How To Clean A Moldy Roof On Cab

kriskross

Reaction score
so i bought my car 1 week ago and the previous owner never hovered or cleaned it much as it was crisp and crumb city, anyway im assuming it was sat under a tree or a few now i have managed to clean it inside and out except the roof, im wandering how to clean the green moss or sap of the roof as its a bit dirty i tried warm soapy water and that did nowt.

so how can i clean it. apologies if this has been answered before.

There are quite a few cleaning kits on the internet from various detailing companies... Haven't used them personally, but that would be a great place to start.

Cheers

Id start by hoovering it gently with the brush attachment
Then try to work on the green mould spots with white vinegar and a scrubbing brush to kill the spores- at this stage I would try to suck the roof off with a wet and dry cleaner to try to remove the mould spores that the vinegar would have killed
Then id clean the roof with maybe auto glym hood treatment and apply the waterp[roofer (2 part)
The key is killing and removing the green mould as it like to live in the roof material

I use the autoglym 2 part system as well, it's about £20 for a litre of cleaner and proofer and a rough sponge. The cleaner goes a long way but I find that a litre of proofer is not quite enough for the a4 so I hang off until it's on a 3 for 2 offer at Halfords, which it is quite often.

Give it a good scrub up with the rough sponge and jet wash all the crap out, repeat until clean. I've never tried the vinegar tip but might give it a go.

Handbook says not to jetwash but I've never had any problems, just be careful where you point it, I usually go from front to back, keeping the jet horizontal and not too close, avoiding upspray at the top of the windows and where it sits on the rear storage box.

There are a couple of drain holes in the seals either side of the windscreen, make sure these are not blocked (common cause of leaks) and don't allow the proofer to run in there either.