1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove stereo on a facelift S3 - 6 disc for single disc = straight swap????

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AWDMk1, Aug 13, 2010.

1. AWDMk1

AWDMk1 Member

Can one of you knowledgeable individuals tell me how to remove the radio unit on a facelift 8L S3 (without hacking the centre console to bits with a screwdriver!)?? I've recently bought my S3 and it came with a single CD symphony and I want to upgrade it to the 6 disc changer setup.... am I right in thinking it's a straight plug in swap???

Thanks in advance....
  2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You need 2 sets of removal keys which slot into the four slots on the front of the unit. Remove the glovebox first and push the unit from behind once the keys are negaged. The angled sides of the keys should be inserted with the angled sides facing each other. Do not pull on the keys to pull the HU out, push it out from behind. You;ll need 2 pairs of these:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/celsus-vw-audi-radio-release-keys.html
  3. AWDMk1

AWDMk1 Member

Thanks a lot for that, appreciate it.... next question is of course.... how do I take the glovebox out!?
  4. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator