How weird is this?

Laurie P

A4 B6 1.8t Quattro Avant 190 + A3 8L 1.9tdi
Reaction score
Forum chums, here's a conundrum ... For the past few weeks my car has been weeping screenwash in fairly decent amounts, noticeable on account of blue puddles under the car, dribbling from each side of the undertray directly under each headlight. I have headlight washers, so I pulled one of the headlights and can see there's a leak from the headlight pump / skoosher. I can't fix it as it needs the bumper taking off.

Today, it goes into my local indie Audi for investigation. They phone me at 1pm - no problem they say, no leaks, don't know what you're on about.

So my question is, how can this be? It's been leaking like a widowed wife every day, but today it's fine. I'm not complaining, as I haven't had to shell out, but I'd be interested to hear views on how / why it could have stopped????

always the way mate as soon as you get someone to look at it the problem will sort its self out, i work for a recovery company and the amount of jobs i get to that i can't fault because when we get there its sorted its self out or a simple turn off and on again sorts the problem out. in your case and a quick wonder it might be when the engine gets hot it might be heating the rubber pipes up making them expand causing fluid to leak the garage may have checked it cold, pipes cold, pipes nice and secured just a thought

Reactions: Laurie P
Must be Sod's law! It's not heat related as it had been doing it all the time. Someone mentioned to me about using only neat screenwash, and that using water or a mix could have been the reason....

I have this sometimes and seems to be down to the pump being only a push fit into the tank.Its stops after using the washers and so seems to settle a bit tighter then gradually loosens again.You can get to it behind the arch liner and I might try getting some silicone grease in there when the weathers better or maybe just use the washers more often

Reactions: Jimmy TDI