1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much have people spent on mods????

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by garyburton29, Mar 30, 2010.

1. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

This is a subject my friends and I have discussions about quite reguarly. There is no right or wrong answer, everybody is entited to their own opinion and everybody has their own views. I have spent ALOT of money on my car (SO FAR :readit:), in the space of 2 years that I have owned it.

I suppose I mod my car for a number of reasons. The number one being I'm a massive petrol head, so I love cars. But the main reason I'd say is because I love improving the car, and bringing it up to a standard that I fee is acceptable and necessary. Modding is good in the long run I feel because it keeps the love going, as opposed to you getting bored of the car.

The arguement I have is, say you buy a £10k car then spend £10k on it, your at £20k. But even then, I'd still have to mod the £20k car, unless I step onto the Gallardo LP560 level, I'll always tinker with cars. But then if I had gallardo papes, I'd be gettin a heffner twin turbo conversion lmfao.

Modding is very addictive and a very expensive game.
  2. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

Oh dear Paddy...You really do have it in for subaru's:no:
    I would be buying ( IF I DO ) a WR1/P1 etc...Something Ltd edition that will hold the value over the likes of a wrx etc:idea:
  3. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

Well said N8:icon_thumright:

I realise that if you spend £10k on mods you won't get the £10k back if and when you sell the car....I was just throwing a few ideas around to see if i can get that certain feeling I got when I first bought the car
  4. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Quick tot up says I've spend about £5k on mods and bits since buying the car. As it cost £31.3k I don't think that is an unreasonable bung to get over 350bhp from 260bhp.

£1k was wasted on that bloody MTM map grrrr.
  5. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

You live once, who cares? Money gets earnt to get spent, simples.
  6. 4NT

4NT Terminal Douche Bag!

I'm with 1wheelonly, to get your speed kicks and not spend crazy amounts of money on the V6, go down the bike route, and it doesn't need to be a full on hyper bike either, most cars feel slow after running bikes.

But it if it has to be 4 wheels, S3 any day over the Imprezza / taxi on steroids....

Decissions decissions, noce position to be in though! :icon_thumright:
  7. One Spoke

One Spoke Member

I was fortunate enough to have access to an Evo VI for a year last year with 360bhp. Damn it was quick and handled superbly, but what a horrible car! Squeaks, rattles and naff interior. It was fantastic for having a blat in but I wouldn't want to commute in it every day to work (especially as you could easily get the mpg down to about 10 mpg if you drove it hard). My S3 is a much nicer place to be, but at 265 bhp (for now :)) it is quick but not in the Evo league. I would also have an Evo over an Impreza as well, I think they are more focused.

An Evo as a 2nd car would be ideal, but I can't afford to run 2 cars. The Evo is great for the few minutes at a time when you can drive it hard, but when you're just going from A to B, I'd far rather be in my S3.

But hey, if you have to get the rice burner out of your system, go for it.
  8. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Evos are just pure 100% speed, you are buying an engine and nothing else.
  9. One Spoke

One Spoke Member

My point exactly. With an S3 you get most of the engine but everything else lol
  10. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Hence the term. JAP ****.
  11. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

theres a philosiphy for life
  12. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Its the truth! My girlfriends cousin died 2 weeks ago at the age of 28! Life is too short.
  13. evocos

evocos Member

Mate you know me well,and how much i love speed and audi and dubs.
    I know that was meant in jest,but evo's are an amazing car,with a few mods,point to point they are
    one of the fastest cars on the road.Its just a shame about the boy racer stigma.
    Defo better than a scooby,i have many times considered another one but only as a 2nd car for fun.
    I would always want an audi :icon_thumright:
  14. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Evos are designed for one thing only speed. Thats it.
  15. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

Your right mate...

guys are saying get an S3....Ok so I put the £10k and my car for an S3. Probably mine for px could fetch £7500 - £8500. So let's say I could get an S3 for £18k which would be a 2006/7 model. Then to get extra power out of it I would need to spend more.....

With my car...It's a 2005 3.2 DSG....Good solid car. With getting the TURBO conversion at JBS for £8250 plus other parts say £3k. I've still got a car that's producing 380bhp 360 lb-ft.
    Now that power delivery through a DSG I think would be quite good....How much would it cost to get 380 bhp out of an S3???????

