1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate snow....

simon1303 Dec 17, 2010

1. simon1303

simon1303 Member

So, it takes me just over 3 hours to drive 20 miles home from work. get within spitting distance of the house and the car dies!

not what you want before Xmas.

i was sitting at traffic lights when the revs dropped like it was going to stall then revs came back to normal but the dash lights seem a little darker and the battery light comes on, pull away and notice that the power steering isnt working properly. car is still driving fine no lose of power. get a bit further along the road to where i can pull over and get out of the way of the other cars and i notice that the temp gauge is right up to 120! then i get the beep and the thermometer sign flashes up.

so turn off the engine and pop the bonnet. engine isnt that warm and ive got no steam like i would expect if it had over heated.

i reckon the AA are going to be fairly busy tonight and as im sooo close to home ive left it where it is till the morning.

any ideas what this could be? is it just because of the stop start journey home in the cold?

cars is a 1996 T Sport.

Thanks in advance

Simon

2. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

What engine is it exactly?

3. simon1303

simon1303 Member

1800 turbo. think its an AEB

4. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

Is the alternator drive belt still there?
    this would effect the power stearing and the lights dimming,

5. simon1303

simon1303 Member

no torch in the car an was too dark to see anything.

going to go back to it in the morning so will look then. is hte alternator belt easy to see?

Iam pretty useless when it comes to cars LOL

6. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Sounds like the belt to me. If there is a few pulleys at the front of the engine with no belt round them that will be it. Cant remember how easy it is to do,i did mine when i had the front off anyway.

7. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Yep, will be the Belt, probably caused by a faulty tensioner.

It drives the alternator, PAS and water pump, so the symptoms all ring true.

The tensioners go squint, and rip the belt up.

8. simon1303

simon1303 Member

cool thanks guys :)

9. pjw

pjw Member Audi A4

Pretty easy fix if its any consolation.

10. fARQUARE

fARQUARE Member

Cant remember my old aeb setup but I had a similar problem on my tdi. Turns out it was the alternator pulley, it moved forward on the shaft causing the belt to jump off. Hopefully your problem isn't tha.

11. simon1303

simon1303 Member

just been to look at it, aux belt has snapped. just how easy is it to replace?

luckily for me its broken down a few hundred yards from a friends house so i could possibly limp it to his place.

12. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

The hardest bit from memory is dropping the waterpump pulley to get the drive belt off to get the aux one in behind it.

15mm spanner to twist the tensioner back, i think that's it.

13. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

As i said above, get another tensioner for it too, usually its that that causes the problem!

14. simon1303

simon1303 Member

i need to get the timing belt done in 7000 miles so im halftempted to be lazy and pay someone to do both at the same time. not doing anything in this bloody snow though!

15. murran

murran Well-Known Member

yeah id get the recovery to take it to your garage then if the timing belts due soon.