1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make my German A3 8L UK-ready?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Steve06, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Steve06

Steve06 New Member

[Aug 25, 2012]
    Hi folks,
    happy to have found what seems to be the largest Audi community in the UK. :)

I'm looking forward to move from Germany to Oxford soon and would like to take my 1998-built A3 8L (1.6 petrol) with me.

I'm aware I'll need to change the headlights (already heard stickers won't do), the speedo dials and also the fog light on the back to get the car registered with the DVLA.

Do you guys have any tips for me on where to find cheap (used) replacement parts (and maybe also a nice inexpensive garage in Oxfordshire)? General tips on the registration/MOT approval process in general are also appreciated.

I'll stay in the UK for about 3 years and would appreciate if the changes made were both inexpensive and reversible.

Will appreciate any helpful comments.

Steve
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 25, 2012]
    Headlights and Dials should be relatively cheap on ebay, however the dials contain the immobiliser, so you'll need to have that coded in to the new dials. Not difficult with the correct cable/software though!

Why would you need to change the foglight? Is the german one on the other side?

If so, you can probably just install a UK rear light cluster and tweak the wiring to suit. UK allows two fogs, so you can just leave the german one inplace.
  4. Steve06

Steve06 New Member

[Aug 25, 2012]
    Currently the car only has a rear foglight on the left side. Might be a good idea to add one as Germans also accept two foglights, one on each side.

Can I get around replacing the whole instrument cluster and just use a sticker/fascia? I found they're difficult to find on ebay though (Especially because many offers on ebay do not state to which A3 exactly they apply.)

I also know that some A3s do have headlights that are equipped with some kind of switch/lever for right- and left-side traffic. If I were able to identify the right ones that fit my car, this would be the optimal solution.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  5. aragorn

[Aug 25, 2012]
    I believe the LHD/RHD switch doesnt actually convert the headlamps from one to the other, it just cuts off the beam to stop it blinding traffic when your driving on the "wrong" side.
  6. Steve06

Steve06 New Member

[Aug 25, 2012]
    I agree with the way it works, but wouldn't that be good enough for UK registration?
  7. aragorn

[Aug 25, 2012]
    no idea on the requirements you'd need to meet for that.

It seriously reduces the light output and beam distance though, so not really ideal long term.
  8. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[Aug 25, 2012]