How many miles is just too many miles?

Thom Yorke

Reaction score
I've been searching around online for weeks looking at A3 TDI's. I'm really tempted to get a 2003 - 2004 model, and I go through the stages of whether or not I would be happy with a high mileage car. At best i do between 6,000 - 9,000 miles a year, so if I keep the car for 3-4 years then I'd only be adding 18,000 (min) - 36,000 (max) to the total mileage.

So am I right to put myself off a diesel with around 100,000 - 110,000 miles? It is a lot of money for me right now but I think it would be a good purchase until I am qualified and earn the big bucks to buy a brand new Audi!

I know that these engines are engineered to the best standard, but what sort of things can occur after the 100,000 mark?

Any input appreciated :)

What you have to remember is the whole car has done the miles, not just the engine. The suspension and bushes will need attention, brake discs will need changing if not done so, the interior will show signs of wear in certian places etc etc. If you can put up with these things then a high mile car is a good buy. It all depends on how those miles have been applied to the car and what service life the car has been subjected too...

I've got a 2.0 tdi with 112,000 on clock...it's been a B**CH to sell!! Engine mounts are common, you'll have to change the cambelt at 120 marks well...

I personal wouldnt have a car with high miles because im just odd like that. I wanted to sell mine when it got to 60k lol!
If a car has been well maintained then 100k is nothing. I'm not sure 100% sure on what could happen.
But if the car not well looked after alot of thing could go like turbo, clutch, bushes etc. Its up to you really if you dont mind having a car with high miles then get it. If you do then wait abit longer and save a bit more to get a car with lower miles.

Last edited:
The thing you need to remember if you are doing less than average mileage then by the time you sell it will be probably still below mileage for its age.

I would rather have a car thats been looked after and bombed up and down a motorway for 120K than one thats done 40K pootling to the shops and back barely getting warm etc, also due to the fantastic variable servicing the low mileage on may only have had 2 services in it's time, so could be due al sorts due to age, rather than mileage. The high miler will prob have had it's services done on time and regardless of cost due to the driver/owner prob not fitting the bill

yea it all comes down to how it's been maintained, really up to yourself mate

My Car is on 67000 but is driven only on weekends, garaged in the week but started every other day to keep things moving in the engine!!

I know this is not ideal as im someone will be point out but prob in 3 years time i might have done 20000 so for the year the car will still be in good cond and low milage for the year (2004) having said that before i bought it from Audi i had a new turbo (it was rattling) and cam belt change for free so these maybe some of the things to look out for when buying high milage motors.

As my mechanic once said to me a car not used all week is worse than one being driven everyday hope this helps and thats my 2 pence worth good luck

As Byzan said. I'd rather buy a high mileage car thats been a reps motor for the last 3 or 4 years with 100k+ on the clock than somthing thats done half that but has had several other owners. There's peice of mind in the fact that the high mileage car was driven on motorways most likey cruising, as the owner will be of a mature age. The car would most probably only be serviced by Audi, but serviced on time every time, like Byzan said, quality service history on the car as the driver wasn't fitting the bill, his most likley well established company was.

I'd personally have a lot of confidence buying a couple year old motor with high miles that has just come straight from a fleet.

I got a 2tdi, early 2005 model, with 84k on the clocks.
Its now up to 102K in 18months and asside from wanting something better (a habbit of mine the moment i buy a new car) i havnt looked back and thought what have i done.

Remeber your buying a used car, so you have to accept and be prepared for the inevitable age related problems!! you cant buy it and expect it to be new :sm4:

also, for the milage your talking about i mite not bother with a diesel, you'll prob find you dont save that much. But thats just my opinion.

Have a look at the car, take a mate (they may spot something your rose tinted eyes dont) have a drive. But dont pick it apart, tyres and brakes ect shouldnt put you off buying one, if your worried about them wearing out, you should prob re think motoring :p

Brilliant car, so enjoy it!! i wont buy anything but an audi in future!!!!!!!!:kissmyrings::kissmyrings::kissmyrings:

Thanks for the replies!

