1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i might have a turbo problem?i need some help

97_A4_1.8Turbo Dec 13, 2007

1. 97_A4_1.8Turbo

97_A4_1.8Turbo Member

i have notice a while ago that after i drive for a while it seems that my turbo heats up and slightly glow red in the section where it connects to the catconverter.
    does any one know wat the problem is???

2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

If its glowing under normal driving, the cat is probably blocked. Either rip it out and chuck in a test pie, or replace,depending what you smog laws are there

3. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

vag com and check your timing and A/F ratios.
    if you cat was blocked it would effect others things as well.

does it drive OK?

4. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Well-Known Member

Is your fuel pump up to the job? If not, you might be running higher than normal EGT's.

5. 97_A4_1.8Turbo

97_A4_1.8Turbo Member

it drive ok but its not putting out a lot of boost its like 3-4psi lower than it use to be

6. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

ive got the EXACT same problem!! i cant say if i lost or losing power because ive just replaced loads of pipes and clips and a new 710n bov. so im at the mo runing at 8-9psi and my turbo glows slightly it also smells of hot metal in the car. and when i increase the psi on manual boost controller the twhole tubo glowed red and the thuds at 3k revs and judders and wont let me past 3k!!!!!

7. mac1403

mac1403 Member

A test pie? LOL......just pictured someone trying to work out where to put it!

8. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

American for cat bypass pipe

9. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

did some looking else where and it prob is the CAT blocked and you may need a new DV why your at it, take the O2 sensor out and see if the boost goes up.

10. 97_A4_1.8Turbo

97_A4_1.8Turbo Member

how do i make it so that the check engine light wont go on faulting low pressure in the cat?
    becuse i put a testpipe in (decated it)