I have a Prius ....

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
but not for long, the local dealer is trying to convince local companies about it and its green credentials, I'll try and get some pictures up but lets just say its a relaxing car and it feels odd - very odd to drive, its a bit like a forklift without the prongs !

so far its averaging 39 mpg .... my tdi does that with me driving like a loon ! still at least the eco car doesn't try to cripple me.

they are a **** car with crap car credentials, the place where they make the batteries has killed all vegetation within 20 miles radius, they compared a hummer & a prius for footprint etc, taking into consideration making, using & breaking I think over 10-20 years I cant remember exactly, the hummer won hands down, mostly cause of the batteries, what a total load of ******, advertise it as green but far from it.

they are a **** car with crap car credentials, the place where they make the batteries has killed all vegetation within 20 miles radius, they compared a hummer & a prius for footprint etc, taking into consideration making, using & breaking I think over 10-20 years I cant remember exactly, the hummer won hands down, mostly cause of the batteries, what a total load of ******, advertise it as green but far from it.

so you wouldn't buy one then !!!!

It would be greener to buy a Land Rover Discovery. Utter pants.

Ever noticed how smug the drivers of these cars look? They think everybody is sitting in awe at their green motoring statement, I just think ****!

It would be greener to buy a Land Rover Discovery. Utter pants.

Ever noticed how smug the drivers of these cars look? They think everybody is sitting in awe at their green motoring statement, I just think ****!

Never noticed cause they dont even come into my vision cause they are so stupid & ignorant of how the car actually came about, if you were to tell them of its genuine green credentials they would be depressed for life, lol

I think there's a cure, its called an audi

People who have Prius amuse me as they "think" they are being Green ! Well, until the Chinese (who are building a coal fired power station every week) and the Yanks cut their greenhouse gas emissions significantly, the Prius on UK roads is going to make absolutely s*d all difference to 'Global Warming'.....

Just thought I would mention that !

So are you the type thats says well cause they arent I wont either, if we all took that stance then we'd have had world war 3 years ago, I mean seriously I dont call the Prius a green statement whatsoever, but I wont go & buy a 5 litre v10 just cause I think hey wont make a ***** load of difference

Go to Iran & mention the words Catalytic Convertor & see what they say, 6 million cars with no restriction on fumes, total disregard for human life & the world as a whole & they say Israel should be wiped of the map, not that I condone any nuclear warfare but you get my point, ignorance is definitely not an excuse for not caring about the enviroment, the Al Gore movie is the truth, wish more would start to realise it alot sooner then we'd be getting somewhere rather than closer to the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" which I personally see coming at some stage, earths a delicate place & we're just fecking it up left right & centre IMHBO

the local dealer is trying to convince people you don't have to plug it in to charge it up. Its an odd car, its quite and reasonably comfortable certainly compared to the A3 but if you cover motorway mileage get a Focus TDCi or if you want something quick the latest 330d should do the trick, i don't buy into its greeness and it returns low mpg, it isn't beating the A3 yet.

the local dealer is trying to convince people you don't have to plug it in to charge it up. Its an odd car, its quite and reasonably comfortable certainly compared to the A3 but if you cover motorway mileage get a Focus TDCi or if you want something quick the latest 330d should do the trick, i don't buy into its greeness and it returns low mpg, it isn't beating the A3 yet.

so again why have you got one of them?

local dealer dropped it off monday and picks it up friday, they just want opinions of the car, oh and I look after the fleet cars at work hence the reason I get it.

I knew you wernt stupid, lol, also you duplicated post

i like global warming!! Not as cold any more and summers are hottage!!

Ok... ill get back in my corner now!! :)

don't know what happened with the duplicate post its probably because i'm too damn impaceint !

Here we go again! :) First up - the "killed vegetation story" was a Daily Mail slur which is untrue (see http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-417227/Toyota-factory.html for their humbling apology).

Second, the main motivation for buying a Prius - and as an owner myself, something I can certainly vouch for - isn't about saving the environment, or because it's green, or because we're "tree-huggers" or any amount of the boring, regurgitated, tepid criticism that the car attracts. It's simply about pound notes. Over my 52-mile daily traffic-ridden commute in and out of West London, my 06 Prius returns 55-60mpg on unleaded (that's a measured figure, not from the MFD). Throw in £15 road tax, group 7 insurance, an 8-year hybrid powertrain warranty plus the top spot in the JD Power 2007 and 2008 surveys, and as an ownership proposition it's as good as it gets.

