How to avoid color difference after accident

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
My car is going to get new hood, left fender and bumper after an accident. The car color, Dakota Grey, is among troublesome and all paint shops warn me that I very likely will see a difference between the old and the new parts. Who knows what to do to make this difference as little as possible?

One guy at a paint shop suggested to spray the left door in addition to the fender. He said the color difference would be less visible between two doors (in the middle of the car) than between the door and the fender.

Another guy at vortex recommends to paint the right fender too to avoid color difference between the hood and the right fender. But that would create another color mismatch: between the fender and the right door.

Was anyone in this situation? Were you lucky to get an exact color to your car? Do you know any tricks your painting shop used for better result?

Thanks for any advise.

Any decent painter will blend the colour into the next panel, you should NEVER paint edge to edge.
Did you mean, for instance, that a decent painter should spray a part of the front door like a gradient, starting thicker at the beginning (close to the fender) and making the paint fade to the end of the door?

If say you were just having the bumper painted then the painter would blend into both front wings then lacquer the lot.

I spoke with a painted that will paint my cat yesterday. He said he will blend into surrounding areas to avoid visible color difference. Fingers are crossed.

Good luck with the car, but don't think your cat will be too happy painted in Dakota Grey :wink:

Reactions: QuattroCalum
Well, I got her painted. I cannot notice any color difference between old and new paint. For those who doesn't know that my car was damaged, it's invisible. However, the clear coat layer on the OEM paint is thicker. I see it. When I look at the new and old paint together (fender/door or bonnet/fender), the new paint looks nice and polished, but the old one looks like it's under a layer of glass. So deep is the old clear coat. I'm going to the paint shop tomorrow to request a second layer of the clear coat on all the new parts.

Glad you are happy with the result
How much did it cost you if you don't mind?

I need to get my front bumper resprayed as some idiot decided to reverse back to my car
Luckily it's a few scratches and nothing deeper than that
But we should all get dashcams and I personally think it's worth it

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. As to the cost, I didn't know the price because insurance paid for the repair to a garage. I didn't see the money. But I spoke with the painter about painting other parts such as spoilers, etc. and he quoted DKK 800-1000 (£90-110) per one piece. The UK prices can be different.

P.S. I'd like to add to my earlier post where I wrote that I was going to get another layer of the clear coat. I spoke with the painter and he said that he painted according to technology: two layers of the clear coat with 5-10 minutes between applications (the second layer comes onto still wet first one). He said he would apply a new clear coat (double layer again after sanding), but there was a risk to make new parts look darker due thicker layer of the clear coat. He suggested me to polish the new painted parts one more time and see the result first. So did I. I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a battery driven drill/el.screwdriver with a polishing head. The result was above my expectations. I don't see any shine difference anymore and am not going to pay for more clear coat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fanboy