1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hybrid K04

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Imola, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Imola

Imola Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Hi

I see reference occasionally to a hybrid K04 turbo. Is this different to the standard S3 turbo? (mine is a BAM)

If so, then how is it different and are there advantages?

I remember my 1.8T sport A3 had a K03 hybrid which I think I was told had part forma K03 and K04? Or was this just waffle? :)
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 16, 2013]
    yeh your pretty much there.

A Hybrid is where someone takes the standard turbo, and machines out the housings and installs bigger wheels. The term is very vauge and doesnt tell you much about the capabilities of the resulting product though, because there are many different internal parts that can be used in varying combinations.

The term "K04" is also very vauge as it doesnt refer to one specific turbo or wheel size, more to a family of products. On this forum, references to "hybrid K04" will typically refer to the S3 turbocharger, which has then been modified to fit larger internals.
  3. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Sep 16, 2013]
    ... wot he said + there are different specs of these providing different power outputs.... Not all created equal