The Telegraph 2015 RS3 Review

Ok reading this article is misleading regarding the quattro....
It says 100% of the torque can be available at the rear, correct. Then it says 50% of the drive is minimum to the rear?
Now what does it mean? To me it implies the rear wheels are always driven and more power than the front can be sent there.
Does this mean the haldex is set up in reverse? E.g the rears are always driven and then the fronts are feed power/torque when necessary?
If that is true that is way cool, but I doubt it very much.

It's an old chestnut.

The way the Haldex is mechanically coupled, only 50% of the drive can go to the rear axle. i.e.: the rear wheels will only ever spin at the same speed as the front wheels. Front to Rear drive is 50:50. The journalist is confused.

Available torque is a different matter, and one that Haldex like to use for marketing.
100% torque at the rear wheels is only a theoretical goal, the only way this can ever happen, is if the front of your car is up in the air, and the front wheels are spinning in the air, and the rear wheels are on grippy tarmac. In this unique scenario, then near 100% (accounting for losses) of the torque can be available at the rear wheels at that instant moment in time.

Much more explanation in the FAQ:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2286712

Last edited:
Exactly and that's why the article is wrong as it states "at least 50% of the drive is directed to the rear" and that's my point. The article is misleading.

I think that both the Telegraph and the Top Gear articles say the same regarding the drive to the rear wheels.
So one is copying the other or they are both quoting an Audi press release?

The TG article has is correct, "between 50 and 100 percent of torque".

Not drive.

Which is exactly as it is in the current S3.