1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Remove Air Bag ECU (Audi A4 Avant 2000)

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by thor, Mar 23, 2008.

1. thor

thor New Member

[Mar 23, 2008]
    Hi Guys - today I was trying to find the airbag ECU - wanted to have a look as I am getting a error relating to a bad ground connection. I removed the gear cover as i was told it was behind. - do i need to remove the radio/aircon etc? HELP please![​IMG]

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 23, 2008]
    Before you do anything just disconnect and clean the connections under both seats with some contact cleaner or WD40. These are the most common culprits for triggering the airbag light. The system is really sensitive and checks the resistance on all connections to work out if there's a fault. Any build up of dirt on the connection to the seats will cause the light to trigger. Once triggered you'll need VAGCOM to reset the system.
  4. thor

thor New Member

[Mar 24, 2008]
    Hi Thanks yes I did try that - but no luck - I actually disconected, cleaned with contact cleaner and reconected both airbags some time ago...now I got three fault codes, one for each seat airbag and the 65535 code.

[[[65535 P0603 Control Unit Failure or Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
    or Power Failure to Control Unit or Bad Ground Contacts or No Faults Recorded
    (If MIL Not Illuminated)
    65535 No Faults Recorded (If MIL Not Illuminated)​
    65535 Control Unit Faulty (In Some Systems)]]]

My Guess is that I cannot clear the 65535 code...as soon as i clear it - it re-appers! - thats why i wanted to see if there was anything obvious wrong with the ECU.
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 24, 2008]
    is the airbag light actually staying on after you reset it with vagcom?

you will get that 65535 code from a perfectly working system as it says up there, it means amongst other things "No Faults Recorded"
  6. thor

thor New Member

[Mar 24, 2008]
    Thats a thought... The "AIR BAG" light does stay on - howerver the "passenger airbag" light by the overhead light comes on and turns off as it should... Initally I only had the 65535 fault code with the "AIR BAG" iluminated.