1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove snow from the car... Winter is coming !

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by S3 Paul, Oct 28, 2010.

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

Is there a safe way to clear snow from car paint work?
    I was thinking from the weather reports i keep seeing... sooner or later im going to open the curtains and see a white S3 where i parked a blue one the night before
  2. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving

Interesting one, I would warm the car up personally... I understand your concerns though... snow sliding down paintwork, with potential grit in it is not wanted!
  3. John @ PB

John @ PB Member

A very slick surface should repel snow to a large extent - something like Werkstat Acrylic is very slick. I'd try not to touch the snow unless it's really deep.

For the glass and headlights, a top quality glass sealant like Nanolex Premium Nanolex Premium Glass Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products or Urban Nanolex Urban Glass Sealant | Nanolex Car Care & Detailing Products will help stop frost bonding and also prevent snow building up.

(We had some snow here last week. Not quite the 4ft we had last winter yet though.....)
  4. Fahim

Fahim Member

Why not just buy a car cover if your so worried about the snow?
  5. John @ PB

John @ PB Member

Probably because they'll cover the car in scratches.....

If the car isn't spotless when a cover's applied, or if the cover isn't spotless on the inside, as you move the cover over the paint, it'll scratch the paint.
  6. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving

Regardless of cleanliness, 99% of car covers will scratch due to what they're made of as well! Had this experience after wanting to protect the car over a two week holiday (bird droppings etc). Came back to a car needing faint correction again.

Not happy.
  7. John @ PB

John @ PB Member

Not good at all.

My post was based on non-experience: I've never used a cover. And never intend to! Your post has confirmed that even further.
  8. beanoir

beanoir Sharpest Tongue in the West

Snow must be cleared from a car before driving it anywhere as it's a danger to other road users when iced up clods of it fly of your car at 50mph into their windscreen.

Why not justy pour warm water over the car, I mean luke warm, avoiding pouring directly onto glass and you'll be fine. Couple this with heating on in the car to ensure that windows don't re-ice. Works for me and has done for years.
  9. HerefordQuattro

HerefordQuattro Member

personally use a dustpan (with rubber lip) to shovel the wind screen clear but obviously not the paintwork, after a slow crawl down the road most loose stuff will fall off as you gather speed (if you can)
  10. Nutkin

Nutkin Member

I used to put a towel on the windscreen, get out lift off and away you go.
  11. Nutkin

Nutkin Member

12. Fahim

Fahim Member

Wouldn't that just cave in under snow?

Doesen't look sturdy enough to withstand a bit of snow, but going in the right direction i suppose.
  13. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

i would say the best way is to try and keep your car clean so if the snow does slip down the paint its got less chance of scratching it , what i did last year was to warm the car up
  14. nwmlarge

nwmlarge flat out

usually i clear the snow almost down to the surface by hand then pour warm water on all windows etc to clear the rest.
    to be honest though if there is a lot of snow i call in snowed in and go back to bed!
  15. Jonay

Jonay Member

tbh the water doesnt need to be all that warm! just straight from the tap does it for me! :)

I used to not really care with my Corsa/106 and just push/slide it all off.. but i've been paying special attn. to my A3 now and wouldn't dare!
  16. ccm1

ccm1 Member

i have a small portable heater, like a mini space heater, set it to a gentle heat and it clears snow in seconds. i also have a bar heater specifically to leave under the car to warm the engine before starting it in sub zero temperatures.
  17. pi quattro

pi quattro Member

i drive fast, it blows off, stop hard and it falls off. then i call my mate and ask him if he wants my quattro to pull his 5 series off his driveway!!! Ha Ha