HTC/Android apps

lil_coz

Reaction score
After a few days of playing with my new HTC, I think I'm ready to start adding new apps and widgets! So what sites do you recommend and which apps do you find handy?

I saw an episode of The Gadget Show a few weeks ago and they had one called Zombie, Run! that looked awesome, so that bad boy is going on! :yes:

What phone you got?

What sort of apps you after?
and explore
AppsAdmin
Barcode Scanner
Bluepoint Security
Citrix
Google Docs
Dominos
Dropbox
Earth
Ebay
ES File explorer
ES task Manager
FatBooth
Googles Goggles
IMDB
Level
LogmeIn
Magic SeaWeed
MSN Mercury
PayPal
Photobucket
Photoshop
Remote RDP
Retro Camera
Stupid Zombies
TapaTalk
Trainline tickets
VLC Remote
Whatsapps

I think thats it from my phone.
There are some more good ones.
If I think of any more I'll let you know.

Wow that is a long old list of apps! This will also give me something to do later!

As to which sites, i only ever download from the market,and always tend to read reviews to make sure its worth downloading. But i reckon most of my downloads are games.

Dude, which ones are you using that can allow you to connect to your PC from your phone?

Free of course ;-)

Also of interest...the below for better battery life:

Desire - Tips and Tricks - Android Forums

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more
2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour
3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour

Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well.

The above has come from HTC!!!

I've gone for the Incredible S. Loving it at the mo! Every day involves a new discovery! Quite liking the widgets that came with the phone.

Don't really know what apps I'm after. Just ones that makes life a bit easier. The ones I have at the mo are the time/weather, messages, friend stream, calender. Barcode one sounds useful.

I need to sit down and go through the ones from android.com.

If you find any apps you want but has a price, let me know. :)

Interesting.... :ninja:

Dude, which ones are you using that can allow you to connect to your PC from your phone?

Free of course ;-)

Also of interest...the below for better battery life:

Desire - Tips and Tricks - Android Forums

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more
2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour
3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour

Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well.

The above has come from HTC!!!

I'll be giving that one a go! Wonder why that would make a difference?

I haven't even connected the phone to my PC yet! What crossed my mind was a lack of installation CD. Maybe I'm still living in the ancient times when a CD came with phones! lol

Sorry when I say connecting to the PC, i mean, like remote accessing it, like with LOGMEIN.

There should have been a cd, im sure I had a mini cd with it.

Oh and the battery thing, i think is just specific to the HTC Desire dude.

AppsAdmin
Barcode Scanner - Not needed if you have Goggles
Bluepoint Security
Citrix
Google Docs
Dominos
Dropbox
Earth
Ebay
ES File explorer
ES task Manager
FatBooth
Googles Goggles
IMDB
Level
LogmeIn
Magic SeaWeed
MSN Mercury
PayPal
Photobucket
Photoshop
Remote RDP
Retro Camera
Soundhound - Shazam is much better. We tried it in the pub the other night and soundhound was sh**e
Stupid Zombies
TapaTalk
Trainline tickets
VLC Remote
Whatsapps

Try Fring for video chat, Movies for movies (!) and Zedge for wallpapers and ringtones.

Some of these you may find fun/useful to you and are all free (some have ads unless you pay for the app)...

Camera Illusion - Creates various effects of the photos you take with the phone, my favorite effect is the sketched drawings, they look very comical especially ones taken of yourself or family/friends and you will get some laughs out of it!

Paint Joy - This one is great to keep the little ones occupied. It's the best free drawing app I've come across yet and the only one that uses neon colours which the kids love!

Motion Fart - This one is quite hilarious! As the apps name suggest, when the phone senses movement (with the built in phone gyro) it makes very realistic farting noises and you can choose from a list of what kind of noise to make. Put the phone in your back pocket then lift up your leg and watch everyone run for the nearest exit! LOL! Just don't forget to set your speaker volume to the loudest!

Instant Heart Rate - With this app you can apparently monitor your heart rate from the flash light on your phone? Some say it works spot on and some say it doesn't work at all. I was skeptical but got to say it does work to some degree as I definetely get much higher readings after a workout than what I get at rest but I don't have a pulse monitor to compare with and see how accurate it really is. Amazing app if it is 100% accurate as some claim it to be.

iLighter - Serves no purpose but is a fun realistic virtual lighter app. Hold the phone in your hand and use your thumb to turn the flint sparker to strike up the flame. You can do things like flicking your phone and back and forth and see the lighters lid open/close and blow towards the phones mic and watch the flame quiver, blow hard enough and the flame will go out completely!

iBeer - You've probably seen this already for the iPhone. Now available for Android phones. Again lots of fun!

Remote Web - By far the best remote access app!! Get full access to your home/work computer(s) anywhere in the world either via Wi-Fi connection or 3G connection (network permitting) from your phone! Has features like virtual keyboard and web cam/phone cam streaming!

CamScanner - Brill app and can be very handy. Works by you taking photos of something that may not fit in one single photo shot and it then joins up the images to a perfect fit to create one single image. Saves you from having to use a scanner to email documents etc.

TotalRecall - You maybe surprised to find out that Android phones do not have any function to record phone conversations. Though with the aid of this app you can automatically record calls onto your phone. Has lots of different settings like to only record incoming/outgoing calls, calls from certain numbers etc.

Akinator - Great app to pass the time with. It will guess the person you a thinking of within 20 yes/no questions. (Download the Lite version which is free, after a few days you will get an automatic invitation to upgrade to the full version for free by either downloading another app which you can later delete if you want or doing a quick survey, no need to pay for anything)

Where's My Droid - Will help you locate your phone if you ever lost it. Has many great security features, this one is a defo MUST HAVE! Check it out!

MyCar Locator - This one is only for those who have a built in GPS in their phones. Never again forget where you parked your car, even in a big car park! Just press once and it will save your exact location accuate to within 15 meters. Then tap the locate button and it will guide you back to your car by pointing you to which direction to walk to and where available give you the street name/maps. Obviously doesn't have to be used to find your car, could be a starting point, hotel etc. It works anywhere in the world so especially good when abroad and even more so when your in the middle of nowhere and need to go back to where you we're.

Zombie Booth - The best of the best zombie apps!! Better than the one you already mention. Also you can shake the phone and it will each time create another zoombie face. Has sound effects and is responsive to touch. When taking a photo try doing a scary/mean face and the effect is even more astounding!

Funny Camera - Places the faces from your photos into the body of famous people/characters, lots to choose from!

Imedia Share - Allows you to wirelessly transmit photos, videos, audio etc from your phone to any DLNA equipped device such as TV's, computers, consoles (Playstation, Xbox etc), DVD players etc.

SpeedX 3D & Blast Monkeys - Two very addictive games!! Hours upon hours of enjoyment!! Fantastic to kill the time with!

Prank Dial & Evil Operator - You'll get lots of laughs out of these, albeit the latter only works for numbers in the US but will still not stop you having some fun as you can easily get numbers to call on the net.

My Caller ID - Useful widget for those of you who are connected to the Three network. As you will already know if you want to withhold your number when calling from a Three sim, 141 does not work and you have to go through the annoying phone setting options to enable/disable caller identification. No longer will you need to do this if you install this widget, just one single tap of the widget will allow you to enable/disable your number ID!

Tethering Widget - Enable your phone to be used as a wireless network connection. You can connect your laptop etc to the internet via your phone! If you have a Galaxy S2, this has a very impressive range as it has Pre-N wireless as well as a/b/g.

Last edited: