How optimistic is this dyno!

viceroy

Reaction score
I recently put my car onto the dyno as part of the qualifying round of our interclub competition called the Michelin Cup.

My car is a B8 3.0 TDI Quattro tiptronic.
Mods are:
- Revo Stage 2
- DPF delete
- Turbo-back exhaust (no mufflers)
- Larger FMIC
- Cone filter
- Devils Own Stage 2 Water Meth with a D7 nozzle engaging at 0.3bar and maxxing at 1.0bar

And these are the results:
815F44E4-CA2F-4399-B427-EC20D85A3615_zps3y9flpcr.jpg

I feel the power shown is about 15 to 20bhp optimistic.

What do you guys think?
a Stage 2+ 8P S3 made 359bhp
a Stage 2+ TTS running giggle juice (octane booster) made 371bhp
a B8 S4 with full intake and exhaust made 429bhp

The three cars above are all friends of mine, so I know the cars well.

As a comparison, the S3 and I run pretty much even on the highway with him slowly pulling away (weight advantage)

S3 and tts seem bang on the money. My revo 2+ S3 was 352bhp on 97ron fuel

The B8 would only make that power if running revo stage 1+ which has exhaust, intake, pulley and maps if I remember correctly.

Being tiptronic it will be slightly harder for the dyno computer to work out the drive train losses so is not going to be perfect

Slightly off topic...which car is quicker in acceleration,the 429bhp s4 or the stg2+ s3?

With a standard turbo you will be lucky to get over 330bhp with the water meth. It's definately overreading but as there are no drivetrain loss figures or other information it's difficult to say.
There appears to be a big difference between the two runs, the power outputs of the other cars sound a little exaggerated as well. Seems they have all gained a few % extra.

Karl.

Sorry for the late reply, but work really got in the way.

The S4 doesn't have a pulley.
Thing is, at this altitude, the S4's get no benefit from stage 1 software unless they have a pulley since the SC is already over working to compensate for the lower air pressure.

Straight pipes with no mufflers is very loud.

Torque is very nice indeed. Up around 700nm

The S4 is faster than the S3, and the TTS is faster than the S4.

The WMI in my car is quite an aggressive setup. D7 nozzle and I usually run a 70% meth mix. You can really feel the difference when you activate the switch, so it's definitely adding power, but I never would have expected 354hp overall. Maybe 335hp or there abouts.

The dyno operator admitted to me that he didn't floor it on the first run as he was worried it might jump forward. The second run he fed it in quicker, but still didn't give it 100% till about 2500 rpm

That's the main reason for the different graphs.

Reactions: jphc