Usual wear and tear like brakes etc doesnt bother me, its the bigger priced jobs that I'm cautious about.

In terms of reliability I was hoping it could go atleast 150,000 miles without too much hassle in the 2L TDI? I have an 11 year old Renault with only 60,000 on the clock which is only in the past 6 months started to give up problems with cutting out and starting up. I'm not sure if thats because of the age, the mileage or because it is French! Haha... Seriously though - I just want a car that i will enjoy for the next 3-4 years and have relatively little hassle with.

Should I just give up now and just ride my current car until its given up the ghost?

I don't know about the 2.0TDI, but a friend of mine has a 1.9TDI Passat with 240,000 miles and no serious issues yet. I know it's a different engine, but I would have hoped that VW/Audi had improved the reliability rather than reduced it.

Thanks for the replies!

Usual wear and tear like brakes etc doesnt bother me, its the bigger priced jobs that I'm cautious about.

In terms of reliability I was hoping it could go atleast 150,000 miles without too much hassle in the 2L TDI? I have an 11 year old Renault with only 60,000 on the clock which is only in the past 6 months started to give up problems with cutting out and starting up. I'm not sure if thats because of the age, the mileage or because it is French! Haha... Seriously though - I just want a car that i will enjoy for the next 3-4 years and have relatively little hassle with.

Should I just give up now and just ride my current car until its given up the ghost?
My a4 v6 tdi quattro is on 185k and drives better than a car with 60k ! I have of course upgraded/replaced a lot of susp. parts to keep myself happy- not because they were worn but because i drive the car hard and i wanna be safe not sorry. My other a6 avant is on 180k and i use-it mainly for towing (3 tonne trailer) and after the engine rebuild (due to a grease monkey who fitted a cheap Dayco cambelt wich broke 5 k after instalation !) i am confident that it will go another 200k with just minor consumables ! I wont be buying a new car mainly because they are not built as the older cars were ! Clutches who last "only" 50k, gearboxes and turbos who fail under 100k and poor/cheaply made electronics has put me off from gettin Anything made after 2001 ! As the other said, buy a car that drives and feel right not one that has a low reading on the odometer...

i bought mine at 100k a3 2.0tdi 2004 the car was well looked after interior and everything and drives perfectly. But its with luck i guess

I have over 130k on My A4 Avant and its still as tight and sweet as a 30k car. Don't get me wrong it has a full dealer history and I'm only the second owner. I used to think like yourself but my mind has been opened now I have owned/purchesed a cheaper high milage car.

I am starting to feel more confident in my decision to look for an higher mileage TDI now than going for a CTR :happy:

Adding an extrak 30k on top of 100k seems like a realistic option I suppose. Although you know what its like when you want to buy a new car, 6 months is a long time for your mind to change!:laugh:

CTR and the audi are two very different cars, so you need to decide if you want out and out performance or abit of style and comfort.

The CTR is not very nice to drive everyday, as you have to work it so hard to get the best from that K20. Its lack of torque makes it a crap car for motorways and anything where you arnt at the top of rev range really, which unless you wear a burbary cap isnt very often.

I would say, if your looking at spending 9k, spend 8k and keep 1k in the bank 'just in case'. This isnt to scare you, but like has been said, it is a seacond hand car so best to have something on reserve.

Just take one for a drive!!! you wont be desapointed!!!!

Oh I know they are totally different cars. CTR is just one of those cars that you really want to drive, but the A3 seems more like a sensible option for the £5k - £7k range. The A3 with the single grill S-Line bumper does look more appealing too.

Being a student the fuel costs, insurance and tax make more sense to go with a TDI than a CTR!

tdi they do moon miles,my a3 1.6 tdi is running ok its high miles,i paid only 4.5k its a SE its a 10 plate all the best...