How many miles do you get out of you A4 1.9TDi??

A 2.5TDi q avant is 65 litres (I cant account for other models) and even running mine down to zero miles I've still only ever got a max of 61 litres in!

EDIT: Tank Capacities:

According to Audi literature:

Quattro models 66 Litres
Non Quattro models 70 Litres.

Which explains a lot as to why 1.9 drivers get more miles per tank!

Last edited:
I used to get 650-700 miles from a full tank in my 2002 1.9 TDI Sport Avant FWD but this recently started dropping to low 600's when doing the same journeys. A drop from 49mpg to 43mpg.

No fault codes were showing but after logging the maf expected and actual output values I noticed the maf was a lot of the time reading way out on the 3rd gear full load to 3000rpm test so I changed it. I have yet to run a full tank through it after changing the maf but at the moment its indicating I should achieve high 600's again.

The car has done 109k and has no record of having a maf replaced so I was up for changing it anyway. I'm so glad I did as it made a massive difference to the driveability, it now pulls a lot harder and is a lot more responsive, so for that alone it was well worth changing.

Interesting you get 65L in Marc, what size is the fwd tank, is it bigger?
FWD A4s have a 70 litre tank, quattros have a 63 litre tank.

BTW the best I got out of the 1.9TDi Sport 130 I used to have was 770 miles.

FWD A4s have a 70 litre tank, quattros have a 63 litre tank.

BTW the best I got out of the 1.9TDi Sport 130 I used to have was 770 miles.

I'd heard similar before, but wasn't sure.... That does explain a few things!!

edit: check the details on Parkers - looks like all the FWD's have 70 litres and all the Quattro's have 66 litres.... no difference for the gearboxes and the only exception I've seen for engines are the 1.9TDI's: FWD and Quattro are both 70 litre tanks for these!

Last edited:
edit: check the details on Parkers - looks like all the FWD's have 70 litres and all the Quattro's have 66 litres.... no difference for the gearboxes and the only exception I've seen for engines are the 1.9TDI's: FWD and Quattro are both 70 litre tanks for these!
I think you should ask Parkers to explain how the 70 litre fuel tank fits around the rear diff on the 1.9TDi quattro...

I wouldn't trust the details on Parker's - they don't have a great track record for accuracy, and with the 1.9TDi "confusion" that further blows their credibility.

I think you should ask Parkers to explain how the 70 litre fuel tank fits around the rear diff on the 1.9TDi quattro...

I wouldn't trust the details on Parker's - they don't have a great track record for accuracy, and with the 1.9TDi "confusion" that further blows their credibility.

I was wondering about that, but figured the rear diff must just be a different spec or something... dunno.... makes more sense that it's 66 for ALL the quattro's and 70l for the FWD's....

Only SE's have the full DIS as standard, the Sports just have the DTE gauge as standard.

I have the 1.9TDI sport 130, and i have the full DIS.

I normally put £30 of Vpower diesel (avg27-28ltrs) in every two weeks and i get around 350 miles out of that, mornings is a straight 20min run, A road and m/way no traffic. Coming home is always stop start and usually takes me around 45min to an hour, a total of 23miles round trip.

whats this about all Sports not having the full DIS???

I pick mine up in just over a week and i sure as hell hope it has the full DIS...

It has the big screen between the clocks, i remember when i was test driving it.. However i don't remember buttons being on the stalk.

Can this be changed if i don't have the full DIS?

Cheers!

Chris

Sports don't have full DIS as standard from the factory, if you are lucky it may have been specified as an option from new. Either way it is possible to retofit it, not cheap though from memory.

Sports don't have full DIS as standard from the factory, if you are lucky it may have been specified as an option from new. Either way it is possible to retofit it, not cheap though from memory.

so the big screen between the clocks is not "Full DIS" by default?

Full DIS consists of Average MPG, instant MPG, average speed, time and Distance to Empty with two memories. The options are scrolled by a rocker switch on the end of the indicator stalk.

As standards Sports just have the DTE gauge.

I hope that clarifies it. In honesty I have the full DIS and the car spends 95% of the time with the DTE showing anyway! Its only on longer journeys I scroll a bit.

Last edited:
Chris I have rhe DIS stalk for a saloon. If you're interested drops a PM.

