1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clean silver door strips and grill on S5?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Scruffy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

[Jun 23, 2010]
    Can someone please help me in resotring the reflective shine to my silver window strips and grill surround? They are all a dull matt grey from the previous owner using car washes etc. One of the best things about an S car is the silver verticle striped front grill but you can hardly see it!!! I own Autoglym engine cleaner and lifeshine kit as well as their metal polish...any of this work to degrease it and shine it up do you think, it just looks like layers of wax/product that has dulled the effect

Thanks everyone and if anyone fancies blackfiring an S5 in Leeds then let me know...it needs a good machine polish

Andy
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

[Jun 23, 2010]
    Hi Andy, I know a few local detailers so will buzz them later and see if they can fit you in.

Re the metal, I would suggest some simple super resin polish. This is an all round light polish that will bring the chrome back to life.
  4. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Jun 23, 2010]
  5. JD09

[Jun 23, 2010]
    Will that be strong enough to remove bonded on stuff, Rich?
  6. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

[Jun 23, 2010]
    Hi JD,

I do have some SRP. Looking losely at the strips, you can see what looks like water spot marks on that just dont come off when i rub a damp cloth or detail spray over. IT looks like stubborn product and was just wondering if a degreaser would work then a polish?

Thanks
  7. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Jun 24, 2010]
    Yes, absolutely - apply it with a Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad and you'll be amazed at what it can clean up/remove in the way of stains, oxidation, tarnishing, etc. It's one of those products that you'll use all the time once you try it - I can honestly say we use it on 99% of the cars we work on somewhere on another.

It might, but you can kill two birds with one stone by looking at the Werkstat product as it's a combined cleaner, chemical polish and protectant. Just apply it using a firm foam pad for best results - in this case I think it's the perfect product for your needs. :sm4:
  8. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    Not sure as tho the trim you speak of is going to scrub up at all, Scruffy...

The alu trim around my windows and the roofrails suffer from some pretty heavy 'milking' (tarnishing)... Where strong TFR's have been used on the car in a previous life, it's eaten into the finish and NOTHING I throw at it will resolve the problem. Ive tried the Jeffs Prime, I've tried SRP, Autosol Belgom ALU and allll sorts. (Jefsf Prime IS a fantastic product as Rich states; certainly one for the collection!))
  9. JD09

[Jun 24, 2010]
    Thanks chaps, one to add to the basket!
  10. DJM1982

DJM1982 Member

[Jun 24, 2010]
    I hae the same prob on my A4, if yoave any job then please let me know what you used and i'll give it ago myself.
  11. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Member

[Jun 26, 2010]
    I used the normal jeffs prime on my trim and it came up like new. Highly recommended, there wasn't a mark left on them.
  12. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Jul 13, 2010]
    a recent example of Jeffs' cleaning powerrrrrr:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shabba!
  13. IGI

IGI Member

[Jul 23, 2010]
    Have you had any luck with this trim problem? My wife has just bought a 2006 A4 avant s -line hers has the same problem looks like tarnishing but doesnt come off tried various products to no avail ...it looks horrible close up and i dont really fancy replacing the window trims