1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change the coil?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by a4-er, Dec 23, 2012.

1. a4-er

a4-er New Member

[Dec 23, 2012]
    I have an a4 avant 1.6 2001 mod.
    Yesterday i was driving, then the light for electronics lamp started blinking and the engine started to shake and got a loss of power. Got home and i opened the hood. It was dark. But something was glowing red. Guess it was the exhaust pipe or something. I then used the torque app to scan for faults. I got cylinder 4 missfire. Tried swaping the sparkplugs for cylinder 3 and 4. Cleared the faultcodes. Then started the car. Same problem then. Scanned again. Then got cylinder 1 and 4 missfire.. I wonder. Could it be just the plugs. Or can it be the ignitioncoil?. Never worked much on cars. So is there alot of work to change the coil? Anyone who has a good description on how to do it? Searched the net. But could only find for audi cars with different engines then i have.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. robrml

robrml New Member

[Dec 24, 2012]
    You can defiantly start by changing the plugs, they are inexpensive ~$10 for 4
  4. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 24, 2012]
    unplug the MAF and do it again before you waste any time on plugs and coils

I had the exact same issue 12 months ago.
  5. a4-er

a4-er New Member

[Jan 5, 2013]
    Changed the coil and wires and plugs. Its okay now. Was afraid the catalyst got destroyed too, but it was fine.