1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many wheel bearings?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by bacardi, Jan 24, 2007.

1. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[Jan 24, 2007]
    Just had my car returned from its second service (37k) and been told by the garage (after the collected the wrong car from our offices - don't ask!) that it needs new front wheel bearings, thing is, its already had the front left side and both rears replaced, now it needs two more front ones!!!

Anyone else had problems?

This is on top of the new steering rack, new drivers seat, new parcel shelf and other minor interior rattles
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 26, 2015]

3. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Jan 24, 2007]
    i had an audi dedicated technician out a while ago and i cant remember how we got on to the subject but he said the wheel bearings on these cars never wear out - he reckoned the car would be scrapped well before they wore out?????
  4. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 25, 2007]
    Cant really comment on an 8p but when the bearings on my 8l went they really went, making alot of noise all of a sudden, and ruining both the hubs with them.

I've heard of cars running through wheel bearings in about 4k if the job isnt done properly - i'd be askin the last garage to cough up, the part will be warrantied in some way
  5. wilko

wilko Top Gear

[Jan 25, 2007]
    I had one of my front wheel bearing replaced at about <13k so I wouldn't worry too much!
  6. simch

simch Active Member

[Jan 25, 2007]
    Could it be tyre noise, ? I had an A3 sportback TDI170 in germany as a rental last week and it had crazy tyre noise form its Avon CR38s, (sort of winter tyre/sport tyre hybrid I think).
    But Dunlop 9000s are notorious for being noisey as a noisy thing too!

Worth checking to see if you brand of tyres has a rep for being a bit whirry/whiny? Could be simple as that!
  7. HeliChris

HeliChris Learning to fly 3D

[Jan 25, 2007]
    Are you running any wheel spacers / bigger wheels or is your setup factory?

Changing the offset of the wheel increases the load on the wheel bearings, which is normaly no problem, but if the A3 is using a bearing close to it's limit then this could be pushing it over the edge.

Don't get me started on bearing quality ;-)

Chris.
  8. wilko

wilko Top Gear

[Jan 25, 2007]
    When mine was replaced they said there were no Audi one's available so they rang the local VW dealer and got me one from a Golf - apparently the same, i'd guessed they were. Hasn't been a problem since. Maybe I should replace everything with VW bits!!!
  9. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[Jan 25, 2007]
    cheers for the responses folks,

I've tried the new tyre thing, lease company were happy to replace them in case but even with 4 new tyres the noice is awful, the thing is the dealer actually says they need replacing, so I guess they know they are worn

Just really can't believe it will have had 9 bearings in 37k!! totally standard car too, even if I do corner a little hard, surely it should cope with it?
  10. HeliChris

HeliChris Learning to fly 3D

[Jan 25, 2007]
    If the car is standard it's got the be either the fitting method, or another problem (hub or axle). Wheel bearings should last a lot longer.
  11. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[May 4, 2007]
    Jeeeeees

Just collected the car from the garage ,two more wheel bearings!

Honestly, this car is an absolute bag of nails, cannot believe that it can be so ropy, Audi HQ are all appologetic and "yes sir thats not good is it" but nothing else - 7 replacement wheel bearings!!

to top it all the garage must have washed it with sandpaper as the drivers wing is scratched beyond belief, "as a gesture of good will we will polish it for you sir" was the response - same as they said after their sister dealership in london scratched the bonnet!

Unbelievable
  12. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[May 5, 2007]
    Scratched wing - you know what this is don't you? I had the same thing happen to me. They put big heavy rubber mats over the wings to 'ahem' protect them from getting scratched, unfortunately what the thick shits don't think about is the fact that the big heavy rubber mats and the dust/grit which will already be on the wing (unless just washed) will have a great fun together scratching the paint. Scary people at garages they have absolutely no sense.
  13. Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32 Member

[May 5, 2007]
    Oh yes, thats GOT to be what happened! All Audi Centres replace Wheel Bearings from inside the Engine bay :eek:
  14. normski

normski Member

[May 5, 2007]
    So are Audi saying these are a consumable and not covered by warranty?
  15. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[May 5, 2007]
    naah, its all covered by warranty so thats not a problem, just cant understand why it would need so many, i do drive it hard but that can't be why!!

Think the dealer scratched the wing while "washing" it, though they must have used a brillo pad!
  16. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[Sep 9, 2007]
    Another update on this

It needs 3 more wheel bearings!

Anyone else had anything near this?
  17. stevehsv868

stevehsv868 Unofficial Audi UK Endurance Test Driver

[Sep 10, 2007]
    Hello

yes ive had both front wheel bearings replaced on my 2.0 TDI DSG A3 2006 55 reg with 30K on the clock

they replaced one wheel bearing and the noise was still there, booked the car in again, and they haddent got the parts, ive had to wait a week as the wheel bearings were on backorder from the factory in germany

so that makes me think lost of A3's are having the wheel bearings replaced