How many miles do you get?

frankiejr

Reaction score
I have been so used to driving Diesels an getting a million miles to a tank it was a bit of a shock getting in the a4.

Currently i am on for 400ish miles to the tank. possibly with really careful driving i could get it up to 450.

What are you guys getting in standard A4 1.8T's? Any tips or mods for better consumption?

about 400 on a run in my quattro.

so at the moment im getting what i should!! thats a reality check.

so how much does it cost to fill the tank?

if your running at 75C you'll defo see an improvement once you fix the stat.

The most we've had from a tank is about 380miles which is averaging 31mpg.

I reckon on 34/35 on mine, now with 62k on the clock, plugs, oil and filters changed within the last 2k. Combination of town and A Road.

Full tank? Not sure I've ever had one of those....

Lol at the full tank comment :p

The way i see it, if you put the petrol in all at once, or make 10 visits putting a 5er in, your still putting the same cash in the tank each month, so ours gets brimmed, ran to the light, then brimmed again.

Probably actually saves you money as your not wasting petrol constantly driving to fuel up.

Dunno how your getting 34 from your turbo though. Dawn drives with a rather light foot, and a good portion of our driving is motorway and it still doesnt do much over 31. Even driving to her mums up the M90, which is 100miles of clear constant motorway driving will only return 31-32mpg...

Have you actually measured it properly?

i generally put in £40 and top up when its about empty. next time though i will fill it and see what i get over a full tank.

What capacity is the tank?

Ah, but surely driving with a full tank the whole time weighs more?!?

I jest, but the way cashflow is at the mo I can only justify about £20 at a time.

And yeah, thet 34mpg is about right. I measured it as an average on my trip across Europe, 3912 miles in one week on mainly fast roads, 34.1 mpg (computer said 36.5 and the readout hasn't changed much since I got home). Measured it on the old brim the tank and divide the quantity on the receipt by the miles travelled techniqe.

Unless my odometer is telling porkies I assume it's accurate..... not bad really!

jeez, i only get about 265-270 miles on average. that around 24mpg on my daily commute.
my old 1.9TDi used to get about 600-650miles to a tank!

ye i use the brim/odometer method too, and it comes out at 31 :(

Your never going to notice the fuel economy difference carrying 30kgs more fuel either.

Tyres do make a difference though, plastic fantastics that dont grip worth a **** tend to give less drag than a sticky tyre. Perhaps our 180k engine and box is just a bit worn an inefficient and thats costing us a few mpg or something.

The tanks capacity is 62L and its usually about £45ish to fill it from the light at todays prices (around 55L)

That's true, and I do tend to run my tyre pressures on the high side.

The not filling the tank thing is purely a stupid habit I've got into. When I had a company car I always used to fill it £20 at a time, purely 'cos the car used to frequently get loaned out to a customer and I hated giving my petrol away...

Ah, but surely driving with a full tank the whole time weighs more?!?

I jest, but the way cashflow is at the mo I can only justify about £20 at a time.

And yeah, thet 34mpg is about right. I measured it as an average on my trip across Europe, 3912 miles in one week on mainly fast roads, 34.1 mpg (computer said 36.5 and the readout hasn't changed much since I got home). Measured it on the old brim the tank and divide the quantity on the receipt by the miles travelled techniqe.

Unless my odometer is telling porkies I assume it's accurate..... not bad really!

does your '98 b5 have mpg figures? Is that because its a sport?

frankie: sport models (and possibly some others? might have been an option) have an electronic trip computer in the centre of the clocks which shows average and instantaneous fuel consumption, average speed, driving time, etc as well as electronic versions of the warnings you currently get in the middle of the panel, like low fuel.

audinary: yer i've always just brimmed the tank, partly because ive always tended to be doing pretty high mileages, we're currently using around a tank a week, and partly because i HATE sitting in queues! Was mildly annoying a few months back when we had that fuel shortage as folk were scowling at us across the forecourt for brimming the tank, when, unlike all the other muppets in the garage trying to squeeze another tenner into their already full tank, we're just doing what we always do.

frankie: sport models (and possibly some others? might have been an option) have an electronic trip computer in the centre of the clocks which shows average and instantaneous fuel consumption, average speed, driving time, etc as well as electronic versions of the warnings you currently get in the middle of the panel, like low fuel.

can the sport dials be retrofitted to the non-sport?