How To - Red RS3-Style Air Vents

Reactions: Dunedin
Hey guys. I'm new to this site. I saw this thread and really wanted to do this mod. However, I live in the U.S. and my vents are not the same. You just turn the outer ring and there are flaps in the back that open and close. The center knob does nothing. It does not slide in and out at all. I guess I would have to get those vents first if I wanted to do this mod?

Nevermind. I figured out how to change them. Max-Robbo actually put it in this post. Thanks guys.

Reactions: RL
This was a great tutorial. Thanks Max. Vents are all done. One tip though for the US folks. You really need to sand down the three tabs until they are smooth. See picture below. I slid a small screwdriver in behind the tab to hold it in place while a filed down the plastic with a very small round file. Worked great. Next up, the interior trim pieces. See second pic for reference.

IMG 1658

New Audi RS3 Sportback Interior

Reactions: dp_motley and RL
Why did you need to sand these tabs down? And why is it specific to the US owners?

Because our vents don't slide in and out like the others. They are stationary. In order to get them to slide in and out, you have to cut and file down those plastic pieces on the three tabs.

Reactions: allanmb
Was contemplating doing this by hydro dipping. Along with other bits as a package deal. Anyone got other bits dipped?
Screenshot 20171025 195944

Thought I’d share this on here as I came across these the other day https://winnautosports.com/product/...r-vent-blade-replacement/?attribute_color=Red
red air vent blades you can directly swap out for your old ones rather than having to paint the originals. My attempt of spraying my old ones didn’t exactly go to plan :whistle2: so I’ve ordered a set of these and will post some photos once they arrive for anyone else interested

Reactions: JonnyS3 and oli356
Thought I’d share this on here as I came across these the other day https://winnautosports.com/product/...r-vent-blade-replacement/?attribute_color=Red
red air vent blades you can directly swap out for your old ones rather than having to paint the originals. My attempt of spraying my old ones didn’t exactly go to plan :whistle2: so I’ve ordered a set of these and will post some photos once they arrive for anyone else interested

Any idea when they will arrive ? I’m tempted.

Any idea when they will arrive ? I’m tempted.
Arrived in the post a week or so ago and haven’t had chance to install them yet, quality looks decent maybe slightly too bright red if I’m being picky, RS3 ones seem slightly darker in pictures I’ve seen but I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve installed them, especially if it saves me £300 vs a genuine set! It’s on my to do list this weekend so I’ll post some pictures here then so you can see

Reactions: Leevr
So quick update managed to get some time today to install these, for the £20 or so pounds these cost they are a real bargain if you don’t want to spray paint your existing blades. Installation is exactly the same as the original instructions. Feel slightly more rough to operate than the original blades I replaced but they may loosen over time and still function fine anyway. Glad I saved myself £200+ compared to the oem version!

Attachments

• 4F98DEF6-1DC5-42DB-9522-7CF4B955885A.jpeg
    4F98DEF6-1DC5-42DB-9522-7CF4B955885A.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 58D4CAE2-D822-40F1-962F-38964ACC00B8.jpeg
    58D4CAE2-D822-40F1-962F-38964ACC00B8.jpeg
    490 KB · Views: 311
I want the RS Design red vents - I have some OEM ones from the PFL RS3 but want the new ones.

Anyone want to swap? (Worth a shot - otherwise $79 each from vagmall).

Nardo-esque grey!?

Attachments

• 20180831_183658.jpg
    20180831_183658.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 273
Reactions: dp_motley