1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove glovebox

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by AndymacA4, Jul 19, 2009.

1. AndymacA4

AndymacA4 Member

My glovebox left hand side hinge broke today, it leaves the glovebox swinging on the other hinge. I need to remove it to have a look at fixing it. Anyone know the method of removing the glovebox assembly?

Also, any ideas of how to fix it? Do I have to get a whole new glovebox, or just a new hinge?

Anyone who can shed any light I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Andy
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Removal would be via the bolts that are fixed from underneath, from the side & within the glovebox itself, get your torch out & the side panel should just pop of to reveal the side of the dash, if the hinge has snapped then I would try & bond it back together with some pins of some form & epoxy.

You'd need to take the front lid of & the other hinge part to be able to do this & then let it set for 2 days hard, but just make sure when bonding together you drill out with a dremel some holes in the 2 parts, use something like dowelling, nails, etc to connect the 2 pieces & use epoxy to bond the nails etc in place & the 2 hinge parts together.

Smear the hinge parts over the break then grind it of flat when solid, I've bonded things back together like this, did my glovebox closer unit as that snapped & hasnt been problem since.

Got picture of the break then can see if possible using this method.
  3. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

I used this method that the 'Original;)' AndyMac did & posted up!!
    Just make sure you Lubricate the piston mechanism at the side - you'll see it when you take the side cover off!:icon_thumright:

[​IMG]
  4. AndymacA4

AndymacA4 Member

Nice one, I'll pull it out and have a look, I think the epoxy and pins route first, and if that doesn't work, big bit of angle iron will come next.

Cheers

Andy
  5. AndymacA4

AndymacA4 Member

Got the thing of. Took 2 bolts underneath, 2 from the side and 3 up top!

I've gone with 2 part araldite as attempt number one. The break is pretty clean, the damper looked fine and worked fine, yet since I've had the car the glove box has just flopped open, and has often been a pig to get to close. I reckon the hinge had part broken before I bought the car, and the last bit of plastic was acting as a flappy hinge.

Anyway, its now curing for its 16 hours before 'rough handling'

If this fails, it'll be metal putty and a dirty great headless screw to try plan B.

Plan C is a big bit of angle iron!

I will win, but plans B and C won't look pretty if I do them!
  6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes araldite won't be enough I'm afraid, you will need a metal bracket as well as the leverage on that part of the hinge is a lot (that's why it broke in the first place).
  7. neddynasty

neddynasty New Member

How exactly do you take the front lid off? I've had a look underneath and there looks like a couple of pins holding the hinges in place. Do these just pull out?

I have the same problem and i don't want to break it further!
  8. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

They will probably just push out mate.