How to stop DSG disengaging the clutch when braking?

Ruhel

Never seen a fuel needle go down so fast!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just wondering if the DSG gearbox can be adjusted so that the clutch does not disengage the clutch when braking. When driving on a dual carriageway speeds and then slowing down for a round about the clutch disengages, so when I go from brake pedal to accelerator the revs pick up and then the car suddenly jumps as the clutch engages. Just worried it may damage the gearbox or something. Doesnt seem to happen in town driving at all. Just when approaching from high speed, braking then going back to accelerator.
P.S does driving in sport mode have any negative consequences on the life of the DSG box? Don't mind about fuel consumption.
Thanks
Ruhel

My Mk5 R32 with DSG never disengaged!!

Sound like the DSG mechatronic unit is failing. You could try a recalibration and see if that works. It can be done with VCDS but you need to drive for around 45 mins to an hour after using paddles only. If that does then a new mechatronic unit is needed.

Mine got a but jumpy but I did a recalibration and it was sorted.

Hmm. Not good news. Will speak to the local Audi garage and see what they reccomend. Before your post I was just googling and it appeared to due the DSG not guessing correctly what I wanted to do next and by me accelerating mid braking, it was just "lag". Will definitely get it checked.
Thanks
Ruhel

I'm not sure if this is just a normal characteristic. When iIslow for roundabouts with the DSG and have the intention of making a rolling getaway, there is always a bit of lag because the algorithms believe that you are going to come to a complete stop. It's annoying because you have to press the accelerator a lot more, then get a jolt and off you go. I haven't ever done a re-calibration on mine, so would like to see if there is some improvement. I've just learned to live with it. In the meantime, you could just downshift manually and keep the engine revs higher (doesn't make a huge difference).

Reactions: Ruhel
I'm not sure if this is just a normal characteristic. When iIslow for roundabouts with the DSG and have the intention of making a rolling getaway, there is always a bit of lag because the algorithms believe that you are going to come to a complete stop. It's annoying because you have to press the accelerator a lot more, then get a jolt and off you go. I haven't ever done a re-calibration on mine, so would like to see if there is some improvement. I've just learned to live with it. In the meantime, you could just downshift manually and keep the engine revs higher (doesn't make a huge difference).
So being worried about the gearbox I took the car back to get it checked out. Appears you are right. Car is expecting it to be a full standstill so I have to change my driving style. Supposedly I'm driving like I would a manual car. I don't really know what that means but slowing down much earlier and putting gentle pressure on the accelerator eases the problem greatly.