1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I get my new A3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by spencerjoel, Jul 23, 2008.

1. spencerjoel

spencerjoel Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 23, 2008]
    Hi all!
    After an accident destroyed my last A3 I have just been informed that my replacement is due into the dealer on Monday and I can have it on Wednesday from the dealers 126 miles away!!
    The only trouble is how to get it, my options are:

1. Collect the car on wednesday (sort out a lift, pay for fuel etc)

2. Get the car delivered by one of the dealer's drivers (risk it getting damaged and have over 100 miles on the clock before I start!)

3. Get the car delivered on a transporter, (will have to wait an extra 10-14 days for a transporter to be able to bring the car up)

What do you guys reckon?, what would you do?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 29, 2015]

3. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Jul 23, 2008]
    Number 1 doesnt seem that hard does it
  4. spencerjoel

spencerjoel Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 23, 2008]
    that's what I'm thinking, it's just that everyone I mention that I'm doing a 250 mile round trip to pick up a car looks at me as if I'm insane!
    I was just checking my sanity with you guys!
  5. GlasgowRangers

GlasgowRangers GlasgowRangersFC

[Jul 23, 2008]
    Same thing happened when I bought my car. I insisted on collecting the car myself and had a wonderful 200km drive. Loved every second of it. I'm sure you will too. Perfect excuse to have a nice long drive on the first day of ownership. Can't see why you are debating it quite frankly.

:think:
  6. Shaq12

Shaq12 Drive it like its hot!

[Jul 23, 2008]
    For some reason I always trek half of the country for my cars, luckily I have a good mate who is always up for a roadtrip for some beer tokens!! So far we've been to Nottingham and Coventry all the way from Southampton!!

So I don't think its at all insane. If you can't get anyone then how about a train?? If the dealers are not too far away they may even pick you up.......

Cheers
    C
  7. Mikey

Mikey Member

[Jul 23, 2008]
    train would be my method.
  8. consilio

consilio Up the owls!

[Jul 23, 2008]
    LOL, I once flew from Northampton (Via Luton Airport) to Edinburgh to pick up a car. 7 hour drive on teh way home was good fun though
  9. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[Jul 23, 2008]
    train seems a good option!! You get there on time and not tired...

Pedro
  10. SnAzBaZ

SnAzBaZ Member

[Jul 23, 2008]
    Drive it back and put the 126 miles on the clock yourself. Got mine from a dealer 85 miles away, was part exchanging so had to drive there anyway, but would have sorted a lift it not purely to drive it back.

Also means you can check it over at the dealer and make sure any issues get sorted before you drive away. They are much easier to convince when you are standing in there showroom, than calling them up on the phone!
  11. SnAzBaZ

SnAzBaZ Member

[Jul 23, 2008]
    Have you been on UK trains recently ? :) :)
  12. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[Jul 23, 2008]
    yes... two days of my week that is how I commute.... but I know what you mean!! ahahahah

Pedro
  13. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

[Jul 23, 2008]
    I did the train option - dealer picked me up from the station which was helpful. I collected from Kent and I'm in Northants - was a good trip back, though I was driving back like a granny :)
  14. RAPS3

RAPS3 Well-Known Member

[Jul 23, 2008]
    I'd take the road trip.

I picked up my last new car from Bristol.

I flew down from Newcastle airport to Bristol (£35) got picked up by the dealer, who then took me for breakfast and then on to the garage to pick up my car. All in all an enjoyable day and quite a lot of miles added to the car for the run in period over before I even got home.
  15. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

16. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Jul 23, 2008]
    Pick it up and drive.

250 mile round trip is nowt nowadays!
  17. PNH80

PNH80 Low life livin' the high life.

[Jul 24, 2008]
    Well i picked up my A3 on March 1st this year from Devon and i live in Derbyshire....Thats 245 miles.
    I got the train down which took 3 hours but with the help of a magazine, paper, Ipod and a sandwich it flew by even though i hate trains with a passion.
    The dealership was a short stroll from the station. Picked up the car, checked it over and i was on my way. I covered the 240 mile journey back home in about 2.5 hours so i was back home brfore tea time.

I did stress to the dealer that everything had to be absolutely spot on with the car seeing as i was travelling that far otherwise i was demanding a courtesy car with a full tank of fuel to get me home.
  18. nhowroyd

nhowroyd Member

[Jul 24, 2008]
    Option one is the only one to go for....

Its a no brainer
  19. magnus911

magnus911 R8GGA

[Jul 24, 2008]
    Guy who bought my car last week flew down from Aberdeen! I asked him if he'd done a route plan and he said he thought he had about a 400 mile trip back...

Wanting to demonstrate all the cool features of his new car I punched his address into the RNS-E and it showed 581 miles / 11 hours. His girlfriend's expression was classic!
  20. PNH80

PNH80 Low life livin' the high life.

[Jul 24, 2008]
    Getting a one way train ticket is the way to go and it's cheaper if you reserve in advance. Fuel will cost you more and the other guy has to drive all the way back too.
    Sure trains aren't great but lets not get all precious....It's only ONE journey and you're collecting a lovely new car at the end of it.

EDIT: And yes Audi will pick you up from the station if you phone ahead and tell them which train you're catching.