I broke my car. :(

neddynasty

Reaction score
Had a day off today so did Mr.Muscle turbo cleaning. All went ok as per the guide on this forum until I was taking it for a spin afterwards. Was driving along ok, there was plenty of power in the car. Got to about 80mph in 5th and the engine management light came on. Pulled in, turned the car off and back on. Engine management light stayed on. Went for a spin again and there was no power in 3rd, 4th or 5th. Struggled to get to 70. Eventually managed to get to 75mph.

Tried to disconnect the battery to clear the light but it made no difference. Any ideas?

Edit: Meant to add 2003 B6 1.9 TDI 130bhp

Last edited:
recheck the connections on ait pipes
and if you can scan it for fault codes

You really need VCDS to tell you what the fault is. Anything else is pure speculation. It sounds like it's currently in limp mode. People may say it will be this that and the other linked to your work on the turbo, and that may well be the case, however it equally could have nothing to do with the work you've just done and be purely co-incidental. Just check everything is plugged back in/re-connected properly. Once you've had it scanned, put the results up on here and it should become quite apparent whats happened.

Thanks for the replies. Don't have anything to do a scan with. Checked anything i took off and all seems tightly put back together. The connection to the MAF sensor does seem a bit loose though.

If the problem rectifies itself will the light go off on it's own or can codes only be cleared manually?

I've it booked in for a service on Monday anyway so hopefully they'll be able to sort it. Just have to keep the wife out of the car for the weekend now. She'll kill me for messing with something that wasn't broken! I'm always at it.

Mine did this...
Turned out one of the vacum pipes had pulled loose when i moved things out of the way
Check around all the pipes/wires around the drivers side and front of the engine to see if youve done the same
(just because you didnt touch it on purpose doesnt mean you didnt :think:)

Mine did this...
Turned out one of the vacum pipes had pulled loose when i moved things out of the way
Check around all the pipes/wires around the drivers side and front of the engine to see if youve done the same
(just because you didnt touch it on purpose doesnt mean you didnt :think:)

Hopefully you're right. It's a definite possibility. I did see something that looks a bit out of place.

24dhrlw.jpg

It's about an inch in diameter and looks like a plastic needle sticking out of it. It's all oily too. Looks like it should be plugged in some where.

Would this affect braking at all?
I notice now at really low speeds (i.e. < 5 mph) in traffic the brake pedal is rock hard and takes a bit of effort to loosen it.

Would this affect braking at all?
I notice now at really low speeds (i.e. < 5 mph) in traffic the brake pedal is rock hard and takes a bit of effort to loosen it.

yes

the pipe runs to the vacuum pump at the back of the engine if you look at the pipe on the left of the vac pump it has a tee that comes off and a pipe should run from their to that one way valve

Thanks everyone for the advice! Got it sorted tonight. Car pulling great again.

Engine management light is still on. Can that be reset someway or if it a vag-com job?

I knocked a pipe off the same as yourself. After i reconnected it the engine management light went off by itself after about 10mims of driving.

I knocked a pipe off the same as yourself. After i reconnected it the engine management light went off by itself after about 10mims of driving.

The light went off by itself last night. Also ordered a new air & pollen filter last night. Oil and filter change has been done so once I get the air & pollen filter in it'll be happy days once again!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It's been invaluable and certainly calmed the nerves when I thought I'd wrecked my car.