1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have no brake lights

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Niknak, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Niknak

Niknak Member

[Mar 9, 2009]
    While driving home this evening ny dash board lit up like a christmas tree, thought oh OK a light bulb has gone, well I get out and check and none of my rear stop lights are working, any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ian
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 9, 2009]
    I expect it is the brake light switch, they are a known weak point on A4's I believe.

There is a switch replacement guide HERE which may be of use.

Found this on Audifans:

"With regards to the brake lights, A4's and many other VW group cars with ABS/ESP, they have a weakness in the brake light switch. It's a 4 pin switch and this sometimes wears badly, affecting the brake lights, ABS and ESP. Note - the brake lights on a B6 A4 work without the ignition. The last thing you want on a cold morning is a flat battery :-(
    It's about a fiver from GSF or about £7 from Audi. Simple 10 minute change aswell. A worthwhile investment"
  4. sse

sse New Member

[Mar 10, 2009]
    Hi - first post :)

I've been having a problem since december where the brakes are sometimes on overnight leaving a flat battery. Seems to be worse on a cold night - can the switch failure give these symptoms?

However it does seem that the brakes are on not just the lights - as I can move the auto selector from Park->Drive - or does the release of that baulk depend on the switch too?

Would be great to get this sorted as I want to keep the car if at all possible, but can't really rely on it at present.

A4 B6 2.0 Multitronic 2003/09

Thanks
    SSE
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 10, 2009]
    the auto selector lockout will only be done on the switch, not the actual hydraulic pressure produced from pressing the pedal, so a stuck on switch will mean no lockout.
  6. Niknak

Niknak Member

[Mar 10, 2009]
    All sorted now it was the brake switch!
  7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator