1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to remove side light bulbs?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jediknight, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. jediknight
    Offline

    jediknight Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Messages:
    835
    Likes Received:
    1
    got my led bulbs through (thanks Cage) but i cant get the bilbs out of my car. I got the cap of the back of the headlight cluster and i cen get my fingers on the back of the sidelight bulb holder but then what?? it doesnt want to just pull out? does it twist? do i have to take the headlight cluster out and how would i go about this??

    thanks in advance
    #1
  2. Masterm8fo
    Offline

    Masterm8fo Warmonger

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    342
    Likes Received:
    0
    just pull it out - it comes straight out
    i yanked mine on the cord and out it came (poss not reccommended but hey!?!?)

    do the side opp the battery first as ul have more room and see what i mean

    bit o muscle tussle with it

    tell me what they are like ??? am considering getting them for mine as i dont like the yellowish appearance of the current ones i got
    #2
  3. RichA3Turbo
    Offline

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,089
    Likes Received:
    4
    [ QUOTE ]
    jedi-knight83 said:
    got my led bulbs through (thanks Cage) but i cant get the bilbs out of my car. I got the cap of the back of the headlight cluster and i cen get my fingers on the back of the sidelight bulb holder but then what?? it doesnt want to just pull out? does it twist? do i have to take the headlight cluster out and how would i go about this??

    thanks in advance

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Pull and twist and swear and kick. They can be a real b*tch to get out!

    Rich
    #3
  4. jediknight
    Offline

    jediknight Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Messages:
    835
    Likes Received:
    1
    so pull on the actual holder? is getting the headlight out a real pain aswell cause i want to change the main beam bulb aswell
    #4
  5. Gambba
    Offline

    Gambba Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2003
    Messages:
    1,361
    Likes Received:
    1
    [ QUOTE ]
    jedi-knight83 said:
    so pull on the actual holder? is getting the headlight out a real pain aswell cause i want to change the main beam bulb aswell

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yeah, you'll see two wires go into a black housing which holds the bulb, you just need to pull this straight back.
    If you can avoid it then don't remove the headlamps, which although is easy you may need to get them realigned, unless you can mark them up accurately. The main beams should be easy enough, and probably if you want to save time doing the whole job you should remove the battery which is literally 5 mins of work and will save you f'in and blindin.
    #5
  6. NWMark
    Offline

    NWMark Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2003
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    yeah just pull the thing i done mine last week, real pain in the arse as theres no room in behind the lights, the side opposite the battery is easier.

    the actual holder is flatted top and bottom with ridges on so that you can grip it, although its dam hard to actually get hold of these grips.

    just grab it the best you can and pull, no twisting needed it just pops out.

    Mark

    p.s. for the battery side one i found it easier by standing at teh wing and approching it from that angle rather than from the middle of the car.
    #6
  7. NWMark
    Offline

    NWMark Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2003
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    Mastermofo,

    i have the same bulbs from cage and they are a huge improvement over the yellow standard bulbs and look much better with the xenons, maybe slightly more blue than the xenons.

    Only concern i do have is that when just the side lights are on they do look a little too blue for my liking.
    but this doesnt really bother me as i never use just the side lights on there own anyway.

    Mark
    #7
  8. Gambba
    Offline

    Gambba Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2003
    Messages:
    1,361
    Likes Received:
    1
    [ QUOTE ]
    NWMark said:
    Mastermofo,

    i have the same bulbs from cage and they are a huge improvement over the yellow standard bulbs and look much better with the xenons, maybe slightly more blue than the xenons.

    Only concern i do have is that when just the side lights are on they do look a little too blue for my liking.
    but this doesnt really bother me as i never use just the side lights on there own anyway.

    Mark

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Mark,

    I have some sidelight bulbs from Prism (Ring) one pair are blueish and the other give a more purple tint so may be better with your xenons. I can't remember which ones are which but one is with a single large bulb, which I think is the slightly blue one where as the other is a circle of four small LED's creating a purple tint....will have a check of the two when I get a chance....oh no need check out the link about halfway down the pic shows the brighter one as the cluster one and the single as the slightly dimmer one.

    Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
    #8
  9. Masterm8fo
    Offline

    Masterm8fo Warmonger

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    342
    Likes Received:
    0
    crikey - when u see the standard compared with LEDs there is a shocking difference
    cannot believe how poor (functionally and cosmetically) the standard bulbs are

    I have Xenons and also bought some super brilliance larger bulbs from halfords and they are great - like a light house with full beams on - so so bright

    saw a golf recently with the 4 LED sidelights and thought they were a bit too blue (ala max power) for my liking but i think i will have to change as my sidelights as standard are so ****....
    #9
  10. jediknight
    Offline

    jediknight Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Messages:
    835
    Likes Received:
    1
    well i got the sidelights out.... but the led bulb i was supplied is too big to fit back through the hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    #10

Share This Page