How to know if the valve seals need done?

cjrob

Reaction score
had an oil leak on my 2.8 V6 for ages, didnt really have the time to have a look before today, looked at the usual valve seal area, there appears to be alot of black gunk around the seals so I am assuming this is where the oil is comming from.

only issue is it only leaks when the car is flat, if it is parked with the nose raised then it doesnt leak.

dont want to shell out for some seals if thats not the real problem.

links are show the valve seal area.

IMG_0207 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_0206 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

cheers

you mean "valve cover seal" = easy swap. looks like you need a new gasket, get a decent cork one from Reinz or similar branded goods

"valve seals" tends to refer to the valve stem seals inside the head which is a much bigger job.

ahhh yes, sorry valve cover seals, eurocarparts have them, just unbranded, best to avoid?? (there £36 each)

its just a one piece rubber or cork gasket mate, nothing special required there, its not under pressure like other parts of the engine. Any make will do. I wouldnt be payin ****** £36 for a rocker gasket tho lol. Check ebay, for rocker cover gasket or valve cover gasket.

its just a one piece rubber or cork gasket mate, nothing special required there, its not under pressure like other parts of the engine. Any make will do. I wouldnt be payin ****** £36 for a rocker gasket tho lol. Check ebay, for rocker cover gasket or valve cover gasket.

hmmm can only find ones around the £30 mark, the 4 pots are cheaper, the V6s seem to be very expensive!!

Thats about what I ended up paying. Was extremely disgruntled as it (as stated above) is nothing special.

to keep an eye on it in future.
get the engine up to temp,
switch it off,
spray all the oil marks with brake cleaner.
watch it magically dry to a nice metal finish.
then just keep an eye out for any additional oil spills.