1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How over-the-top are main dealer used prices for S3s?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ratbag, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ratbag

ratbag New Member

On Saturday I'm going to look at an S3 at a main dealer. It's done ~2000 miles, belonged to VW-Audi group internally, registered at the start of this year and with a pretty good spec (Sprint Blue SB, S-tronic, AMI, Bose, adaptive lights, magnetic, cruise, DVD satnav, light and rain, phone prep low, heated steering wheel, roof rails - basically the exact spec I want, but today rather than 5 months from now...).

They want 32k for it and I'm finding it difficult to get a feel for what the price should be, since Parker's etc. only get interested when the car is about 10 months old. If it was a private sale it would be well under 30k, I suspect, low mileage notwithstanding.

Any help would be appreciated. Now back to detailing my MINI to within an inch of its life.

Rob.
  2. edition

edition Active Member

I will let the others give you an indication on price but I would be questioning what the car has been doing beloning to VW-Audi group.....

Press car? Loan Car? Company car?
  3. AshG

AshG New Member

Heated steering wheel eh? Thats worth 32k alone! Is it 3d or 5d?

I ordered my new S3 BE SB S-Tronic which is to be delivered in September as a 60 plate. It's Phantom Black with FTWI, Adaptive and high beam assist, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Tech Pack and First Aid Kit (the missus's idea!) - I got that for 31k.

Now if it has been within the group I would suggest you could knock quite a lot off it as they bought it cheap and its not as if its a part exchange where they need to make some money on?
  4. ratbag

ratbag New Member

They gave me a spiel about it being used effectively as a company car for someone within the wider group. No way to verify it, I guess.
  5. ratbag

ratbag New Member

SB. The steering wheel piqued my curiosity as well! Not an option I knew existed and certainly not one that I'd want. Cooled wheel and seats would be much more useful gadgets.
  6. Ads

Ads License to drive

2000 miles of pure unadulterated hammering I bet, many times from a cold start. A free S3, only to be kept for a few months.... I know I would.
  7. edition

edition Active Member

That was my thoughts on it Aythreee....

I mean if you onl keep it in warrenty I guess it's not an issue.....

I guess tyre and brake condition might tell you whats what....
  8. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

It's obviously been spec'd up by Audi for some reason. The heated steering wheel is an option in some countries but not in the UK. Audi do sell quite a number of various models that they have had for their own use through dealers. It's quite normal.

Personally I would much rather buy a car of that sort of price through a dealer than a private sale. If it's a private sale there is always the possibility it's been stolen!
  9. edition

edition Active Member

Dave, there are pros and cons of buy from either.....

If it's a one owner car that you can go and see where it's lived and what the owner is like, I think it can be a positive especially as you know if anything is wrong it's under warrenty anyway! You can check that it's not stolen before parting with your dosh.

The only issue with a 2k S3 car is that it's the kind of car that could see abuse.......
  10. Ads

Ads License to drive

Yeah I agree. A privately owned car, and especially one that costs £30k, will more than likely looked after by the owner. Whereas a £30k high performance car given to someone gratis for a few months.... caned!

Example: My boss comes up to me and gives me a brand new S3......

I drive slowly away from building until out of site, then.....

........it's revved to death, from every set of traffic lights, everytime. Even when up against Vauxhall Novas.
  11. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

ive found dealership prices for the s3 on afverage to be 2-4k over to book value regardless of age condition and spec, id offer them no more than 30k for it
  12. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

True, but on a second-hand car that's only a starting point!!

I used to work with a lady who's husband used to regularly purchased second-hand cars direct from Audi and he never had any problems. All were very low mileage and less than a year old.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  13. jsws3

jsws3 Member

warning 192 will have his ibis s3 sport back up for sale soon might be worth a look at as its in mint condition .
  14. andykn

andykn Member

Dealers often seem to charge a premium for nearly new cars, too many people not prepared to wait.
  15. ratbag

ratbag New Member

Thanks for all your input. I've cancelled the test drive. They wouldn't budge more than a few hundred. If anyone else wants to look at it, it's at Hatfield.
  16. consilio

consilio Up the owls!

I'll have mine for sale soon if you're interested. PM me