How long will the car take once the build date starts to get to me?

brad9753

Reaction score
Originally I had a build date of start of July. I called up my salesman and said that If I booked a short break down south (where part of the point of it was to give it a good run- but don't tell the girlfriend that!!) on the 4th of September, is it a good bet that I will have it by then. He said he can guarenteed nothing but would say I'm safe. I said I would hold nothing against him if I did change. Well I booked it. And what do you know, the very next day I get a call from him saying my build date has changed to week 31 (29th July). He said that I am down as priority for taking delivery on the 1st of September and following days if it arrives due to my booking.

Based on everybody's experience, do you think it is likely to arrive before or on the 4th of September with a build week of week 31?

That would be 3 weeks from the end of the build week to delivery. It's certainly possible, but 4 weeks is officially the time they state. Personally I think you'd be fine, provided the dealer is quick in collecting it from the port and doing the PDI.

4 weeks from start of build week is typical so you should be fine unless customs hold it up.

More than possible. Mine was two months from initial order to being at the dealer!

That would be 3 weeks from the end of the build week to delivery. It's certainly possible, but 4 weeks is officially the time they state. Personally I think you'd be fine, provided the dealer is quick in collecting it from the port and doing the PDI.

As I understand it, dealers are not allowed to collect a car from the port. They have to wait for it to be delivered by the delivery company. Quite often this only takes a few days from the time it is driven off then ship.

As stated by others the normal period between the build date and it arriving at the dealers is 3-4 weeks. Ships leave Emden in Northern Germany with Audi cars for the UK almost every day.

4 weeks is about right, but the delay will be in final inspection at factory, boat to the port in the uk, car transporter to dealership then PDI so you can see the date sliding, but the sales person should keep you up to date as they are informed of all movement. I have been with my last 2 Audi's

My build week was first week of July and was a small possibility I could have got my car by end July before hols, but as it was going to be tight, opted to take it on 1st September.

so in your case build at end of July will also be tight for 1st September collection. Suggest you push for a courtesy car if you car is not ready because of the booked holiday based on dealer recommendation.

Well just got the build week confirmed! And hopefully you are all right!

see my recent post....mine would have been 3 weeks from build week to collection had I decided to take it ASAP

Morning all, I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd just pop my head up and say hello.

I appreciate all of the info contained within this thread; as you can see from my signature, I have joined the back of the queue and I wait impatiently for the delivery of my new S3, currently order status 10 build week 45. I'm really excited about this car; I had a few on my shortlist (Mercedes AMG, Focus RS, Golf R, BMW M2, etc.) but having watched and read dozens of reviews, I am very comfortable with my choice. I did struggle with the colour choice a little and may have selected the Nano grey had it been an option for the new S3. However, I thought that the black edition with the pan roof would really mesh well with Glacier White. It will be the first white car I've ever owned. I have had an Audi before, an A3 way back in 2001. It didn't have the grunt of some of my later cars but I did enjoy driving it and I loved the build quality. Although I live in the North West of England, I ordered my S3 from Bury St Edmunds Audi which, coincidentally, is just up the A14 from my company's office in Felixstowe. Reading this thread in conjunction with the dealer's estimate, I am anticipating a January collection although I'm hoping that I might get lucky and that it will arrive pre-Christmas.

Glad to be here!

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, S32B and Jassyo06
As I understand it, dealers are not allowed to collect a car from the port. They have to wait for it to be delivered by the delivery company. Quite often this only takes a few days from the time it is driven off then ship.

As stated by others the normal period between the build date and it arriving at the dealers is 3-4 weeks. Ships leave Emden in Northern Germany with Audi cars for the UK almost every day.
If the dealer really needed the car they are allowed to self collect from port. It just costs them a lot more to go down this option.

If the dealer really needed the car they are allowed to self collect from port. It just costs them a lot more to go down this option.
Hi keith and welcome to the forums :) Congratulations on reviving this thread after over 4 years as well :p

I ordered my S3 around the 5th October 2015, they told me it would be around February for delivery, that was great as I had to keep the car I had bought off the company until March! (can't sell them for 12 months after you bought it). A week before Christmas he said my car was there and I could have it!!! It went to the compound Dec-March :blink: So you may be lucky, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

I assume that's you with the Capri and the Wham outfit? :) They are worth a few quid these days!...the Capri not the Wham outfit :p

The white/black combination on any car goes well, especially on the saloon S3 ;) I'm due an A5 in white anytime now, been thinking of going for a black wrap on the mirrors and roof, this is the (poor) photoshop I did to see what it looked like :D

Whvblk

Reactions: KeithJLambert
I ordered a fully loaded S3 5 door sportback on the 8th May 17 . The dealer did point out that because of the spec I would be in for a long wait, with this in mind I didn’t bother to track the order I just sat back for a long wait. Well you can imagine my surprise when the dealer telephoned me and told me my car had arrived with them on the 19th July 17. I have never had any new Audi that I have ordered arrive so quickly.

