Huge off on friday night!!My S3 is dead, lucky im not.

mate you are still alive so dont worry about it. I expect you have a few bruises that will disappear and in 2 months you'll get a cheque from bell to cover the car. Things like this happen and that's why we pay our premiums. Ignore the comments from the fortune tellers on the list. Put it behind you and try to get your confidence back as soon as possible. I had a very light bump about a month ago and I am still driving around like my mum.....it's does scare you.......

You just have to learn not to swerve, although hitting a deer head on will be no picnic, the thought of hitting someone head on or a tree is worse!

I did hit a deer in a mk2 golf, I hit the brakes but did not swerve as there were oncoming cars. It made a mess but was not that bad, I hit it at about 25mph having scrubbed off lots of speed. rabbits and hares etc, I just lift off or lightly brake for now, I had a mate killed when we were 17 when swerved to avoid a rabbit in the road......!!

sorry to hear mate about your S3.
As long as you are okay that is the main issue. Time to use that insurance claim making use of all that money you have paid them companies.

as this is a discussion forum firstly i'd say everyone is entitled to offer an opinion and whilst you may not agree with that opinion there's no need for name calling.

i don't think anyone is saying we have to drive around at 20mph, i like to get a move on when it's appropriate but it's imperative that conditions are taken into account so you modify your speed if it's dark, raining, foggy etc and i'm sure everyone will agree that's just good sense. so in this case we're talking about night time so it's dark, the road is muddy and it's covered in leaves. add the fact that it's a tight lane and that should be enough to slow any driver down. correct me if i'm wrong but an S3 is laden with safety features, ABS brakes, ESP traction control, Haldex Quattro and it's probably got EBD too but as i said i'm open to be proven wrong, so as far as driver aids go it's pretty well stacked up.

taking all this into account we still have a driver who managed to hit something so hard the car rolled over and is now a write off. that's pretty conclusive evidence that it was being driven too fast for the conditions in my opinion.

if the speed had been appropriate then i agree, the Deer would still have jumped out but would the car have left the road and been written off? the short answer is no because it would have been driven at a speed that would have allowed the driver to stop it safetly or at least with minimal damage

I'll keep quiet on this - otherwise I might get into bother with some of the ditches and trees in our secluded part of the country.

At least your still in one piece and that is all that truely matters......

shineydave said:
if the speed had been appropriate then i agree, the Deer would still have jumped out but would the car have left the road and been written off? the short answer is no because it would have been driven at a speed that would have allowed the driver to stop it safetly or at least with minimal damage
By that rationale if he'd been going faster, then the deer would have jumped out behind his car, so going faster would have been also safer.

Its easier said than done to just run the things over, your natural reaction is to swerve! Any bikers on here will no what a pain phesants can be! run left, then right, little bleeders!

Gutted for you mate get some picture up tho lets have a look is only a car at the end of the day (trust me the wife come back from asda today with ANOTHER dent in the door from the car park could of lost the plot...its only a car i say to myself) your ok pasengers ok that all that matters theres more s3s out there

Shineydave, have you ever hit any standing object at speed??

I hit a tree at no more than 20-25mph in terrible weather and it made a mess of the car. I have no doubt for any second that swerving and ending up off the road even at 30mph could easily ruin a car, having been involved in it first hand.

Safety features are all very well, but in properly slippery conditions, or where your car has left the road, they do jack all to help

I have to say, I think you would have been better off hitting the deer. I hit one in a 205 gti (tin foil body work) at 40-45 and it only damaged the front end but anyway, the main issue is you walked away...the car's nowhere near as important and as for people like shineydave...I wont swear!

It doesnt take alot to roll a car. Especially if it goes into a ditch. If the ditch is deep enough and the car goes far enough in at one side of course its going to end up on its roof whether ur driving at 10mph or 60mph.
Its easy to say if you were going slower it might not have happened. If he had left his house 2 mins before it "might" not have happened.

No one has critisised the deer, here..? Clearly he was going too fast and I heard he'd been drinking too.

Or maybe he was trying to fake an insurance injury claim against you...............maybe he needed the doe.....?

(coat in hand.........!)

Mind you, he prob was bladdered might have been at a stag do or sumin...

Clearly he was going too fast and I heard he'd been drinking too.

Or maybe he was trying to fake an insurance injury claim against you...............maybe he needed the doe.....?

(coat in hand.........!)1 Hour Ago 10:53

That is A complete and utter lie!!! I was on the way to a firer works display. I have never drunk driven in my life, so please don’t just make stuff up.

And no im just doing it to make a claim and no i don’t need the money.
You should be in the PAP mate!!!!

Any way sent the claim form of so we will se the out come soon.

Please chaps no more ********

LOL, the going too fast and drinking bit was in reference to the deer, not you buddy

adtkm83 said:
That is A complete and utter lie!!! I was on the way to a firer works display. I have never drunk driven in my life, so please don’t just make stuff up.

You should be in the PAP mate!!! !

:think::huh:

adtkm83 said:

You should be in the PAP mate!!! ******!

