1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have no brake lights

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Niknak, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Niknak

Niknak Member

While driving home this evening ny dash board lit up like a christmas tree, thought oh OK a light bulb has gone, well I get out and check and none of my rear stop lights are working, any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ian

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I expect it is the brake light switch, they are a known weak point on A4's I believe.

There is a switch replacement guide HERE which may be of use.

Found this on Audifans:

"With regards to the brake lights, A4's and many other VW group cars with ABS/ESP, they have a weakness in the brake light switch. It's a 4 pin switch and this sometimes wears badly, affecting the brake lights, ABS and ESP. Note - the brake lights on a B6 A4 work without the ignition. The last thing you want on a cold morning is a flat battery :-(
    It's about a fiver from GSF or about £7 from Audi. Simple 10 minute change aswell. A worthwhile investment"

4. sse

sse New Member

Hi - first post :)

I've been having a problem since december where the brakes are sometimes on overnight leaving a flat battery. Seems to be worse on a cold night - can the switch failure give these symptoms?

However it does seem that the brakes are on not just the lights - as I can move the auto selector from Park->Drive - or does the release of that baulk depend on the switch too?

Would be great to get this sorted as I want to keep the car if at all possible, but can't really rely on it at present.

A4 B6 2.0 Multitronic 2003/09

Thanks
    SSE

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

the auto selector lockout will only be done on the switch, not the actual hydraulic pressure produced from pressing the pedal, so a stuck on switch will mean no lockout.

6. Niknak

Niknak Member

All sorted now it was the brake switch!

7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Nice! :respekt: