1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoya lens filter any good?

Discussion in 'Photography & The Digital Darkroom' started by willnabby, Jul 26, 2008.

1. willnabby

willnabby RS-one day soon!!

I've seen some hoya lens filters at a reasonable price, are they an ok brand?
  2. Matt T

Matt T Bumble Bee

They are one of the best.
  3. buckas

buckas Member

they make awesome stuff, love my new circular polariser :thumbsup:

drew
  4. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

5. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

As above, Hoya are pretty much the dog's danglies :) You have to go a long way further (into your pocket) to get even slightly better.

There are other brands on the market that can give pretty decent results too, but Hoya are no-nonsense. The only real exception to that is something that Buckas touched-on; there aren't too many other manufacturers on the market who should tempt you away from Hoya for a polariser. I've seen a lot of these, and even some brands who you might be tempted to look at fall a long way short of Hoya. The Hoya ones give really fantastic contrast reproduction, and are very good at their other primary use (reflection cancellation) - some of the cheaper ones just dull a reflection somewhat, whereas their Hoya counterpart is often a lot more effective...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> Did you get that flash then bud?
  6. willnabby

willnabby RS-one day soon!!

yeah but only got it last weekend funnily enough after been outbid on ebay on a few occasions I finally got an olympus FL-36 at a good price, I would have prefered the FL-50 but they nearly always came up out of budget, I've not really had time to have a good go with it yet & as usual I'm struggling with understanding all the settings etc:uhm: lol
    no doubt I'll be p m 'ing you for some advice soon lol.