1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get a new Audi Radio code....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by oyohbb, Mar 25, 2010.

1. oyohbb

oyohbb New Member

...without going to the dealers?

I foolishly left my interior light on a couple of weeks ago, and my battery died. I jump started it, and all was well, but my stereo went into SAFE mode.

I looked in my manual for the radio code, but the card part where it would be had been cut out. Apparently you are entitled to the code free if you go to the dealers. So I pulled out my stereo to get the code at the back, took my V5, my service book and my insurance to the dealers (Audi Whetstone), and I was told that I need to pay £35 + VAT for the code. Not only that, but it also had to be taken into the garage, and only on a Wednesday morning. So I would also have to take a day off work!

To be honest she was incredibly rude about it, but now it's been 3 weeks without music and I am going a bit mad. It's bloody boring without music and I keep thinking I hear noises from the engine/exhaust/ body panels etc.

I have searched the forum (and the net), and there is no threads about people actually getting their code. I know there are sites on the net that reckon they can get the number, but I don't know how reliable they are. Some people also said try the last 4 digits of my radio serial number, but that didnt work either.

Any help would be gratefully received :)
  2. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Nope, i went through the same thing, phoned my local audi up (wakefield) and they were fine, wasnt going to charge me a thing, ended up finding it in the end lol, anyway they shouldnt charge you, just kick up a fuss, i do, always work haha :)
  3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

It's written in black and white that they should give it you for free... on the stupid card where the number is of course, so if you haven't got that, you wouldn't know...
  4. oyohbb

oyohbb New Member

Cheers mate, I did try kicking up a fuss, and the woman basically implied that if I didn't want to take my stereo in, it was probably because I nicked the stereo. I was going to really kick off then, but I was with someone, and also i have quite a good relationship with the parts guy there.

Grrrr...
  5. oyohbb

oyohbb New Member

Jojo, I'm sure there is another part in the manual which also says it should be no charge. But they just say there is now. I will probably go to another dealer and give it a go, but it's such a pain in the arse.
  6. Rough

Rough Member

Should have asked to speak to her manager i know i certainly would have, cheeky bint.
  7. Pat J

Pat J Getting there

I've had mine done at the dealers at no cost, just booked it in on a saturday morning. Also had my Passat and Leon done previously at no cost either by the dealers. Might be worth checking with another dealer.
  8. oyohbb

oyohbb New Member

I will try another one tomorrow. Cheers mate. Which dealers did you go to?
  9. Pat J

Pat J Getting there

I had it done at Grimsby Audi
  10. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

I had to pay for audi stealer to retrieve my radio code, when I quoted the manual I was told that dealers couuld choose whether they charged for it or not! grr! :gun2:
  11. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

See on the back of the card where your radio code is this,

[​IMG]

funny thing is, if you have this card, you obviously have the code, but if you lose it, you won't know what's written on it!
  12. sam745

sam745 New Member

I had a replacement book with mine when I bought it and no code. I put my radio into safe mode and couldn't unlock it. Dealer wanted to charge half an hours labour (£68)! I searched the net and found a company that would do it for £25 plus postage plus vat. Cost about £31 in the end I think and I had it back within three days. Thought i'd rather risk it than pay supid Audi price!