How much...?

mdre83

Reaction score
I've owned two A3s and an A4 not so long ago. I changed for practicality reasons.I'm hopefully looking to order a new A3/S3 around the back end of this year, begining of next. I paid around £360 a month for the car(s)
I'm interested to see what kind of payments people are making on a monthly basis for there motor (include SPEC if possible)
Apoligies to thoughs who feel this is on a personal level however, all your help is appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsup:

I've owned two A3s and an A4 not so long ago. I changed for practicality reasons.I'm hopefully looking to order a new A3/S3 around the back end of this year, begining of next. I paid around £360 a month for the car(s)
I'm interested to see what kind of payments people are making on a monthly basis for there motor (include SPEC if possible)
Apoligies to thoughs who feel this is on a personal level however, all your help is appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsup:

S3, 33k
13k down
£630 a month

S3
Sprint Blue, Flat Bottom wheel, Elec lumbar, Folding mirrors, BOSE, Symphony, Light pack, Armrest, Cruise, Ipod adaptor, Sunband * Tracker
£28,500
£1,500 deposit
£602 per month (Inc Maintenance @ £53 which includes all tyres, tax, servicing and fluids) over 35 months
Final Payment of £11,200 if I want the car at the end of it all.

Worked out cheaper per month than a Audi A3 2.0 TFSI S-Line through the company car scheme, plus, I should get some money back at the end of it if I trade in for the next one as I'm sure it will be worth more than £11k.

Hope that helps.

urm, S3 28.5k, 1500 dep, maintenance plan, usual extras, 498 a month, give it back after 3 years

Crazy!!!!!!! the lot of ya!

17k down , 9 grand loan and the cars MINE so in 4 years or so and the cars worth ( rough guess ) 15k sell it and start again on a RS3

p

17k down + 9k loan = 26k
Sell for 15k in four years, thats a loss of 11k

Crazy!!!!!!! the lot of ya!

17k down , 9 grand loan and the cars MINE so in 4 years or so and the cars worth ( rough guess ) 15k sell it and start again on a RS3

p

I cant see it being worth 15k in four years.. Or am i being pessimistic?

I can't get my head around this.
Why would you put £13k down and pay £630 a month?
Why not keep the £13k and PCH an S3?
I bet you'd be able to lease one for less than £630 a month.

EDIT - just did a quick google search.
You can PCH an S3 for £440 a month
Usual 3 + 36 month deal.
They pay the roadtax every year as well.

I cant see it being worth 15k in four years.. Or am i being pessimistic?

I think £15k for a four year old S3 is way optimistic too.
Be lucky to get that for a three year old one, IMO.
And that's based on current fuel/tax costs too.
The way things are going, expensive to run cars like the S3 are going to depreciate worse than they do now.
I'd take a stab that you'd be lucky to get £10k-£11k for an S3, in four years time.

Horses for courses really - depends how you plan it all.

Working mine out:
Lets say after 3 years it still worth for arguments sake £17k:
The actual car costs me £549 a month over 35 months plus the £1500 deposit.
So, over the course of the 3 years I'll have paid £20,715.
My final fee is £11k
Get rid of it at £17k I have £6k in my pocket meaning overall cost of ownership is £14,715.
Or worse case my car is only worth £16k and total cost of onwership is then £15,715.

Where as Kontrabands deal has cost him a total £18,930 as I'm assuming he's on a lease, not a PCP and therefore hands the car back.

Phantom's is costing him £11k - £12k depending on what it's worth after 4 years and (correct me if I'm wrong here P) his was an approved used car, so was a little cheaper in the first place. And that isn't even factoring in any interest on his £9k loan, so may be closer to a toal cost of £13k in real terms.

Even the deal Bowfer pulled out is a basic car, so stick £3k's worth of options and it's getting up to £530 per month and depends on what the final payment is.

I don't know the full details of everyone's position, so this is based on assumptions - happy for kontraband and Phantom to prove me wrong on the sums.

It's a mine field out there -you need to take in to account the total cost of ownership over the period!!!

The way things are going, expensive to run cars like the S3 are going to depreciate worse than they do now.

That's a really good point actually, it'll be interesting to see how the market changes over teh next 18 months!

Well it all depends on your milage , and 15K was a " rough " figure based on a very good example with decent miles on the clock.

