1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hybrid K04 question...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 Paul, Aug 3, 2011.

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

Im currently getting my spare k04 hybrid rebuilt and as part of the rebuild i was asked if i wanted the "blades trimming back " and "the waste gate area porting "
    They said diffrent set up cars seem to work well with this mod,
    My car has a 3 inch down pipe and decat, milltek exhaust ,fmic forge tip and the usual other bits...
    Will this mod help my car??
  2. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

Theres a fair bit in mine on this dude.

by trimming the blades back I guess they mean a clip, this used to stop surging, mine was clipped but I dont think Bill is convinced on this, careful mapping can be used here to prevent surge.

Porting the wastegate is also a good idea but machining it out isnt, again more details in my thread. My first CR hybrid had a wastegate that was machined out and was too large, it caused problems with the penny valve not sealing and it almost made it so the air wanted to go out the wastegate rather than through the comp wheel. I think Bill posted the gentle porting work that he then did on the hybrid for Prawn in my thread.

Be careful and be very specific
  3. badger5

badger5 RIP S3dave Site Sponsor

rebuilt by whome?
    What is its start spec? (turbine - compressor)
  4. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

CR
    Its a turbo dynamics hybrid , Based on the spec JBS did for their JBS05 turbo
    They said the exhaust housing is cracked but could be used as its not where it matters??
    Not sure on that to be fair, So i asked about a new housing... he said if i wanted a new housing AND the porting + "clipping" doing they would send me out one they had on the shelf already done to save time.
  5. badger5

badger5 RIP S3dave Site Sponsor

Seems fairly common to see a crack on the divide between the wastegate and main throat. wellys had this but worked well.
    they do seem to progress upwards over time on k04's as also seen several have a crack running across the wastegate seal face, but the turbos work like normal..

you may wish to see Danes thread on what could happen from a non-genuine hotside if thats what is supplied
  6. Pedrosousa

Pedrosousa Member

If your old setup worked good until now why are you going to change it...??? What maximum power output you seen with that turbo?
    CR proved in several jobs that they do fail a lot... From what I've seen don't expect to much from CR porting job...
  7. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

They did, however, porting aside (wasn't done - Bill did this for me), make me a very very good little blower.

Sadly they haven't done much to shout about since though.
  8. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

I'm hoping mine (Wellys old one, with brand new genuine Badger ported hot side) will recreate the former greatness!
  9. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Lets hope it works well for you bud. I was gutted about all the issues with it when Dane took it off my hands :(
  10. Dane

11. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Ive had a cr turbo for 2 years now unmapped and has been excellent, Bought Andy@AIDs turbo hes ported it for me (excellent job by the way) but remains unclipped, and that is how it is getting put on..just waiting for the coated frankenturbo manni to arrive (2nd tester) then hopefully to the awesome rs tuning in Leeds .....happy days.....
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  12. Dane

Nice Dave, hope it works out mate! Even unfinished hybrids, when they work lol, are pretty good
  13. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Cheers Dane, Yeah these were the days when they didnt cheap out on inferior parts so all should be good, my hybrid has got zero play up down , left, right ,in out....so pm me if interested, to the forum,,, not you dane...lol
    Bloody hell that was quick, sold provisionally
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011