How to make my turbo more audible?

Sweetturbowhistle

Suckin' Diesel
Reaction score
Hello people! I'm new here so prepare yourselves!My question is this: Is there a way I can make my turbo more audible ? I have an 08 2.0tdi (170ps) which has a really sweet turbo whistle when first started in the morning but after a couple hundred yards it's almost unnoticeable! It's the factory fit garret turbo but I would be open to all suggestions from a turbo upgrade to intake upgrades etc. please note performance is not what I'm trying to achieve I just love the sound of a good turbo spool up😜 Happy posting! James

Break one of the compressor fins ! It will be very noticeable after that...

Reactions: Bagley-S3 and NHN
Tell me more tell me more! I am quite well clued up on agricultural Diesel engines (tractors) but am yet to discover the wonders of aftermarket parts. Does this affect other things such as reliability? I'm guessing insurance will go up too?

You can use a good panel filter, however on a diesel engine they do jack ! The best way to get the turbo whistle a bit more noticeable is by taking the DPF off (if fitted) and free-flowing the rest of the exhaust...

Bit of an odd request! My 170 has a bit of a noticeable siren noise more so when cold. It's been like that since I bought it a few years ago so should be ok, but often not a good sign I thought to have a loud turbo.

But as above, if you have the DPF-deleted the turbo is louder at the tailpipes (you can hear it spinning at idle as the exhaust is pretty much open with the DPF off).

Well in 5 years never read this request, heard them all now.

Reactions: Andy1608, MartayMcFly and wuta3
Ive had a few sirens going that bad I thought I was being chased by the police....then my turbo went ! Dont worry wasnt in an Audi, theyve gone in a Saab 2.2 SE tid (2 times, car is still running somewhere) and Bmw 320d (car still going also)

Thanks for all the posts, it has a DPF but as S3P8 says it would fail an MOT when taken off which isn't much use! I think an induction filter of some description may be the answer. Presumably any modifications will alter insurance? I'm not looking for extra power as 170 is plenty. NHN I cannot believe nobody has asked this before! Everyone loves a good turbo spool right? I'm used to larger displacement engines with turbos the size of my head that make spooling sounds that make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck:) Yes C_W my car is quite audible when cold, unsure why, but it would be nice if it sounded like that all the time.

So... Iv just been reading some other forums, quick google search, most people say a new induction kit to allow the air to flow more freely makes the turbo much more audible. Obviously if I wanted more power then I'd be looking for an exhaust upgrade as a minimum too, but since I'm just looking for a nice sound this would suit me. I must sound like a real noob to you people:) is there much difference in types of inductions? (Wet, dry, cold?)

You could slide your seat forward a bit, then you'll be closer to the turbo and it'll be louder.

Really though, best way to hear the turbo more is to get rid of the dugga-dugga-dugga engine noise and use proper petrol.

Reactions: crunchie, wuta3 and NHN
Theres loads of threads on this with different suggestions, if you google it,

I dont know enough about it myself but it sounds possible

Anythings possible!!! That would be pretty sweet if I could get a sweet turbo spool up and a whhhooosh to finish off😊 Im fairly new to engine modifying as iv not long learnt the basics of how engines work, but I am very in to the idea although the government are making it increasingly difficult to do so. This is why I bought a car with plenty of go about it as standard and then I can add my own little 'low performance and lots of fun' mods here and there.

I'm in two minds about modifying cars, I'm trying to sell one at the moment and people are put off by mods, mainly because of not understanding/trusting them and insurance. People seem to trust manufacturers blindly.

PS maybe I should keep it and modify it further !

Well I bought this car as my first car after saving for years, I'm now 20 and don't plan to sell it any time soon. I have a lot of respect for my car and in particular the engine. Regular servicing and maintenance will see this car alive for many years to come. If I did sell it id just fit the stock parts back on.

I'm enjoying my S3 as it is at the moment, when I get bored with it I will either sell or modify.

It's a shame all these laws are in place against loud exhausts. This planet is ****** anyway so we may as we'll be enjoying what's left of it!

Trying to make a turbo diesel sound better, heard it all now lol.

Trying to make a turbo diesel sound better, heard it all now lol.
These don't sound to bad I have a 3'' straight through pipe, sounds good enough to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sweetturbowhistle
No smoke no poke........:drag:

Reactions: Sweetturbowhistle, ninjakid and wuta3
Those TDI's sound quite good if your normal ride is a speedboat. :racer:

I quite like those American trucks with aftermarket exhausts, but they are usually V10s or something.

Reactions: Sevv and crunchie