So what I'm saying is that my car with that power having spent £11k on it would only be 2 yrs older than an S3 i could get...
  16. Muneeb S3

Muneeb S3 Member

I think Stage 2+ which is around 370BHP would cost around £3500????
  17. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

I would of thought that the V6 would of been a good base engine for the turbo conversion
    . Wouldn't a V6 be more stronger than a 2.0 4cyl that's in the S3 to cope with 370/380bhp????????
    Plus I've got less chance of my car getting stolen than if I owned an S3
  18. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

I wonder what they use on the S4 3ltr turbo..
  19. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

328bhp & 325 lb ft. 0-60 4.9secs
    3.2 Turbo conversion 380bhp 360lb-ft 0-60 5.0secs
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  20. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

As mentioned to get 380 bhp out of an s3 is a good stg2+ only and thats 3.5K max! compared to over 11k on your car. And thats using standard pistons/rods not intended for a boosted engine compared to the S3's internals which are uprated.
  21. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

:faint: Think I need to forget the idea then....
  22. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

I heard V6 internals are strong for 400bhp, who knows.
  23. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

Well all the lads on the R32 website are happy with their turbo conversions and no known blown engines as of yet...!!!!
  24. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Thats what I'm saying! I understand where you are coming from though! V6 turbo would be nuts!
  25. V6Pete

V6Pete Now running on Bentley's y'all

There's a lot of comments on here about Audi interiors. Great. It all depends on what you're looking for in a car.

I had a VX220 Turbo for a while. Build quality was very very different from an Audi to say the least... but as a car to drive, it was like chalk and cheese. However much cash you spend on an A3, it will never handle and involve like a more performance orientated car.

VX220's, Elises etc. are a tricky proposition for a daily driver, but a quick Subaru or an Evo will put a smile on your face than an A3/S3 never will.

If you want great build quality, and ambient lighting is what rocks you, then buy an Audi. But if you can live with a bit of rattle n squeak, and crappy plastic, then there are a lot of cars out there that will be considerably more fun to own.
  26. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

Exactly...:icon_thumright:
  27. V6Pete

It is the nuts, but just buy a f*cking S4 or an RS4 where the engine is designed to have some turbos on it... they handle better too!
  28. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

That's why I'm thinking of the Turbo conversion to get the best of both worlds...Plus the car wouldn't stick out like an S3 or Subaru to get stolen...!!!!!!!!!!!
  29. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

Been thinking about those as well but I really would like to do something with my car... Not seen many A3 3.2 turbo's about
  30. V6Pete

You're not in the North West are you? That's where all the thefts seem to be...

I reckon a turbo 3.2 would be a hoot. But £8K? It makes no sense. When you're bored with the car, you won't get a penny of the £8K back.

At least buying something quicker to start with, when you want to sell on, you'll get much more of your cash back. It all depends whether you can afford to ***** £8K away, or if you'd be better to spend that moving up the "car ladder"...
  31. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

Maybe he has a point but i doubt that 5 sec or 6 sec will be really noticeable to 60mph... i had a blast against a TT diesel the other day and up to 120mph he was right with me...The point is that on the road a second here or there dosnt make any difference. Its just not enough to make a real impression on what your trying to beat :) like a subaru...
  32. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

Surrey area i live in so I don't know if S3's and Impreza's are getting stolen alot in Suurey....

I was unfortunate/forunate to get injured in Iraq which ever way you want to look at it, and have just been paid out quite abit of money for my injury so basically I have £10k - £12k spere that won't be missed...But I'm just looking at different ways of either doing something to my car or buying an Impreza etc...If I did move away from Audi I definatley would be back to them...
    The problem is now I have with my car is that I'm bored with it....Just exploring different things now....I'm sure with the turbo conversion it would bring a smile back to my face....
    I do realise that if I spent about £12k on my car I wouldn't get any of it back...but that's not the point to me...I would be keeping if for a very long time if the conversion went ahead.....
    I've been reading that guys spend £15k+ on cars and don't stop there either....
    I've had my car now for 18 months and is rock solid....Just need that smile back from when I first drove it....Mind you it might be cheaper to just put a Miltek on it to get the throaty sound...Job done:icon_thumright:
  33. garyburton29

garyburton29 Member

I know mate but listening to the whistle of the turbo and the V6 sound would be enough for me:)