I have got the Avant.. I assume the saloon stalk will not work with this as mine will have a rear wiper?

One point though, is it just as simple as replacing the stalk and enabling the features on vag-com?

If it is then i will probably do it at some point. I cover over 35k a year and i would be lost without my MPG readout!

Cheers!
Chris

My car: Audi A4 1.9TDI 130 Sport Avant
Details: Non quattro due a service now approx 70litre tank. Not remapped and driven town/motorway mixed driving.

I've just got 480miles + showing 50miles to go on reserve.. MPG = Approx 35mpg

i have a 52 plate a4 tdi sport audi say it has 70 litres tank and so dose the haynes manual i put 40 pounds in over a week ago and have done 200 miles and it says i have 200 left. but sure it will do about 150 as its around town on a run it would go up to 250 plus for sure

my 1.9 TDI SE front wheel drive returned 47 MPG average over 80,000. Tank range is about 700mi.

I am hopefully going to fit the DIS for mine this weekend so should be able to see MPG for real after that :)

over 80,000mi, the DIS on my 1.9 130 front wheel drive shows 47mpg (on DIS 2, the long term one).
Tank range is about 700mi.

over 80,000mi, the DIS on my 1.9 130 front wheel drive shows 47mpg (on DIS 2, the long term one).
Tank range is about 700mi.

Thats a very good tank range!! I only got my A4 on Friday and with a full tank thats showing about 600 mile.

51 plate TDi 130, 186k miles, 600-650 range on mainly motorway cruising. Have had it showing 720 but that was after limping to a petrol station for 10 miles at 50mph on the motorway with everything off. Shows 48mpg after 72 hours driving.

got to love that kinda mpg havent you and 186k so the audi tdi`s tend to go on and on then this is my first audi and got my self a 52 a4 tdi sports has 136k on it was a bit worred about that but not so much now

yep i 2nd that above, i bought mine with 125k (02) it drives fantastic, im getting 48mpg avg , and got rid of an 06 150bhp cdti for it, and dont regret it one bit! i too was a little concerned about the milage but looked on ebay and saw two 1 with 300k on and another with 192k selling at the then bids of 3k and 2.5k, dont know what they went for but i thought :sign_omg:

For anyone who is concerned about low mpg I spoke to a friend who is an Audi technician the other day about my constantly falling mpg and he said to change the temperature sensor.

I have an 02 1.9TDi (FWD) and mpg has gradually fallen to 43mpg now. It also has occasions where it takes a few seconds to start when cranking over which he also said is indicative of a failing temp sensor. He says the operating range on them is so wide that a failing one rarely flags up a fault on the diagnostics too.

For anyone who is concerned about low mpg I spoke to a friend who is an Audi technician the other day about my constantly falling mpg and he said to change the temperature sensor.

I have an 02 1.9TDi (FWD) and mpg has gradually fallen to 43mpg now. It also has occasions where it takes a few seconds to start when cranking over which he also said is indicative of a failing temp sensor. He says the operating range on them is so wide that a failing one rarely flags up a fault on the diagnostics too.

Funny you should mention this, as i was thinking the MPG on mine was a little low... So this eve when playing on VCDS (VAG-COM) i decided to do a full scan and found out that my temp sensor was reporting a fault!

Will get this replaced :)

Mileage not a problem there's a few B6's on other forums with 300+ and still going strong. I'm on 144k and running like a dream.

I thought I'd monitor my MPG as I'm not fortunate enough to have the MPG display like some of the SE members on here. The last time I posted my mpg was in 2009 when I first purchased my 1.9TDi I said I was getting 35mpg.

I filled up £20.01 @ Shell (Vpower) 13.62 liters purchased @ 1.469, it returned 32.38mpg.. 97miles.

This was local driving with some motorway miles in there also. The car has a remap and not driven hard. Regularly serviced, 144k. The boot has an excess of 150kilos at all times.

I have filled up again £20 regular shell to compare MPG and miles for the money.

your wasting your time doing it like that you need to brim it drive round for a bit then brim it again and work it out from that

you could easily have 2 or 3 litres left from your previous fill!!

