1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I may have been a little hot headed...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Randomjim, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    Was at work today and my area manager and the general manager for the company came down to the shop. After an hour of them moaning at me and blaming everything on me (the assistant manager for the last 3 years and getting paid 1p an hour over the minimum wage) i had enough and told them where they could stick their job. As i was leaving the threatened me with a bad reference which i don't think your allowed to do... am i correct?

I know i should of waited untill i'd found a new job but i just couldn't take it anymore. Stupid of me?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. Geordie Mike

Geordie Mike Yeee-haw

[Aug 7, 2007]
    If you're asking the question I guess you suspect the answer already. As to the reference, I would suggest that was also a bit hot headed on their part. That is a real minefield. Typically oil companies will now only confirm that x worked for them over this period now.

Good luck finding something, presuming that is the way you go.

Mike
  4. DriveByShooters

DriveByShooters Editor Audi-Sport.Net Magazine

[Aug 7, 2007]
    You're right matey. They can't give you a BAD reference...BUT....they can REFUSE to give a reference altogether. Which in the eyes of a future employer is just as bad...if not worst.!
  5. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    I wouldn't use them as a reference anyway they've had it in for me for ages. lol.

I've been stuck in a rut there for ages and i'm feeling really good to be out of there. Might be stacking shelves in tescos for a bit but i'll proberably getmore money lol.
  6. DriveByShooters

DriveByShooters Editor Audi-Sport.Net Magazine

[Aug 7, 2007]
    Remember the saying "do you want fries with that" and you'll go far dude!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
  7. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    Lmao cheers buddy i might draw the line at working at macdonalds lol
  8. motorbikez

motorbikez Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    Best of luck in finding new job mate, there are plenty out there, hope you get one wihtout some other arse giving you grief.Don't worry about reference if you explain cicumstances to prospective employer upfront you should be OK.Providing you were doing your job right.
  9. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    Yea i hadn't done anything wrong. The sales assistant quit with me so i don't think they're too happy with me lol :)
  10. unkle

unkle Beer God

[Aug 7, 2007]
    No they arent allowed to give you a bad reference per se, the worst they can do is refuse to give you a reference which to a future employer doesnt look very good, depending on how good your attendance/disciplinary record is strictly speaking you could go back to your job tommorow as you can claim it was all heat of the moment stuff.

If the company you work for is a large national/multi-national one then they will probably have a formal procedure for people quitting and they cant take a verbal resignation (ie you say "I quit" but they wont remove you from their payroll/rota/whatever for a week or two and then record you as non-attendance/not returning/resignation without notice).

The best thing you could do is speak to your HR department or a union rep (assuming you dont work for a small company who dont have either), they deal with this stuff everyday and if they are any good at their job they will find a solution, yeah you might have to go back to a job you dont want but at least you can work your notice and still be employed for a few weeks while you search for some alternative employment.

A lot of employers nowdays wont let their managers give references for fear of their organisation being sued for libel by ex-employees, in my case the arseholes I shuffle bits of paper for send all reference requests to Capita, how do the retards that mess up my wages/overtime/expense's every month know if Im any good at my job??!?!?!?!
  11. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    It is a national company (motor-world) never work for them lol. I've been looking for a new job for a few weeks now but the problem was not having the time to go out looking. Working 9-6 monday to friday, 9-5.30 saturday and 10-4 sunday. Now i have all the time in the world. And in the mean time a guy i know at a recruitment agency is sorting me out some well paid temping.
  12. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    Lol may be a bit of a trek as i live on the south coast lol. But if i get stuck :friends:
  13. shineydave

shineydave Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    motor world are a pretty big organisation so they should have a HR department. ask for an exit interview with them and explain the reason you want one is to clarify your position because two senior managers have threatened you with a bad reference and effectively "ganged up" on you. in your position does it need two managers to speak to you? depending on the tone and length of the conversation it could be construed as constructive dismissal in that they made your position untennable at work.

did they offer any constructive advice or help? have you had previous conversations about your work performance, tell them how long you've been a loyal and hardworking employee (obviously only if you are, lol) and point out times when you've gone over and beyond the call of duty, write it all down so you have something to refer to when you talk to them.

depending on how long you've worked there explain that they've invested a lot of time and money training you and that'll all be lost if you walk. be reasonable with them and put your case across politely, you want these people to think you're the bees knees because rest assured those two managers will be covering their arses even as we speak and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

in my experience most firms that are regarded as bad employers are only so because of deficits in senior and middle management who prefer to sit in their ivory towers offering no training, help and advice untill it all goes tits-up then they blame the very people who they've let down in the past by their lack of leadership.
  14. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 7, 2007]
    Thats exactly what someone else said. They basically said either get the store to the highest standard and reach your unachievable targets or we're going to sack you.

The manager of our branch handed in his notice yesterday after running the place for 2 weeks. So i think my area manager planned to get a new manager in, for me to train him then the new manager would decide whether or not he/she wanted to keep me.

I'm not planning on taking it any further, i think i should of quit a long time ago. Perhaps with a new job lined up first but we can't have everything lol.
  15. motorbikez

motorbikez Active Member

[Aug 8, 2007]
    (I'm not planning on taking it any further, i think i should of quit a long time ago. Perhaps with a new job lined up first but we can't have everything lol.[/quote])

I think you are wise not taking it any further draw a line under this experience and go forward.
  16. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 8, 2007]
    Cheers buddy :icon_thumright:
  17. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

[Aug 8, 2007]
    good for you RJ! got the anger out and told them where to go, but now you've calmed down I reckon you should type a letter of resignation to your head office and explain what a bunch of w@nkers they were to you.