Mate, he was making a joke about the DEER, not you!

adtkm83 said:

You should be in the PAP mate!!! ******!

........I think the only ******** may be your story now, I mean the way you jumped in there all defensive suggests to me the "deer" may not have been.............?? As for who's the ******,........... maybe re read the WHOLE post, not just the second half of the first line, and go take a look in the mirror......!?!!?

You binned your car, no one else!! If you dont want a bit of light hearted ribbing about it, STFU and dont post about it on here!

O GOD SORRY

just read it in full wooops!!!:keule:

lol, bit of a calamity there. Although i can see why you did go off on one, as there were people having a go earlier in the thread and smich's post was a little misleading.
The doe joke was bad too, but i LOL at the stag do one!

Hope you get a decent pay out for the car mate!

LottieA3 said:
Aww bless ya, do you want me to whoop everyone's *** for you that has been nasty??? :hubbahubba: .........:slap:

Yes please Lottie!! (I'll pay if it helps!) :)

you're all missing the point here, the key is "appropriate speed". that might be 5mph, 50 or 100 depending on the conditions. just because the speed limit is 30 it doesn't mean you have to drive at 30, it may be "appropriate" to drive at 10 because of the road conditions. to lose control in such a catastrophic way then the speed MUST have been inappropriate for the conditions otherwise it would have been able to stop in time.

rodenal, no, i've never hit a solid object because i've always managed to avoid hitting things by good observation, anticipation and reading the road. i have however been hit on a Devon country lane by a nissan sunny that came round a blind bend at a speed that meant he was covering more ground than the distance in which he could see and stop in safety, by the time he saw me stopped at a set of temporary traffic lights it was all over. that's inappropriate speed for you. no doubt he was complaining after the event that the lights "just appeared from nowhere" even though they were signposted for a good quarter of a mile before.

hotscar, what kind of people are you reffering to exactly?. people who come on here and offer help and advice to strangers?, people who take the time out to search for technical drawings to assist people with problems? people who readily give up their weekends to vag-com members cars to help cure faults? people who, hopefully, might prevent a serious accident or heaven forbid, a death by making people think about what they're actually doing on the roads? for christs sake the car is a write off, it could have been much worse and i for one wouldn't want it to happen to anyone on here but if everyone drives around thinking it can't happen to them or doesn't consider the consequences then sooner or later we WILL be offering sympathy to someone who has suffered a proper tragedy

I know exactly what you're saying but at the end of the day you weren't there, and it is very easy once a car leaves the road to write it off.

Appropriate for the conditions is one thing, but you just cannot possibly know how you will react should something suddenly appear infront of you, even swerving at 10-15mph, panicking, not hitting the brakes, possibly even accelerating or something daft like that its pretty easyto see how somebody could end up upside down in a ditch(imo).

As far as i can see you're on a 'preach to the speeding youngsters' high horse and i dont think its very fair to the writer of this thread who just wanted to share his grief at ruining a car and nearly hurting himself in the process.

AndyMac said:
By that rationale if he'd been going faster, then the deer would have jumped out behind his car, so going faster would have been also safer.

I just nearly spat out my toast when I read that... trust you to come out with that Andy! :lmfao: :lmfao:

I think the only way you coulod roll a car by approaching an incident at 10-15 miles per hour is if the "incident" is Beachy Head!!

Now come on guys, lets be real on this, there is thankfully few incidents like the one that happened here, where one of our bretheren (Audi A3/ S3 owners) bins his pride and joy in big stylee.............

But no disprepect at all, when this thing does happen, it is often the case that it is a new owner, often (nowadays as prices come down) younger owners too, who have been driving smaller hatches and think the s3 with
4wd etc is impossible to crash...........just so far from the case as anyone who has one will testify! They are relatively big, heavy cars, with a horrid understeery tendancy and need to be trated with great respect in marginal conditions.

Now this accident could well ahve been totally unavoidable.....no one will ever know.
The extent of damage however, could almost certainly have been reduced through more experience of the vehicle and more experience of driving generally. Wheras more experienced drivers can crash and regularly do, it is no coincidence than most of these "big" ones that are posted on the net, do tend to be younger drivers involved.

For the original poster, this is not a critisism, just my opinion and experience. Dont take any apparent comments as critisism here, just take them on board as people's opinions and you would be a fool not to listen and learn from them too. If only that as a younger driver in a quick car, you will always be assumed to be in the wrong by everyone.....!?!?!?!? But I would bet my mortgage you will drive on similar roads and similar conditions just a few mph slower and with a few more contingencies if something unexpected happens in future.........that is the beauty of an experince like the one you had!!

I'm new to the forum and have just read this whole thread. Firstly, really sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident adtkm83. I can only echo the words of of the others regarding your well being after the event.

Objectively, I can also see shineydave's point of view. Having been in a motorbike smash at 17 years old which resulted in the loss of use in my right arm. I wasn't speeding, I was actually under the speed limit to accomodate driving conditions .... I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time (petrol tanker, puddle and me in the outside lane of a dual carriage way on a bend) ... had I of been going faster or slower then the whole episode would never have happened.

