1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How 'old' shold tyres be?

aidank1981 Aug 17, 2011

1. aidank1981

aidank1981 Member

Hello all!
    My current set of shoes have been on for 4 years... Haven't really done many miles, loads of tread left but do tyres deteriorate with age? Surely wear isn't the only factor?
    I've had one tyre blow out years ago and I dont want a repeat if I can help it!
    Am I just paranoid? Track day ta scrub them off?

2. beanoir

beanoir Large Member

Yes, tyres do deteriorate with age, although 4 years should be fine if you use it regularly. All tyres are dated with a week and year of manufacture, denoted by a 4 figure number on the tyre wall. So 0111 would be 1st week of 2011.

6 years is about what most would use as a benchmark age to start looking at replacing them, and something to know is that you're more likely to prolong the life of your tyre if you use the car regularly. A sign of a tyre suffering from age is cracking/crazing around the tyre wall.

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

6 years seems to be the industry recommendation, and ime most tyres start to show signs of age related degeneration by 6 years old (ie cracking in the rubber)

4. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Don't think I've ever had a tyre make it to 2 years old. Too many track days and too much spirited driving means I'm well known at my local tyre place. lol