Ive done less then 2.5k miles in my 6 month of ownership , i bought the car with 6.5k on the clock , my cars coming up to a year old and it will have JUST over 9k on the clock.

If i do 6K a year and keep it for 3 more years it will have under 30k on the clock.

Your guess is as good as mine how much it'll be worth , but i recon between 13-15k for a mint low miler at private sale.

p

Working mine out:
Lets say after 3 years it still worth for arguments sake £17k:
The actual car costs me £549 a month over 35 months plus the £1500 deposit.
So, over the course of the 3 years I'll have paid £20,715.
My final fee is £11k
Get rid of it at £17k I have £6k in my pocket meaning overall cost of ownership is £14,715.
Or worse case my car is only worth £16k and total cost of onwership is then £15,715.

You're using a pretty narrow best case scenario (£17k) and worst case scenario (£16k) range there.
Both are based on more than 50% retained value.
Good luck!

out of interest you guys with lots of finance, do you have GAP insurance ? I hate paying more than £300 pm and over anything longer than 2 years.

You're using a pretty narrow best case scenario (£17k) and worst case scenario (£16k) range there.
Both are based on more than 50% retained value.
Good luck!

I agree - But I'm basing that on what current cars are advertised at on the audi used car locator - currently 56 and 07 plate S3's are still sitting at around £23.5 to £26k. There is even on 8L S3 on a Dec 2003 up at £15k.
I think right now that is relatively realistic, however, as said before given the current climate things may change drastically in the next 18 months - but then again, they may not as us brits seem happy to pay through the nose for everything nowadays!!!

We all know cars lose money, but one can lessen the impact.
Using the person who put £13k down and is paying £630 a month over 36 months.
So that's £35680.00 he's effectively paying for the car.

If you lease the car, you're looking at the following.
Say £500 a month for a 'loaded' car, with 3 + 35 payments.
38 x £500 = £19000.00
BUT, they will pay the roadtax, which is currently around £220(?) and rising to £300 for 2009/2010?
Then you'll earn around £500 a year on the £13k in the bank.
So you can effectively deduct £220+£300+£300+£1500 off the lease cost.
Which takes it down to £16680.00

So to score by buying it, rather than leasing it, this person would have to hope his three year old S3 is worth £35680.00 - £ 16680.00, which is £19000!!!!:scared2:

Lease wins.

It think the only cars that will take THE BIG HIT are your toy 4x4's peeps are moving away from them as we speak, cars like the S3/RS4/M3 , GTI , ect peeps will always buy them as they appeal to the 20-30 something male who wants a nice quick car , he may not have any kids he may even still live at home!

p

Ive done less then 2.5k miles in my 6 month of ownership , i bought the car with 6.5k on the clock , my cars coming up to a year old and it will have JUST over 9k on the clock.

p

Do you even drive that car!! LoL

Had mine 3months and its got 7k on :scared2:

We all know cars lose money, but one can lessen the impact.
Using the person who put £13k down and is paying £630 a month over 36 months.
So that's £35680.00 he's effectively paying for the car.

If you lease the car, you're looking at the following.
Say £500 a month for a 'loaded' car, with 3 + 35 payments.
38 x £500 = £19000.00
BUT, they will pay the roadtax, which is currently around £220(?) and rising to £300 for 2009/2010?
Then you'll earn around £500 a year on the £13k in the bank.
So you can effectively deduct £220+£300+£300+£1500 off the lease cost.
Which takes it down to £16680.00

So to score by buying it, rather than leasing it, this person would have to hope his three year old S3 is worth £35680.00 - £ 16680.00, which is £19000!!!!:scared2:

Lease wins.

I agree with you completely, there are ways to make it more cost effective, it's why I went the way I did with a PCP.

Looking at your lease example - let's say that fully loaded S3 was £30k from the delaer.
The lease company has has £19,000 less 2 x road tax at £300 paid to them so the car owes them £11,600 - that is going to be there worse case figure, as they are not going to put themselves in a loss making position.
I think realistic re-sale value for 3 year old well kept, average mileage cars will be over £15k.

Do you even drive that car!! LoL

Had mine 3months and its got 7k on :scared2:

Yep and it's all fun fun fun drives , i have a scabby work horse rack the miles up on!

