1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HPFP Strip, Clean & Autotech Rebuild (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by david_phillips95, Jan 23, 2010.

1. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

I have decided to go stage 2+, the downpipe is organised the only thing left to sort out was th HPFP. KRL from here organised a group buy for the Autotech Internals on the mk5 golf gti forum so picked them up for £246.00 Cheers KRL:) Hoping to see the internals through the door in a couple of weeks.
    I managed to pick a HPFP from ebay for only £100 delivered, it was removed from an S3 engine with only 1000 miles (the engine had suffered from oil starvation as the oil pump chain snapped): link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-S3-2-0T-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58859bba65

Decided to start the strip and clean of the pump, as this is a spare pump it allowed me to spend plenty of time stripping and cleaning it so nothing was rushed. I used the Autotech Guide you can find on their website: http://www.autotech.com/instructions/i127100k.pdf

The autotech guide is pretty good so if you stick to it you cant go wrong, they have listed the tools required in the guide but i will list what i used.

All tools and surfaces were cleaned thouroughly with IPA wipes to remove any soiling and small particles.

Tools:
    18mm socket & ratchet
    13mm spanner
    14mm spanner
    17mm spanner

Imperial spanners where used for the larger fittings as most of my larger tools are imperial not metric
    15/16" spanner or 24mm
    1" 1/4 spanner or 32mm

T25 Security Bit With Screwdriver attachment

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaning:
    Polythene Sheet To Cover Surface
    IPA Wipes
    IPA Aerosol
    IPA Fluid
    Compressor & Air Nozzle

IPA PRODUCTS
    [​IMG]
    AIR NOZZLE
    [​IMG]
    CLEANING SETUP
    [​IMG]

HPFP BEFORE STRIP
    [​IMG]

I worked in accordance with the Autotech guide and everything went to plan, the process to strip and clean took about an hour.

The process i used to clean the parts was:
    1.Submerge component in IPA for around 60seconds then scrub thoroughly with brush
    2.If components has area that are hard to get to use IPA Spray Can to flush the area clean.
    3.Use IPA Wipes to finally go over the component and remove any soiling.
    4.Using the Air Nozzle, Blow the component to remove any excess IPA.

Once i had carried out the process above the parts were placed on IPA Wipes on a clean surface till i was ready to bag the components.

STRIPPED INTO BITS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PARTS CLEANED AND PLACED ON IPA WIPES READY FOR BAGGING
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Image below shows the internal components split into two bags, i decided to put the larger bulkier components together as i didnt want to cause any metal to metal damage from a heavier components striking a smaller more fragile one. The Spring, Piston etc in one bag and parts from the Relief Valve etc in another bag.

CLEANED AND BAGGED
    [​IMG]

Once all the internal components were bagged, i re-assembled the housing, screwing all fittings back in loose. Once put together loose the pump body and fittings was bagged.

ALL THESE PARTS WERE INSTALLED TO THE BODY LOOSE.
    [​IMG]
    CLEANED AND ASSEMBLED LOOSE THEN BAGGED TILL AUTOTECH KIT ARRIVES
    [​IMG]

Ill add pictures of the rebuild once i recieve the Autotech Internals

Cheers Davie
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. KRL

KRL Member

Very nice work Davie, how long did it take you to strip the pump?
  3. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

sorry their isnt much detail in the thread was struggling for time to write it up, ill try add some more info tommorow. Took me around an hour, could be done far quicker but i cleaned everything twice inspected eveything twice. To strip it down you could do it in 10mins easy with the correct tools. Any idea when the autotech kits should arrive?

