details
    cheers
  8. Andy.B

Andy.B Member

Soupie are you running a single or duel mass fly? If its the std one how are you finding it with the stage 4??? Was thinking it might be a bit OTT for the 250bhp power im planning to run lol
  9. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

I am running the standard duel mass.

I find it alright, I decided to get stage 4 as it was not much more than stage 3 and I hope to eventually get decent power so got that incase.
  10. Andy.B

Andy.B Member

Ahh i see, i was kind of worried that the std flywheel wouldnt take a powerful clutch, after an incident i had with my GF's galaxy and her DM flywheel.
    Think i might have to go for the same clutch if its working nice with your flywheel, i like to hear real world opinions on stuff before i buy it rather than company gumph.. Thanks fot the input :)
  11. jcb

jcb Active Member

DM flywheel horror stories tend to be due to people having refitted a Unservicable unit.
    Southbend have a check list on their website for refitting flywheels, basically tests the shock absorption of the rubber in the flywheel.
    if in doubt fit a new one, if they work on S4/RS4's they can;t be too flimsy.
    personally I will be sticking with a DM as I am told they can be noisy.

basically you are swapping the sprung hub of the friction plate for a sprung flywheel which uses rubber instead of springs