Hi keith and welcome to the forums :) Congratulations on reviving this thread after over 4 years as well :p

I ordered my S3 around the 5th October 2015, they told me it would be around February for delivery, that was great as I had to keep the car I had bought off the company until March! (can't sell them for 12 months after you bought it). A week before Christmas he said my car was there and I could have it!!! It went to the compound Dec-March :blink: So you may be lucky, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

I assume that's you with the Capri and the Wham outfit? :) They are worth a few quid these days!...the Capri not the Wham outfit :p

The white/black combination on any car goes well, especially on the saloon S3 ;) I'm due an A5 in white anytime now, been thinking of going for a black wrap on the mirrors and roof, this is the (poor) photoshop I did to see what it looked like :D

View attachment 138928

Thank you! And for sharing your delivery experience; that must have been really tough, knowing that the car was there and waiting for you. The A5 looks very nice in the photoshop image you produced, I think that would be a great choice.

And yes (hands up), that is me circa 1986 with my gold 2.0S...and Andrew Ridgley attire! Good times; although I had more powerful Capris after that, I felt really at one with that car and did many a mile in it travelling from Portsmouth to Lytham and back most weekends.

Thank you! And for sharing your delivery experience; that must have been really tough, knowing that the car was there and waiting for you. The A5 looks very nice in the photoshop image you produced, I think that would be a great choice.

And yes (hands up), that is me circa 1986 with my gold 2.0S...and Andrew Ridgley attire! Good times; although I had more powerful Capris after that, I felt really at one with that car and did many a mile in it travelling from Portsmouth to Lytham and back most weekends.
It was, but I'd bought the company car for £10k and sold it for £14k ;) so that eased the wait...if I had sold it before the 12 months was up, I'd have had to give the company the profit!

My mate had the 2.8 in black, looked great. He ended up putting a paving slab in the boot to keep it stuck to the road on bends etc :D

It was, but I'd bought the company car for £10k and sold it for £14k ;) so that eased the wait...if I had sold it before the 12 months was up, I'd have had to give the company the profit!

My mate had the 2.8 in black, looked great. He ended up putting a paving slab in the boot to keep it stuck to the road on bends etc :D

I can understand that :yes: I have the option to buy my current company car too but I don't think that I'd reach the margin that you achieved so I may just keep it simple and hand it back. Ahhh yes, the 2.8i. That was the last Capri that I owned but it turned into a financial ball and chain, blowing head gaskets, etc. (I stupidly rushed into buying it). I've heard the paving slab tale many a time within Capri circles!

Reactions: S32B
Morning all, I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd just pop my head up and say hello.

I appreciate all of the info contained within this thread; as you can see from my signature, I have joined the back of the queue and I wait impatiently for the delivery of my new S3, currently order status 10 build week 45. I'm really excited about this car; I had a few on my shortlist (Mercedes AMG, Focus RS, Golf R, BMW M2, etc.) but having watched and read dozens of reviews, I am very comfortable with my choice. I did struggle with the colour choice a little and may have selected the Nano grey had it been an option for the new S3. However, I thought that the black edition with the pan roof would really mesh well with Glacier White. It will be the first white car I've ever owned. I have had an Audi before, an A3 way back in 2001. It didn't have the grunt of some of my later cars but I did enjoy driving it and I loved the build quality. Although I live in the North West of England, I ordered my S3 from Bury St Edmunds Audi which, coincidentally, is just up the A14 from my company's office in Felixstowe. Reading this thread in conjunction with the dealer's estimate, I am anticipating a January collection although I'm hoping that I might get lucky and that it will arrive pre-Christmas.

Glad to be here!

Hi,

I’m too sat on status 10 with an estimated build week 45.

I keep checking, hoping to see that the status has changed and the date has been locked down! It’s been switching between bw 45,46 and 47 since ordered my car at the start of September.

The guy at the dealership said that he’s pretty hopeful my car will be delivered before Christmas.

Fingers crossed!

Hi,

I’m too sat on status 10 with an estimated build week 45.

I keep checking, hoping to see that the status has changed and the date has been locked down! It’s been switching between bw 45,46 and 47 since ordered my car at the start of September.

The guy at the dealership said that he’s pretty hopeful my car will be delivered before Christmas.

Fingers crossed!

Good luck, I hope that you are able to enjoy the car over Chrsitmas! As we have both been allocated the same build week, it will be interesting (spec/options aside) to see how both deliveries pan out. I think my dealer was a little surprised that my build week was so soon; I ordered my car at the beginning of October, so I was about a month behind you.

Thank you!

Wow, beginning of October? That’s good. I ordered beginning of September but was given an earlier build slot from July!

I don’t think I’ve ordered anything that warrants too much of a wait.. A3 sportback S line, only extras are folding door mirrors and hill hold assist..

Hopefully they’ll do what they can do that people can enjoy their new cars over Christmas! I’ve got 3 weeks off work over Christmas and NY.. it’s going to be a long old 3 weeks if I’m still waiting....

Fingers crossed Christmas comes early for the both of us

FWIW, I ordered an A3 SB BE on October 1st and the dealer said it should be with me early December.

Reactions: K4R3N_86