Theres also some places that i frequent that i wouldn't drive a S3 never mind leave one parked :huh: " wheres the car i'm sure i parked it here "

p

It think the only cars that will take THE BIG HIT are your toy 4x4's peeps are moving away from them as we speak, cars like the S3/RS4/M3 , GTI , ect peeps will always buy them as they appeal to the 20-30 something male who wants a nice quick car , he may not have any kids he may even still live at home!

p

Not at the moment they're not. All the decent spec ML's for example are flying off the forecourts at the moment (the ones that are realisticly priced!) The amount of 6 month old ML's I chased that had been sold within days was unreal. I just assumed that I would be able to take my time and pick and choose. I'd see one on the MB site on monday, enquire about it on the tuesday or wednesday only to be told it had gone.

J.

57 Plate S3 - (Was around 30.5K new)
4months old with 3.5K miles

Paid 25K cash, 15K from piggy bank+10K personal loan (without ins,) 36 months @ £310 per month.

Excluding tax, servicing etc, car will stand me £25,836 over 36 months, so interest over the period is small in relative terms.

No doubt I will take a big depreciation hit like the rest of us.

I wouldnt usualy spend this much on a car but it was an S3 I wanted and that what they cost !
Exactly how big the `hit` is will dictate whether I spend this much again in the future!

For now Im just enjoying car. Because thats why I bought it. Resale is out of my hands so its not something Im thinking too much about.

cheers
Paul

Just been told the S3 is depreciating by £400 per month (audi main dealer quote) interesting

Shame the cars in their used car locater don't reflect that!
There are Jan 2007 cars up for £25k still. Considering the first 12 months are supposted to be where you take the big hit!
I'm assuming they base that off the basic price? Or is it the actual purchase price?

I am currently looking to sell mine, buy back from Audi £23500 but they dont want it as they have some in stock, he suggested privately about £24000 (this assumes that someone is willing to pay that of course)
Due to oil prices my best guess would be 3 years old about £13/14000.4 years old £9/10,000
But who knows

I can't get my head around this.
Why would you put £13k down and pay £630 a month?
Why not keep the £13k and PCH an S3?
I bet you'd be able to lease one for less than £630 a month.

EDIT - just did a quick google search.
You can PCH an S3 for £440 a month
Usual 3 + 36 month deal.
They pay the roadtax every year as well.

Would that be cheaper in the long run?

I would have put a lot more down, but I wanted to keep plenty of cash knocking about for a potential property purchase. I'm not a big fan of debt so I borrowed 20k over the shortest period they allowed, which was 3 years.

EDIT - just read the example you did, it is!, what I don't understand then, is how do they make money on the PCH? Compared to buying it outright and PCH there isn't really any difference in price! You can't borrow money for free, especially nowadays!

I think £15k for a four year old S3 is way optimistic too.
Be lucky to get that for a three year old one, IMO.
And that's based on current fuel/tax costs too.
I'd take a stab that you'd be lucky to get £10k-£11k for an S3, in four years time.

Don't think it'll be quite that bad, but not far off.

I bought my old A3 2.0FSI (loved the car, crap engine though!) for 19.5k and sold it for £9300 after 4 years and 60,000 miles. So I lost just over half.

Shame the cars in their used car locater don't reflect that!
There are Jan 2007 cars up for £25k still. Considering the first 12 months are supposted to be where you take the big hit!
I'm assuming they base that off the basic price? Or is it the actual purchase price?

I never asked how they got that figure mine was £28500 new sept 57 reg 6000miles worth £23500 now, if i could sell it back to audi (no p/ex)

Spec as per my sig minus RNS-E, Bluefin etc. Price was around £22k.

£1k deposit and then £429 a month with contract mileage over the 36 months of 75k.

Final payment of £9700 if I want to own it at the end of the term.

SteveTDCi - yes I have GAP insurance - Audi knocked the price down to £225 for the 3 years cover return to invoice when I went in with some Internet quotes.

Surely a three year old S3 (well spec'd, good condition etc) will be worth more than the 14-15k thats being talked about here?

I sold my three year old Golf R32 privately for 15k a year ago to purchase my S3. The R32 was 22600 new, so for a 32k S3 I'd expect atleast 17-18k at three years old, private sale of course.

That's my thinking to gtijames - and why i've based my calculations on a £16-17k sale after the 3 years. But Bowfer has a point - with the current green issues depriciation may become a little more severe!
Basically, when I took mine out I based my sums on it returning £16K, anything over that is a bonus for me!
I guess I'll find out when I come to change at the start of 2010!!!