1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How practical do you find your car?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by DaiBlue, Mar 13, 2009.

1. DaiBlue

DaiBlue New Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    Hi All,

Posted last Saturday about ability to fit roof bars to an A3 Sportback with the open sky system. Very nearly went ahead with a 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro Sport, but in the end decided against it. The boot on the Quattro is just too small (didn't help that Audi mucked me about over a part-ex value for my current car either!).

My question is, how pratical do you find the Sportback. It's very easy to look at the boot etc in the showroom and think - "that'll be fine" - but how have people actaully found them? We've got a 4 year old with another on the way, so for the next few years we'll be lugging prams etc. with us. Logic tells me to get a bigger car, but, I just want an A3.

Thanks,

Dave
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. lil_coz

lil_coz Active Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    It depends what you'll be doing with it I suppose. Yes the quattro boot is shallower but it's fine with me because I dont carry many things too often. I can put in 2 golf bags in my boot (granted you have to take the drivers out but still...). I suppose having two kids, quattro is a no no!

I had a FWD sportback a couple of times and I'd say that it should be fine. I found the boot to be quite big and it should swallow up a couple of prams. Try and get a weekend test drive. That should give you a clearer picture.

Coss
  4. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    I found a strange thing a few years back. I found it easier to get a baby & seat into my old 3 door A3 than other 4 door cars. I was the way the seat hinged forward that gave me plenty of space that I didnt get on a 4 door. The gf's pram/s fitted fine in the boot too.
  5. p1tse

p1tse Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    has anyone got a picture of the boot on a sportback for quattro and non-quattro, or is there a picture diagram as found on magazine reviews etc. online?
  6. nin

nin New Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    We were in the same position as yourself wondering whether to go larger or not from our golf.

We have a 3 year old and plan to have another soon, we decided to go for the sportback and am surprised at how much more room there is inside compared to the mkiv golf, the boot is also bigger and alot more deeper, it is however a 2wd and not a quattro.
  7. DaiBlue

DaiBlue New Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    My wifes got a Mark V Golf, but it will be interesting to see how much bigger the Sportback seems in practical use. As someone mentioned will have to get a weekend test drive.

Just can't bring myself to look at an A4 or 3-series.
  8. Paul_c

Paul_c Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    I frequently use (for want of a better word) the boot in my FWD sportback and i'm yet to be found wanting!
    We had an a4 saloon before this and i find the A3 just as good, i'd
    maybe say better- especially with wider load angle of a hatch.
  9. 10blazin

10blazin HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

[Mar 13, 2009]
    i got a sportback qauttro and struggled to get one pram in,, so we sold it and got another with now fits in diagnolly apart from that its ok,you can get your shopping in 2 even with the trolly in but before you bye a trolley id try it first aswell kiddy seats are a bit of a struggle to get in and out so i got a fixed seat which is much better
  10. emzino

emzino Active Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    I'm extremely surprised at the room I have in my 3dr A3.

I find it more spacious inside i.e. foot/leg space compared to a 5dr MK4 Golf! + the boot space is much more than I expected.
  11. martyboy

martyboy Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    me and the missus are expecting our first little bundle of joy in august, which was one of the main factors i went for the sportback rather than just the 2 doors. thought getting baby in and out of car seat in the back would be easier with the back doors. as for the boot, i think it is plenty big, i went and bought our pram with all the bumf that comes with it, all in boxes may i add, and it fitted in my boot no probs! :thumbsup:
  12. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    My A3 is the first practical car i've had in years. Must be my age! (I'm 30 this year) I kinda like it but its boring too. TT roaster next so i cant give anyone lifts!
  13. p1tse

p1tse Member

[Mar 13, 2009]
    be interesting to see some boot being filled with stuff, quattro or non quattro
  14. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[Apr 19, 2009]
    Do what I did and rock up to the dealer with all the stuff you think you'll need to put in the boot. If it only just fits in, it's too small - you can guarantee you've forgotten something!!!!

Dealer wasn't too happy about me wanting to try my bike in the back though, even though it was clean!!
  15. I'mRonBurgundy?

I'mRonBurgundy? Lets make that kitten purr...

[Apr 20, 2009]
    Mate of mine has two kids and an A4 Avant. He's consistently complaining about the lack of space and thinking of moving up to and A6 Avant.

My 3-door has plenty of room (only me and the GF though) but I reckon we'd cope alright with a baby/small child.
  16. gixxer600k4

gixxer600k4 Member

[Apr 20, 2009]
    my a3 has loads of room, but that because i rarely take people or luggage, if you have two kids and you know you will end up carrying a lot of luggage, i would say go for the a4 avant or even the a6, yea its a bit more, but will last you a lot longer cos when kids grow up n you all go on hold n things like that, you will defo have the room in the a6, could even go for the rs6 avant, lol!
  17. PNH80

PNH80 Low life livin' the high life.

[Apr 20, 2009]
    I can't comment on the sportback but my 3 door is brilliant for leg space in the back. Better than a lot of hatchbacks i've tried.
    However most people find getting in and out of the back a complete pain in the arse and i'm sick of people scuffing the interior with their feet!
    If i had people regularly using the back seats i'd definitely shop it in for a 5 door.