1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How 'old' shold tyres be?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by aidank1981, Aug 17, 2011.

1. aidank1981

aidank1981 Member

Hello all!
    My current set of shoes have been on for 4 years... Haven't really done many miles, loads of tread left but do tyres deteriorate with age? Surely wear isn't the only factor?
    I've had one tyre blow out years ago and I dont want a repeat if I can help it!
    Am I just paranoid? Track day ta scrub them off?
  2. beanoir

beanoir Sharpest Tongue in the West

Yes, tyres do deteriorate with age, although 4 years should be fine if you use it regularly. All tyres are dated with a week and year of manufacture, denoted by a 4 figure number on the tyre wall. So 0111 would be 1st week of 2011.

6 years is about what most would use as a benchmark age to start looking at replacing them, and something to know is that you're more likely to prolong the life of your tyre if you use the car regularly. A sign of a tyre suffering from age is cracking/crazing around the tyre wall.
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

6 years seems to be the industry recommendation, and ime most tyres start to show signs of age related degeneration by 6 years old (ie cracking in the rubber)
  4. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Don't think I've ever had a tyre make it to 2 years old. Too many track days and too much spirited driving means I'm well known at my local tyre place. lol