Plenty of recruitment agencies out there. Good Luck!
  18. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 8, 2007]
    Just been in to see my old recruitment consultant so im back on the books and he reckons he'll have no problem finding me work.

I'm guessing as i walked out i won't be getting paid at the end of the month? (work a month in advance then get paid)
  19. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Aug 8, 2007]
    Refusing to give a reference isn't just as bad. Some companies policy is not to give references.
  20. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Aug 8, 2007]
    I'd say you did the right thing, if your not happy and taking a whole load of **** walking out is going to make you get another job. Definately good for motivation.

J.
  21. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

[Aug 8, 2007]
    Some wise words from Shineydave there. I used to be a retail manager with The Link (the mobile phone people, recently sold to O2) & had a similar situation from my Area Manager. One day when i'd had enough of his bullying tactics I sent him a fax at home resigning then spent the next few hours on Word writing a 4 page complaint letter which I duely sent to the Dixons Stores Group Chairman, the Link's HR Director & the Links Managing Director. They were very interested in all I had to say & flew in an HR person from Scotland to meet with me a few times to discuss all the points of my complaint! I didnt hear a thing from my Area Manager, he didnt visit me again nor even confirm receipt of my resignation. Turns out a few months after I left he ended up leaving the company too, not sure if he was sacked or "politely asked to tender his resignation"!! Either way I had much satisfaction & had no problems with the "reference" from them, it amounted to confirming I was employed by them but as already discussed this is now the norm. I was even invited to the goodbye party thrown earlier this year in London when the sale of the Link to O2 was finalised ha ha ha!!!! Im a lot happier now in life with a good career plan ahead of me out of retail, best move I ever did. If you've really had a hard time from the Motorworld management then get right back at them, speak to their HR, write a full complaint against the area manager as it has to be investigated else their in breach of employment laws. If they get away with it this time, they'll keep making other peoples life a misery, get back at them by making a formal complaint & see how they squirm!! If you need any help PM me, glad to help based on my experiences.
  22. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 8, 2007]
    Part of me would love to get back at them. I know they were breaking the law on many occasions. For one i have worked on my own 9-6 with no break on over a dozen occasions. I should of fallen off a ladder or something and claimed some compo lol.
  23. shineydave

shineydave Member

[Aug 8, 2007]
    i just think that nowadays there's no excuse in any industry for bullying. if you don't raise these issues with someone then they'll just perpetuate it with the next person to fill your role. ultimately you'll be doing plenty of people a big service by bringing this into the open.
  24. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[Aug 8, 2007]
    Agreed, but they normally make this very clear when doing this - rather than just not giving a reference - letting the new employer know that it's nothing that the ex employee did, it's just policy.
  25. Nickynibbles

[Aug 9, 2007]
    Do it then! I too had the working on my own issue come up, totally against their own company policy and H&S legislation, did the Area Manager care though, not a bit! Spend some time writing a formal complaint, list all the issues & breaches of policy etc your now ex-boss did & send a few copies to the Directors so it really gets noticed. You'll feel a lot better afterwards!
  26. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

[Aug 9, 2007]
    Maybe you did, but didn't remember until now... :sly:
  27. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 9, 2007]
    Short term amnesia i like it ;)
  28. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

[Aug 9, 2007]
    Due to a nice little bump off the floor :wacko:
  29. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Aug 9, 2007]
    :idea:
  30. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Well after a few months of van driving an a bit of pub work i've found a job. Had an interview this morning an got a call back 2 hours later saying i start on tuesday. I'll be working in dispatch for a company that provide flexible circuit boards for the mod an various other people.

Less hours, no weekends and more money than my previous job. Sounds good to me.
  31. Dubplate

Dubplate Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    nice one...good luck fella and hope all goes well :icon_thumright:
  32. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Good work Jim. :)
  33. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Cheers guys :)
  34. recomdos

recomdos Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Nice one mate - well done!
  35. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    congratulations! all the beers on Jim. :beerchug:
  36. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Well done Jim.

Hope it all goes well.
  37. Nickynibbles

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Good news mate, its always better to earn more & work less in my opinion!!!
  38. motorbikez

motorbikez Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Pleased for you mate hope it all goes well.
  39. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Nov 9, 2007]
    well done mate :)
  40. Bula_82

Bula_82 Self Confessed Nightmare!

[Nov 11, 2007]
    The ones down here are all retailed as Carphone Warehouse now, out of interest how is that related to O2?

I too used to work for The Link, in possibly THE most quietest store on an industrial estate that was open till 7pm! I'm surprised we ever took enough to cover the rent, infact a couple of time we were on minus figures where someone wanted a refund but yet we never took any momey! lol

Sorry for the offtopicness.

Well done on the new job, i hope it brings more happiness than the old one, i too think you done the right thing, i used to work in Primark (was there for 5years) one day i'd had enough, and slightly different but i gave notice and left, with no other full time job to go to. If I hadn't done that i'd probably still be there 4yrs later.

The grass isnt always greener, but you never know till you try

:icon_thumright:
  41. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 13, 2007]
    I'm late to this thread, but well done, Jim. Seems to me you've handled a bad time pretty well.

Changing the subject, what part of Sussex are you in? I live on the outskirts of London now, but I grew up in Hailsham, and know the whole county pretty well.