My wife now uses our Sportback 2.0TDI SE, and for comparison, the Prius saves me around £11.50 over the same commute based on superior fuel economy and the cheaper price of unleaded. No arguing with that. The fact that it's an easy, stress-free and quiet car to drive (and well-specced too; my T-Spirit has touch-screen DVD sat nav, Bluetooth, a parking camera and leather) will sadly be lost on those that love to hate its "green credentials", but there you go.

Well, I touched a raw nerve with my previous post.......I am all for getting green issues being highlighted and putting action into place.....
However, the way the UK government is going about implementing green stuff really p*sses me off....their green policy is to use it as an excuse simply to raise more tax, which is wasted in a grossly incompetant way........IF they really wanted to do something, WHY are they not building/replacing previously ripped up railway lines, where are all the new tram systems, etc.....but what we have is a cash strapped railway system, not enough railway carriages, and loads of stinking busses with hardly anyone on board....

Both my wife and I each have 30 odd mile round trip to work to work.....I would LOVE to be able to use trains & trams.....but cos there is no train station near work it would take me 2.5 hours to do a one way trip.....and I am certainly not going to spend 5 hours a day travelling to and from work every day using public transport

So, the plan is to 1) move closer to work, 2) get rid of one of our two cars, 3) ride bike/small moped to work...and 4) when my soon to be VED band K (£300 tax) car is old enough will sell and buy a smaller car (will simply rent a big car when we need it).....but I will be keeping current car as thanks to HM governments nasty retrospective VED taxation policy it has now lost so much in depreciation, I ain't changing it yet....

So, will be going a LOT greener and reducing our families C02 footprint...but will just take a bit of time :)

Not at all fella, it was a rhetorical reply to you, but good to see someone is doing something.

Some people are ignorant to whats going on out there, all this green effort is happening to little to slow, cars are now coming out with 70mpg ratings but they are still churning out crap, even if its less its still bad, they need to see its not more economical cars we need its more climate aware cars that dont churn out anything at all, by the time they realise this it will be to late anyway.

i like global warming!! Not as cold any more and summers are hottage!!

Two problems though mate;

1. What Summer? I must have blinked and missed the good weather.
2. It snowed for the first time in October in London since 1934.

in the 70's they were convinced the planet was cooling and we were heading for another ice age now it's warming.

wasnt even a blink mate, lol

yeah dont know which UK you lived in this year Alpine but definitely not hottage & definitely as cold to the point I expect it to snow down south east anyday now which is unusual.

Yes, have to agree, what summer - you go through winter really looking forward to the summer - and geez it just never stopped raining ......well, we are off to Lansarote in November, to get, hopefully, 2 consecutive days of sunshine........

Both my wife and I each have 30 odd mile round trip to work to work.....I would LOVE to be able to use trains & trams.....but cos there is no train station near work it would take me 2.5 hours to do a one way trip.....and I am certainly not going to spend 5 hours a day travelling to and from work every day using public transport

This is the same situation I was in when I bought my Prius. I got a terrific job in West London back in February, and for the first few months I commuted by train from Herts into Kings Cross, then used the tube out west. This was okay, but there were two distinct problems; one, it costs £280 per month with a season ticket plus Oyster charges, and two, while the morning journey was only an hour long, it was taking a minimum of 90 minutes to get home (I had to wait for the correct train at Kings Cross). Not good when you have a small family to rush home to.

So I looked at driving it. The brief was simple; the car had to be an automatic, thanks to the stop-start traffic, and it had to be as cheap as possible to run because my wife - who doesn't work right now to look after our 2-year-old - needs transport too (we kept our A3). After tireless research, the Prius came up trumps and the decision was made. If you ignore depreciation, the monthly cost is significantly cheaper than rail and in both directions the drive is around an hour.

I agree with Jonny that government policy on taxing CO2 is misled. After all, when all cars are capable of 100mpg and emit 50g/km of CO2, they'll still find another way of taxing us. But as I said in my previous post, money talks; if the train cost me significantly less than the car, then I'd have put up with the longer commute because it would be saving me money. It's the same with cars. While it is partly true that low-CO2 and high fuel economy go hand in hand, I think drivers will be attracted to "green cars" if only because they could save some of their own money running it - not because they're helping the environment.