Try this in a tank of bog standard diesel

Diesel Rhino

its will work out cheaper than V power and will give better performance and fuel consumption and a host of other engine benefits. I haven't dropped below 600 miles to tank yet but I've not yet done a full tank on a long cruise so i reckon I can hit 700 without too much trouble on a long run. Power feels good and engine warms up quicker. Its basically a cetane enhancer but also a great way to get premium fuel with out a huge tax penalty. The temp sender on the 1.9 tdi seems to be a serial culprit for lower mpg so get this sorted and add this stuff and you should see improvements.

Try this in a tank of bog standard diesel

Diesel Rhino

its will work out cheaper than V power and will give better performance and fuel consumption and a host of other engine benefits. I haven't dropped below 600 miles to tank yet but I've not yet done a full tank on a long cruise so i reckon I can hit 700 without too much trouble on a long run. Power feels good and engine warms up quicker. Its basically a cetane enhancer but also a great way to get premium fuel with out a huge tax penalty. The temp sender on the 1.9 tdi seems to be a serial culprit for lower mpg so get this sorted and add this stuff and you should see improvements.

Thanks for the information, I will most definitely look into some Diesel Rhino :) .. I had an issue where my temperature wouldn't reach 90degrees, was stuck at 70, a thermostat change has fixed that since.

I've been calculating my MPG based on the computer displaying 10miles remaining, whilst people will argue this isn't an accurate measurement and won't give me the information I seek this is how I've done it on my last 2 fill ups. I'll appreciate any more advice etc from other members. Thank you :)

Im getting about 1100 km ~ 680 miles on a tank, with some still in( 3-5 liters)
Mine is a remapped 130 bhp AVF FWD with EGR delete...
But fuel economy has dropped now when temp has dropped..

Try to leave it in gear (6th) when approaching a red light, like 3-500 meters before.. Instead of full speed, and then full brake.. Driving with the foot off the throttle, and remaining in gear, really increases Your average Mpg!!

Seen some who puts it in neutral when approaching red light.. Not good for Mpg(or brakes)

Big wheels, remaps and tuning does decrease Mpg if you drie the car hard. I have a b6 1.9 Tdi avant with a bv43, remap, EGR delete and it averages 44Mpg, best off a full tank was 600miles, usually get about 450 miles for a tank full with mixture of drive traffic and also fast pace on motorway 100+ Mph... Also running the aircon on does decrease the Mpg...

I filled my 1.9 tdi avf A4 to the brim two weeks ago, zero'd the clock and filled her back up again today......

I decided to drive my car easy and change gear before 2000 rpm (Usually 2500 rpm) and rearly crossed 60 mph to try and maximize how many miles I could get out of the tank

I did 671.4 miles on the full tank, DIS was saying I could do just 10 miles left.

It took 67.7 litres to fill tank again today (at a cost of €103 :crying:)

So I worked that out to be 44.7 MPG

Is that fairly reasonable I suppose I was hoping to get a bit more when I was driving easy :blush:

depends what type of driving your doing

on the commute to and from work for the missus she averages 44mpg its all 30's and 40's with a bit of stop start she drives like miss daisy

when I take her to work I drive it like I stole it and always get around 47mpg figure that out

depends what type of driving your doing

on the commute to and from work for the missus she averages 44mpg its all 30's and 40's with a bit of stop start she drives like miss daisy

when I take her to work I drive it like I stole it and always get around 47mpg figure that out

My daily commute is a 40 mile round trip on B roads(Single carriage ways) mostly now doddling around 45 to 50 mph....

When I get the thermostat changed it will be interesting to see if MPG then hopefully improve.

I'd love to drive it like I stole it and still get 47 mpg....Don't think I can take much more of this easy driving :racer:

I've got a low mileage 1.9tdi 130 sport avant quattro and I get 36.5mpg - daily commute total of 35miles on 60 + 70mph limit roads

I did notice a drop in mpg with the very cold weather though

1.9 tdi 130 remapped to 165ish. On my usual journey to work, 40 miles each way, 1/3 A roads, 1/3 motorway and 1/3 B roads I usually manage just under 600 miles to the tankful. My temp gauge sits at 70 degrees, so I need to sort out the temp sensor and thermostat which will hopefully get me another couple of mpg. This is sat at about 60-80 on the motorway with the occasional blat above that dependent on traffic! I've never sat down and done the sums but I'm quite happy with the mpg I seem to get.