How to program my new key?

DjDiddles

Reaction score
I just bought a new key from ebay. All the numbers match my current key so it should work. I looked through the owners manual but can't seem to find clear insturctions to program my new key. I haven't got it cut yet, will be doing that this weekend. I don't have vag com so can't use that! Anything will help!! Thanks!!!!

You can program the remote unlocking without VAG-COM but it's the immobiliser that's the problem.

You will need the 7 digit code that came on a little plastic tag with the original keys and you will need VAG-COM or an Audi dealer to code the transponder in the key to match your immobiliser.

If you don't have the code then you will have to take the car to a dealer as they have to get the code directly from Audi in Germany and program the new key within so many minutes of receiving the new code.

i may have jumped the gun here. It does depend upon how old your car is. It its a newish car then the above applies. If its older then perhaps others can advise better although I still belive you need VAG-COM to code the key to your immobiliser

Yea, I think you are right. What you need is the 'SKU', if you are lucky you will have this, if not then I believe the only way to get it is at the dealer. And in anycase they can't really get it for you as they have a new key programming system called GEKO which provides them with one-time keys.

So basically you have to go to the dealer.

I have an 01 so I don't think I have the immboliser in the key. Isn't that in 03 and new or something? I think I am just going to take it to the dealer any way to make sure it's done right! Don't want to screw it up!

I believe all VAG cars sold in the UK have an immobiliser, but I've just noticed you are in the States so I'm not sure about yours.

Called the dealer and they want to charge $55.00 to program the key! I don't think I have an immboliser so I found some instructions online from a couple of other forums and going to try that. Then I'll take it to get cut as well from a local locksmith. Will let you guys know how it turns out!