I did it... I plasti dipped... Pics included.

blyths24

Reaction score
Hi y'all..

I did it, I bought a few cans and I went crazy, I did my wheels, my front grill and emblem. Very easy, but the wheels took me all day.

Here's the finished product...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 319
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: ScottD3, SmoothAssault and WOLF
Hi y'all..

I did it, I bought a few cans and I went crazy, I did my wheels, my front grill and emblem. Very easy, but the wheels took me all day.

Here's the finished product...

Very nice indeed. A job well done. :) x

Will be good to see how the plastidip holds out on the wheels.

Good job there!! :salute:

yeah I'm not too convinced just yet..... I have read lots of posts about hoe bad it is on wheels but also good ones! I guess it's just how you apply, I tried to stick to all the guides, so fingers crossed!

You can never have too much stealth! That looks great, well done indeed. Where did you get your plastidip from?

How durable is this stuff? I.e how will it fair with stone chips on the front grill/badge.

How durable is this stuff? I.e how will it fair with stone chips on the front grill/badge.

from what I've read pretty well, some people even suggest 'stones will literally bounce off' as its rubber based

Looks really good. I've done the front grills and the rear strip below the boot and have a few issues with them after a few months. Bit of peeling on one of the grills and a few chips on the strip from loading. Gonna get them vinyled along with the window surrounds eventually.

I've heard it's durable. Scott from the b5 forum has had his roof done for over a year now and it's still looking fine as far as I know.

Looks really good. I've done the front grills and the rear strip below the boot and have a few issues with them after a few months. Bit of peeling on one of the grills and a few chips on the strip from loading. Gonna get them vinyled along with the window surrounds eventually.

im keen to do my window surrounds too, any idea on price on vinyl?

Now that youve black on black on black'ed your car, you'll need to tint your rear brake cluster. Dont smoke it, just a slight tint.

Looking good get some tyre dressing on tyres look grey against the black wheels looks cool none the less

Now that youve black on black on black'ed your car, you'll need to tint your rear brake cluster. Dont smoke it, just a slight tint.

yeah I need to find some good guides in tinting, haven't really looked into it yet

from what I've read pretty well, some people even suggest 'stones will literally bounce off' as its rubber based

I did my door blades in Sept last year and there's not a mark on them yet.

I've heard it's durable. Scott from the b5 forum has had his roof done for over a year now and it's still looking fine as far as I know.

What he said.
No issues with my roof, done several thousand miles round the UK with it and no issues.
The only issue I got is people trying to peel off when I tell them what it is.

I did my door blades in Sept last year and there's not a mark on them yet.

WooHoo.

When we doing your chrome? :p

Whenever I've finished dipping what I've dipped I got to clean my gun. I empty the container into an empty PD can and spray the gun in an old BBQ or on a spare set of wheels.
The wheels and BBQ has never been cleaned or prepared for PD. The dip on the wheels looks fine, little bit rough cause its a combination of normal dip and a DIY glow in the dark mix i made but they appears fine and had crap thrown on them. Granted they've not been subjected to the heat or dirt like normal wheels but they brings me to the BBQ.

Its only a cheap B&Q BBQ we bought a couple of years ago. Since then I've removed everything that really made it a BBQ and its turned into a plasti dip dumping ground or random storage place for the dog toys.
Last weekend I put two disposable BBQs on it and made dinner for four people.
The BBQs was close, almost touching the dip for the length of time I was cooking.
I took the BBQs off expecting to see a odd melted mess of dip but it was perfect.
There no issues with the dip.

If it and handle that, I think it should be able to handle being on wheels.
The only issue you might have is if something hits the dip and causes a tear in the dip. It's almost game over for the dip then unless you have some thinners and more dip.
The rattle can dip is weaker than the spray gun versions.