Its very easy to go through the if's and but's .... fact is these things happen and thats why we have insurance.

Good luck with the insurance company mate, put it down to a lesson learned and move on in good health!

Thanks for all you in put chaps.

I went back to the crash site last night just to have a look and some one ells has binned it in the same place!!! It is just a real ****** of a corner this did not help things. I should have gone straight on into a field but it is easy to say that now. It all happened so fast.

I understand what people are saying about driving for the conditions but I genuinely believe I could have done nothing to avoid what happened.

I have really learned for this, i will never for get being stick in the car!!

O any one got any suggestions for a replacement car? i am going looking fo rone this weekend? Insurance group under 10 if pos.

I’m thinking mini cooper, TDI A3, Seat, What do you think?

Ad

My missus drives a mini cooper convertable (56 plate). I think its awesome fun to drive. Go get a test drive in one, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I guess that as this is an Audi site I should also mention just how nice my A3 is and you can't go wrong with one of those either!

Have a drive in a 130 tdi seat leon or ibiza, both low insurance groups and ;the leon is the same car as an A3 - i prefer the ibiza tho just that little bit more chuckable

simch said:
the case that it is a new owner, often (nowadays as prices come down) younger owners too, who have been driving smaller hatches and think the s3 with
4wd etc is impossible to crash...........

As a fairly young owner (but by no means the youngest) thats the most ageist thing Ive read on here! Just because someones young and may have owned a smaller car before doesnt mean that they think thier in the worlds safest car

If anything you learn the first few times you take a more powerful car out to respect the extra power and handling capabiltiys, not take them for granted (Thats just me tho, guess that most young people are cluessless fuckwits with no commons sense...)

Anyway, main thing is that he's ok and the claims in the post

GhostyDog said:
No sympathy, sorry that such a great car got caned and everybodies insurance will go up a percentage next year.

Just out of interest, would you have the same view on the matter if it wasnt just the car that was dead?

Just put it down to inexperience, and forget about it, there's nothing you can do now.

Great thread by the way.

rodenal said:
How many years no claims do you have(or will you not have any?) after the claim is put through?

If you're younger than say 25 it'll be hideously expensive next year to insure your car, although for some reason you'll probably find that if you keep to the same insurer it'll be roughly the same price for the rest of this insurance year.

If you're going back to zero no claims get something under group ten insurance, and dare i say it, diesel lol

Hey there is nothing wrong with a diesel!!!!

Glad your in one piece anyway, it could of been nasty.
It's easy for people to say you should of done this or that. But when it happens you have no time to think and you do what ever comes naturally depends on the person and your state of mind at the time.

grathies said:
the first few times you take a more powerful car out to respect the extra power and handling capabiltiys, not take them for granted (Thats just me tho, guess that most young people are cluessless fuckwits with no commons sense...)

Many would say there is some truth to that! Not "most" but therre is an idiotic culture attached to cars for many young people nowadays, read any car website, this included and you will see tales of stupidity and arrogant reckless behaviour many times. Internet, Max power, etc may have an influence, but also younger drivers nowadays have far more expensive and more powerful heavier vehicles than was the case 20 years ago......more disposable income, (many staying with parents for longer due to the stupid house prices) the relative price of cars has come down, more available on the 2nd hand market etc. many drivers are limited to vehicles of 1.4 litres by insurance companies for a few years, then when that bar is over, they may have a bit of NCD and they can afford to go and buy a 225hp, 4wd car..............christ, 20 years ago, such a car would be made by ford and cost more in £ than the audi of today.......in real terms cossies etc were well off the shopping list for most 20 year olds, who had xr2s and 8v gtis to dream about! !

But as for being "ageist"....firstly, its not an ageist comment at all, I said "generally" such accidents are younger drivers who have not had the car long..... This is why insurance for younger drivers is higher...... compare the number of 21 year olds with S3's and S3 "group" cars to the number of 31 year olds and there is y far less........but more percentage of them make insurance claims.....again, generally, my comment is backed by facts.

Any driver with any level of experience would realise that at this time of year, earlier darker nights, greasy country roads demand a great deal of respect, and more respect than the guy who binned the 10 grand car he'd had for 2 weeks showed them. I think this is the point Shiney Dave was trying to make, maybe he rubbed a few up doing so, but this (his?) point is a fair one. I am sure the original poster appreciated some possible danger (****** hope so!) but clearly thought it could not happen to him....

Yes, animals jump out in the road, farmers leave mud there, cars break down round blind cormers, petrol tankers and puddles exist on such roads.................and genuine unforseeable accidents DO happen. My point is that when you have 10 or 20 years experience of driving in all conditions and types of roads, you GENERALLY have more appreication that animals jump out, farmers leave mud about etc etc. ....

To sum up, .......Its called "experience", you cannot buy it, learn it or blame a lack of it when you make a mistake..........all you can do is learn from it when you do - and if you dont, you are a total fool....!

Drive safe peeps, its 'orrible out there today!!

golf said:
Just put it down to inexperience, and forget about it, there's nothing you can do now.

Great thread by the way.

Echo that totally! ! !