Cheers Davie
  4. DeckedS3

DeckedS3 Active Member

Good luck with the pump, looks like you're going about it the right way.
  5. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

Cheers for the comments, cant wait for the internals to arrive so i can get it revuilt and installed :)
  6. KRL

KRL Member

Once the order is place with BSH it will probably take a couple of weeks (maybe more) to get them from the US, Dubtek will not place the order with BSH until he has all the funds which is understandable. So the quicker everybody pays up in the list the quicker we should get the pumps. We did set the payment deadline as the 5th of Feb. I bought my catch can through a similar on a group buy with Dubtek/BSH, unfortunately some of the cans got delayed in UK customs so it did drag it out a little.
  7. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

I got hit with customs charges on my VCDS so hopefully luck is with me and they let my Autotech Internals pass through lol As long as they come before April im not fussed, going to Crail 1/4 mile strip for a Fast Ford Event, Want to show them how its done haha

Cheers Davie
  8. wesley

wesley Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Hopefully BSH will mark these pumps as gifts then we wont get the charges with a bit of luck!!
  9. KRL

KRL Member

All we will pay is £246, that has already been agreed so no need to worry about.
  10. wesley

wesley Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Thats cool then, a real bargain to be had!!
  11. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

not long till ill be running stage 2+ now!!! cant wait :):)

Davie
  12. KRL

KRL Member

It will be silly fast :hubbahubba:
  13. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

internals arrived today :) happy days. Would have liked to rebuild the pump tonight but after working a 10hours shift i think my concentration level will be well below the norm lol ill have it all rebuilt next week in time for my MV downpipe to arrive :)

Thanks again KRL for setting up a brilliant groupbuy :icon_thumright:

Davie
  14. KRL

KRL Member

Will you be posting some pics up of pump rebuild?
  15. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

yeah ill take photos from start to finish, will need to get some clean polythene for the surfaces and give all the tools a good clean etc. Will probably rebuild it some time next week, will you be rebuilding your pump?

Davie
  16. KRL

KRL Member

I might rebuild myself although I've not decided yet. Seeing your rebuild will give me a better idea of if I want to do it myself I think.

I am still debating with myself whether to install the pump at stage 1 or not. I do think it would bring good gains even at stage 1 as I can see with logging that the OEM HPFP struggles to maintain the requested rail pressure at any thing above B6. So if I install the HPFP at stage 1 I will be able to up the boost, richen up the fueling and possibly increase the timing as well due to the richer fueling.
  17. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

I will order my MV sport DP monday and hopefuly have it fitted by friday along with my rebuilt pump, then saturday take it to Drivers for my stage 2+ Map :) hopefully my master plan comes together lol
    Rebuilding the pump will not require alot of skill its just like a mechano set, take your time, keep everything immaculate and you wont go wrong.

Davie

Davie
  18. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

Decided to get the pump built back together tonight, took a few pictures as i went. Didnt take as many as i would have like but i was quite paranoid about getting any foreign paticles on the components during build.

Anyway here's a quick and simple write up:

Set the bench up again and covered with clean polythene which was all wiped down the IPA wipes to ensure cleanliness. All tools and equipment was also cleaned in the same manner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the parts were removed from the bags and placed on the table, all parts were given a final clean with IPA wipes prior to assembly
    [​IMG]

Close up of the Autotech Internals Packaged
    [​IMG]

The internals were removed from the box and placed on IPA wipes, these were wiped down with IPA wipes also, ignore the metal button at the top of the picture this is part of the OEM setup.
    [​IMG]

Pump partially assembled, ready for autotech internals
    [​IMG]

Autotech internals installed just the spring and retainer and collets to fit
    [​IMG]

Installation of Autotech Internals Complete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All boxed and ready to fit this week
    [​IMG]

If you follow the Autotech instructions and keep everything immaculate you wont have any issues. Sorry there isnt much detail but as the assembly is critical i was being extra careful so didnt get many photos taken.

Cheers Davie
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  19. KRL

KRL Member

Excellent work Davie well done. How long did this take you?
  20. jsws3

jsws3 Member

Looks spot on mate i will also be at stage 2+ buy saterday if all gose well . what cai are you useing ?
  21. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member

Took me around an hour taking my time and making sure everything was perfect, if you done it quickly you could do it in around 20mins i would imagine as there isnt much to it. Follow the autotech instructions and you will be fine mate.

Im using Evoms Stage 2 CAI, currently cant make my mind up whether to change to a twintake or not. Need to have a good think about it.

Davie
  22. mrgicm

mrgicm Phantom black S3/

Congradulations, excellent work and a nice write up....