How to tell if the MAF is faulty

leecs3

thinking about stuff
Reaction score
done a search for "MAF" with no results. I've got a revo'd 2001 S3 which sometimes goes like stink but other time you can plant you foot and you just don't get that kick as it comes on boost. The acceration also doesn't always feel even in gear. Like the delivery is spikey. Does this sound like a MAF thats dying? Is there any way to confirm it or just a case of buy a new one and hope it cures the problem. How much doe they cost, is it a straight swap or do you have to go to the dealers for a any codes resetting.

thanks in advance

to test the maf, just unplug it (its between the airfilter and the engine), and if performance improves, change it

the cost depends on where you buy it from. about £90 from the stealers.
most of the time they dont show an error code and thay are straight forward to fit.

another cause could be heat soak in this rather hot weather we are having at the moment

9 times out of 10 its the MAF,like nwhiteley said, unplug and see how it goes, or if you have vag com see what kind of readings you get from it.

I'd just take it to AmD tbh.

Olly_K said:
9 times out of 10 its the MAF,like nwhiteley said, unplug and see how it goes, or if you have vag com see what kind of readings you get from it.

I'd just take it to AmD tbh.

I'll unplug tomorrow and go for a spin. What difference should i expect from unplugging it. I know that my corrado doesn't idle with it unplugged, Not a fan of AmD.

well, everyone has their choices, I personally get a great service from AmD

I think it goes something like:

if you unplug it, and it runs the same, it's probably knackered.

if you unplug it, and it runs like crap, its probably OK.

dont forget to take into account the warm weather we're currently experiencing. The intercoolers on s3's were audi's idea of a joke, to the point where in hot weather an s3 can sometimes feel like a stock 1.8 NA....... the throttle response can be shocking.

leecs3 said:
I'll unplug tomorrow and go for a spin. What difference should i expect from unplugging it. I know that my corrado doesn't idle with it unplugged, Not a fan of AmD.

On my TDI, it was no different with the MAF unplugged- it *should* be much flatter. Replacement MAF makes the car feel much quicker.

The best test is a 'drive it like a hire car' run with VAG-COM logging.

Whats the maximum flow for a MAF for a std 110 tdi 98 in VAgcom?

Thats normally how you tell if they are goosed on the S4.... for std you should see around 215, modded 230 and up.... if it reads low then its normally goosed....