how to dim down the back light of a boost gauge

bora54

Reaction score
when i installed my boost gauge the back like was so bright it was blinding so as a short fix i wired it in to the dimming of the clocks but everything on the dash looks dim and i need a way of just dimming the gauge im guessing a need some sort or resistor but what wattage or ohms would i need or is there a variable one i can get

i know it doesnt help you but i left my boost light disconnected for that reason... reminds me of an mr2 turbo i had a few years ago, it had 3 gauges in a pillar pod and a hks turbo timer on the dash, double din lcd radio/dvd and an avcr all beaming in my eyes lol... was pretty much un-drivable at night!

sure someone will come along and sort it for you...

i'm not great with electrics, but i think you should be able to get a variable resistor and stick that in, then switch it to what you want it (basically a dimmer switch) hopefully someone that knows a bit more about that kind of stuff will be able to recommend one (if it's possible)

the way i done it was to leave the screen protector on it , nice shade of blue , dulls it down lovely :salute:

a variable resistor would be perfect just need to know where i can get one and what wattage and ohms i need i dunno why the gauge has to be so dam bright

Drop JayA3 a message as I know he's put a resistor in his to dim the brightness.

I hooked my one up to the dimmer that dims the interior lights.

That way they all dim together.

as above i always wire into the light clock dim wireing
never had a problem that way.

I think I even made a guide ages ago.

Surely you can just run the illumination wires off the cigarette lighter terminal's ? That would dim it and be easily accessible enough ?

ended up buying a milti bag of variable resistors from maplins and finding one that suited so all sorted now and im not blinded any more