1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to 'ME7 conversion' your AEB/AJL.

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Bradderz_1988, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mad Cow

Mad Cow New Member

I've done this conversion myself and any year b5.5 passat works, at least in the north America market. I bought an auto '04 harness at one point and it was basically identical to its equivalent b5 a4 harness.

2. gmx

gmx Member

Did you guys get AWT engined cars in NA?
    There are always subtle yet stumbling differences despite engine code being the same. This seems to have 'normalised' from the B6 onwards.

3. Mad Cow

Mad Cow New Member

Never heard of AWT, what are the specifics? (power/tq, wideband or not, vvt or not, etc) As far as I know all these variations are basically identical electronically with the biggest difference being the ECU tune.

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

i think the USA got AWM instead of AWT.

5. gmx

gmx Member

I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if the ECU had different size/memory addresses to AWM either. But haven't investigated dumps of it yet, ECU itself is least of my concern tbh.
    What year b5.5 Passat did you use? My ETKA is expired and I can't be stuffed getting another running on virtual WinXP, but I bet there is Cluster, CAN(more things communicated over CAN), and definitely VSS differences just like 2002 & 2003 B6 Split.
    The telling thing as Aragorn mentioned is the different in harness part number between 2000-2002 and >2002.
    One more question for you, are the harnesses a different part number between the automatics and manuals? I can only find wrecked autos here, I know I'll have to piss around procuring and sorting the third man pedal without a proper donor.

What other differences are there between auto & man? Waterpump/coolant circuit hose differences possibly?

6. Mad Cow

Mad Cow New Member

At the moment I'm using an 01 a4 manual harness with an 02 or 03 passat ecu flashed with an awm a4 bin. I bought an 04 passat auto harness at one point but decided resell it instead of cutting it up. It was basically identical to an 01 a4 harness, I don't know where you're getting the VSS idea from. The passat ecu communicates to the same modules as an a4, doesn't matter one bit unless you really want traction control to work. As for part numbers, I remember seeing at least 2 or 3 different part numbers each for auto and manual, the tiniest difference will warrant a different part number.

7. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

8. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator

9. Bradderz_1988

Yes it propably is but id need to know exactly what is needed obviously the answer is a passat lol

But which years are ok would a 03/53 plate be ideal or is it better to go for 02/52 also if it is auto what needs done just the auto side of the loom pulling out of the loom or would that confuse the engine ecu as there would be data missing so to speak ??

^^ answer - just buy a manual i take it ? But what if its dead cheap and close to home ??

10. Broken Byzan

The wiring should be easy enough to bypass. It's the pedal box you need for the dbw unit you'll be missing using an auto

11. Bradderz_1988

But couldn't you just use the S4 pedal on existing pedal box if it came to it ?

12. Broken Byzan

Possibly. You still have to remove the pedal box to fit the sender. And you'd have to buy the s4 sender with it's s4 tax
    The s4 pedal box is the same as ours with the separate sender on a little cable with quadrant on the end. It will bolt to our pedal box but you need to remove it to do if. @aragorn has done that ready for his conversion

#52 Broken Byzan, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  13. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

Thread bump. This appears to a "hard to find item" on eBay. Any place/website I should be looking at?

**wont need TB, MAF+housing and ECU btw

How much(ballpark) should I be paying for those without the items I mentioned?

14. Broken Byzan

15. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

Hi Mark,

the whole lot bar the stuff I won't need.

**duh on me lol. I'll PM you on FB hahaha.

Danny

16. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

Bit of an update, located someone breaking an AWT passat and have the complete hardware listed here to run mE7.5(or Vipec in my case).

Will that work on an 058 motor ? Guy reckons it's the same as an APU harness hardware but a mate who's got Etka checked for me and found the part number to be different.

17. aragorn

It will probably be similar enough to work. AWT harness is wideband so will be different to an APU one anyway.

18. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

Bloke said this :-

Wouldn't the sensors be different seeing the APU is an 058 and AWT an 06A?

19. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

So got hold of an Etka copy and found that the AJL and APU knock sensors and harness are identical.

Did you guys end up using a non DBW pedal bracket?

20. aragorn

Some sensors were revised yes, you can either get a later sensor, or simply splice the earlier plug on.

21. Broken Byzan

AWT loom FTW. Of course it'll have a different part number being WB over NB of the APU

22. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

Hey Mark,

did you reuse your DBC throttle pedal bracket?

I'll be running a Vipec i88 plug in standalone this time so as long as it's a DBW setup I'll be fine

23. aragorn

why are you pissing around with a standalone?

Moreover, if your going down the road of a standalone, why are you pissing around trying to get the exact drop in harness, when your not even using a factory ECU?

24. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

One because im more familiar tweaking a standalone ECU than an ME7.5 and it's got a very good local tech support. Very very few people can tune ME7.5 here too.

Also why im swapping a complete harness of an APU is because wiring in a standalone is very time consuming, especially mating it with cluster.

The Vipec standalone ECU has a plug and play unit for the APU, APY etc will start up first go on a 386cc injector after you hook up a source for the internal 4 bar map sensor.

Just to give you an idea of what the Vipec can do:-

Did you end up converting yours?

25. Broken Byzan

I put the passat pedal box in mine. Aragorn fitted the s4 sender with the original pedal box. Even that requires the pedal box out to fit the sender. Pain either way sadly

26. flatshifter

flatshifter Member

Thanks Mark. I have an idea what to expect now.

I'll post updates on FB upon my return from holidays.

Cheers mate