1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How poor is the symphony II headunit?

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by imported_MattT, Aug 20, 2004.

1. imported_MattT

imported_MattT Guest

I thought I would be able to handle not having a good sounding stereo in the S3 compared to my Golf Rallye, but ive only had the car 3 weeks and its annoying me already. Whatever mods im doing to this car I am trying to make replaceable with the original gear or if not at least nothing sticking out a mile.

With that said I want to know if it is worth just replacing the speakers in my S3 and keeping the headunit? What part of the system is mostly to blame for the poor bass and sound definition? I really don't want to replace the double dinn headunit if possible but is it actualy worth putting some half decent components in using the existing headunit?

Failing that how much is the BOSE upgrade and does that require a new headunit? Im not looking for a perfect sound, just something a bit crisper then ive got at the moment. Ive still got my Phoenix Gold anp and 12" Rocky sub from my old car, but im reluctant to put them in somewhere as I would obviously have to fix them in somehow and it would increase the weight again.

Ive thought about running all the speakers off my phoenix gold amp, but that means re-wiring the car, and when I come to sell it I want it pretty much standard which will mean re-wiring the speakers back to the headunit.

Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
  2. foolish3uk

foolish3uk Member

parts for a bose upgrade are on ebay at the moment starting bid is £225.00 you can recoded the radio for bose sound but i advise keeping what you have got and changing the head unit but i dont know if there are adapters for twin din yet
  3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Don't upgrade to Bose, it's pretty much impossible to do. All the wiring will have to be changed along with the speakers, sub and recoded HU.
    All you really need to do is pay about £120 for a really good set of front speakers, and £300 for one of my stealth subs (custom enclosure, JL Audio sub, Alpine V12 amp & wiring), both will work with the standard HU.
    The lack of bass seems to be inherent to the car as even upgrading all speakers and running off a decent HU via decent amp still fails to deliver any significant bass, so a sub is definately required, and with my stealth sub you won't be losing boot space or advertising the upgrade.
    New front speakers are crucial and these can either run off the HU or via the sub amp depending on preference.
    Let me know if you want more info, or do a search on A3 sub woofer in this section.
    Cheers, Andy
  4. AndyMac

Sorry that should have been A3/S3 section.
    Here's the installation manual (PDF) attached, which has quite a few pictures.
  5. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

talk about an amazing piece of work there ^^

hats off to you Andy, thats one of the best 'non-official' manuals i've ever seen

as im yet to get my A3 in pieces im sure it will prove invaluable

do you know anyone in the west mids area who has one of your subs and would possibly give me a demo? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  6. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Dean_T said:
    talk about an amazing piece of work there ^^

hats off to you Andy, thats one of the best 'non-official' manuals i've ever seen

as im yet to get my A3 in pieces im sure it will prove invaluable

do you know anyone in the west mids area who has one of your subs and would possibly give me a demo? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Chap called Revdup has this setup on this forum, and he's not too far away from me in Birmingham. I was suppose to have a small demo from him aswell, but never got around it, as I'm tempted too. He's in the process of selling his car though, so not sure if he still has it. Maybe we should have an Andymac bose upgrade meet lol.
  7. imported_MattT

imported_MattT Guest

Yeah, thanks for the info Andy, I will have to have a think
  8. imported_MattT

imported_MattT Guest

Could I use a decent set of mid-bass speakers like the MBQ-RCE164 to give me a bit more bass as im not too keen on going the sub root? Are so called 'mid-bass' speakers going to give you anymore bass then a set of components?

Could I replace the tweeters seperately if I used a set of these mid-bass coaxials?

What size are the speakers in the front and back of the car?

Thanks again for the help.

Matt
  9. imported_MattT

imported_MattT Guest

Thanks S3tony
  10. S3tony

S3tony Member

[ QUOTE ]
    MattT said:
    Thanks S3tony

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  11. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I've got to give it to ya Andymac, just had a small demo of the Andymac Bose upgrade from a chap called Revdup. It's truly amazing how a 6" sub can sound so tight and clear, especially running off the standard headunit, total quality man! It's time I need to save some pennies for this future upgrade, and I NEED the boot space, just in case anyone thinks I should go for a seperate amp and sub.
  12. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

jojo, i wouldnt mind a listen when you get it mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  13. blackwood

blackwood Member

Hi All,If any of you boys are near scarborough anytime you can check out my macsub.I'm running an A3 tdi with Symphony head unit,I upgraded to Kenwood 13cm components in the front,one of Andymac's stealth subs with his amp kit and a pair of Kenwood rear speakers,fitted it all in a day(piece of cake using Andy's comprehensive instructions) and the difference is unbelievable...For the money I can't recommend it highly enough..I heard a bose system,it's just overpriced,overrated ****(in my opinion).If you care about what you listen to,this is the way to go,and as I said I'll be pleased to give anyone a demo...
    Regards Blackwood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  14. AndyMac

Hey JoJo/Blackwood/Revdup, thanks for the feedback.
    It's good to hear from satisfied customers.
    Thanks, Andy
  15. imported_apcourtenay

imported_apcourtenay Guest

hey guys how much are the stealth subs then and do they go in the a4 avant?
  16. AndyMac

Pricing depends on your setup (£80 for the enclosure, £85 for the sub, then various Alpine amp options depending on requirements, but you do need an additional amp 200wrms), but no I haven't done one for the A4 as there are other options already available from Auto Acoustics and others.
    At the time there was nothing available for the A3, and I still don't think there are any off the shelf solutions, which was why I set about doing my own for my own A3.
    Auto Acoustics A4 Stealth Sub
  17. imported_apcourtenay

imported_apcourtenay Guest

Thanks for your advice.

My car is completely standard (no bose system even) what would you advise doing, I will only probably spend about £200-£250 tops as i'm a poor student!!

Thanks, Adam
  18. imported_cocain

imported_cocain Guest

Not being funny but the Macsub in an A4 Avant? I only got one because of the boot space in the A3 and it sounds wicked for something that I could not see and fits in that small space, but if I had an A4 not even an avant I'd have a 10 or 12" sub in there. which are just as cheap on ebay. Maybe you must really need that boot space so excuse me if you do.
  19. AndyMac

As a student you shouldn't have anything that requires all your boot space (unless you're a drummer in a band), so I'd get a 10" sub/enclosure off ebay along with a decent amp. You should easily be able to get that combination for £250.
    Anything stealthy is always going to be more expensive than normal kit, those Auto Acoustics boxes aren't cheap, probably cost £200 including the woofer.